Format: Blu-rayChange

TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 22 September 2013
This was such a different film when it first came out, creating a dinosaur from the blood ingested by a Jurassic period mosquito. Imagine it, a theme park with live dinosaurs!

Most people are aware of the plot of this great film. Dino theme park, something goes wrong and all hell breaks loose. After that there are just different reasons to return to Dino Isle.

The first film is by far the best, with the other 2 stretching the theme a bit. A forth film is due in 2015, but I think they have milked it enough - we'll have to wait and see.

The blu-ray quality is second to none. I had a much better appreciation of the film than I did with the DVD version. The reptilian skins seem much more real.The audio has transferred well with the all important and infamous thump, thump when T-rex is homing in - that really does resonate well through the speakers.

I bought my set for 8GBP and for that I had a bargain and excellent VFM. At the time of writing the set is at 17GBP - I don't think it is worth that much. Put it on your wish list and watch for the price to drop.
55 comments25 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 November 2011
This review concerns the Jurassic Park Blu-Ray set. I have watched all three films and the transfer is satisfactory and while the picture is not flawless it is quite good. I am glad I bought this set, I have heard there is some grain but I didn't really spot any even in darker scenes. The scene in the first film with the T-Rex breaking out of the paddock had great picture. If anything it is the third film that has the worst quality. This is a good set and while not everyone will be satisfied with the picture the sound is incredible. The 7.1 Audio certainly makes itself known as I was able to tell even in the first scene that it is a vast improvement over TV broadcasts and DVD and arguably rivals the cinematic release in terms of quality. I again refer to the T-Rex paddock scene with the volume turned on loud it was amazing to hear. If you have a decent sound system I would highly recommend this set and I would consider getting better sound equipment for this purpose. The extras are decent but not fantastic, the new documentary 'Return to Jurassic Park' would have been better if only it had been a little longer just seemed too brisk and I would liked to have seen more. It features good archival features as well, but the only deleted scenes I have seen are for the second film with only two of them anyway. The one thing I would have liked are deleted scenes of the first film and yet they have failed to surface on this set.
To summarise though I would recommend this set as the sound quality makes up for any picture that isn't quite up to scratch but when it is up to scratch you'll see that it is amazing.
0Comment45 of 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 September 2005
Everybodies seen Jurassic Park but if you hav'nt...what are you waiting for? Even looking back, it's amazing that a 12 year old film can still have such brilliant special effects. These dinosaurs LOOK REAL!!! You don't think of them as special effects but as actual creatures and Spielberg never lets you forget that their not just a bunch of monsters but animals. Great cast-Sam Niel, Laura Dern, Jeff Goldblum and Richard Attenburgh are all excellent (a then little known Samuel L Jackson has a supporting role too!). The action is delivered with just the right amount of suspense. The end scene with the raptors is tops. 10/10
The Lost World is not bad but feels pretty uninspired. Jeff Goldblum as clown figure=great but his character as a leading man just dos'nt work and you can't help but want Sam Neil in his place. Julianne Moore and Pete Postlewait are much better but mainly the films just lukewarm as if Spielberg just wanted a film about people being chased by dinosaurs. The T-Rex and raptors are back and the really little ones have a scene stealing moment but on the whole it's not a patch on the original. 6/10
Jurassic Park 3 is much better. Joe Johnston dispenses with most the ethics subtext and concentrates on delivering a theme park ride of a movie. Short and sweet. The new dinosaurs are excellent Pterodons finally get an action scene after being introduced by Spielberg about 5 seconds before the end of the second film .Sam Neil is back reminding you just how great the first film was and the raptors are developed further and unlike the Lost World where they seened a bit foolish, come across as just as dangerous as in the original movie. The ending is a let down (I guess it was meant to be tense but it isn't coz we know the characters will survive) and theres a major cop out but overall a fun movie. 8/10
Great range of special features. Mainly on the effects. Theres a few things I would have liked to see-why does the Lost World disc contain the Dinosaur Encyclopedia for the creatures from the first film only? But overall this is near enough to be truly considered the Ultimate Edition of these films. Great. And the price dos'nt hurt for what you get too!
0Comment53 of 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 August 2005
Do-you-think-he-saurus!
Without a doubt a collection of some of the finest movies ever put on film.
Firstly, with Jurassic Park, a film which redefined movie history. Realistic computer effects put in the ``Ooohhh!'' factor - and nothing ever beat seeing that on the big screen. The dinosaurs are just as impressive to us, as they are to Dr. Alan Grant (Sam Neill) when he sees them for the first time. The dinosaurs look living and breathing, and still look good today.
Even on the small screen, it doesn't take anything away from the film. This is mainly down to Spielberg's great direction, building the suspense by keeping most of the dinosaurs out of view for the entire first half of the film. And then exploding them out in a action packed ending.
Everything is authentic - the look, the roars, the interaction with the human cast - astounding. OK, everybody has seen it, but it's worth adding to your DVD collection.
Unfotunately The Lost World is not as good (3 stars). It is more of the same. Once again, a slow build up that is actually boring, but at least the dinosaurs appear earlier too. The plot line of rescuing someone stuck on dino island is pretty thin, but once the action kicks in you don't mind so much. The cliff top fight with the T-Rex and the trailer, and the Raptors in the long grass stand out, as does Jeff Goldblum's Ian Malcolm. However, the T-Rex in the city ending feels tacked on, and fairly pointless. Dissapointing.
Luckily Part 3 picks up again (4 stars). It's a cut to the chase movie. No introduction - let's just get the characters onto Dino isle, and have them run through the forest narrowly missing being chomped on by huge teeth. Taken as it is, it's a non-stop thrill ride for 90 minutes. The dinos are even more impressive, theres some great humour, and a big ruck between a Spinosaurus (The new bad dino on the block) and a T-Rex which looks stunning.
Spielberg passed directing duties over to Joe Johnston for this, and he proves a fair whack at the action. Impressive.
Overall, it's a must-have collection for anybody, not just movie fans!
0Comment56 of 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 July 2013
It labeled as 'Region Free" but does not play either on my blu-ray player and my computer's blu-ray drive! Not sure it is because I received a broken one or it is actually not "region free". Bought "Planet Earth" before and it worked. Bad!
on 13 July 2015
I was so excited to receive this item, being such a fan! But I was disappointed by how I have to play these discs in order to get the sound to play. In order for me to play these on any of my blu ray players I must place a completely different film into the blu ray player first and then swop the disc back to any of which films I would like to watch. It is very annoying and it happens on all of my blu ray players. Other than that blip I have to say the item came in good nick. But once I get the film to play the audio sounds great but the picture seems to be Very, poor quality. So much so I would rather watch the DVD version than this pixelated rubbish. The this is a sign of video conversion and enhancement. All in all I am very disappointed with this item.
on 28 February 2008
The collection comes in a regular 4-DVD box, rather than the nice fold-out sleeve pictured, which seems a bit of a cop-out on the presentation front.

Content extrmely good, as we know, the films are great entertainment, and the extras aren't half-bad either. The film quality is better than mentioned by one of the other reviews, looking particularly good on a sharp LCD screen. Don't expect it to perform on HD, but that's the beauty of those new TVs, they make your old films look worse so you buy them again...a lovely bit of self-marketing. In short, if you have a regular telly, don't worry about the picture quality, it looks just as you'd expect it to.

Well worth a purchase if you don't have these films.

Two thumbs up.
0Comment15 of 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 June 2015
I used to watch Jurassic Park all the time as a kid so before purchase it would of been over 12 years since i seen these films and wow that seems insane but i never forgot any part of the first 2.

To get the Trilogy for such a great price it was an offer than couldn't be refused.
The films are great and you get loads of special features too which i also remember seeing on TV, it's all old special features so they don't look glamorous but it's all interesting stuff.

The films are great, I've watched the first 2 so far so i can't comment on the 3rd.
on 24 May 2012
I love this boxset. firstly all of the films look alot better than the dvd forms as expected. secondly id like to add to what others have mentioned here, i believe that the lost world is the worst transfer of the three, then the third and then the first. I know this may sound crazy but the first film really is amazing in hd, i dont know how they did it but it looks better than some modern day films, there are only a few scenes where it doesnt seem to flow as well such as the kitchen scene with the raptors and the dino dna section.
9/10.
on 17 January 2008
For starters, I absolutely LOVED Jurassic Park (5/5), and quite enjoyed Jurassic Park: The Lost World (3/5) and Jurassic Park 3 (3/5). I'd never owned any of these on dvd before I bought this set, so to have the option to buy them all together like this was quite handy - and I got it for £7 in a sale, bargain.

That having been said, I found the extras disc to be a bit useless. For the most part, I found it to be very similar to the extras already included with each film. There were slight differences - and 1 or 2 new documentaries added, but certainly not enough to justify an entire extra disc.

Perhaps I'm holding my expectations a little high, but having owned the Special Editions of the Lord of the Rings films (those who own these sets will understand what I mean) - the level of the extras within this "Ultimate" edition of the JP Trilogy just dont stand up.

However, for the price - to be able to get all these films together in one set isn't that bad. Just be warned, if you already have these films seperately on DVD - DONT GET THIS SET FOR THE EXTRAS. It just isn't worth it.
22 comments10 of 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse