on 18 August 2011
Usually I let my hair get quite long before going and getting a short cut at the local barbers (about £10 a time). As my hair on top is getting slightly thinner and more noticeable when my hair is longer I wanted to be able to keep it short regularly trimming it back.
I used the "medium" comb on its longest setting to achieve the length I wanted. I were pleasantly surprised when the end result was a great even cut all over. Trimming loose hairs at the back of your head is hard but the rotating head and hand mirror makes it easier.

The quality is great and Phillips seem to have put a lot of research into the development of this product to make it as easy as possible for the end user to operate.

4 Stars because even though it is a great product, for the price I think it should have included a case/ bag of some sort for storage.
11 comment| 83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 September 2011
I bought a pair of these clippers from another website because there was a four week wait for Amazon's £29.99 bargain pair and I needed them quickly. I had an old pair of Babyliss clippers that were getting increasingly hotter every time I used them and the grade one comb guide I used had begun to melt.

I was always quite happy with my Babyliss clippers until I started to use these. They are nice and light without being too light and plasticy and glide over my head so smoothly that it takes half the time to cut my hair. The clippers come with three comb guides, a precision trimmer, a cleaning brush and a handheld mirror. The mirror has an elastic hand strap so you can use it with one hand and not worry about dropping it. There is no hairdresser's cape or carry case included with this item which is a slight negative but can be forgiven for the quality of the items you do get.

I normally cut my hair down to grade one (3mm), and was worried when I bought these that they wouldn't cut as short as I like, but using the shortest of the comb guides (1-3mm) I got a perfect cut at 3mm. I even went a bit shorter to 2mm and will use this setting from now on - but beware - 1mm doesn't sound like a big difference but it's quite significant, especially, if like me you are blonde haired. I now look completely bald!

The rotating head on the clippers is a great idea but does take some getting used to - persevere and you'll get there in the end!

All in all, I would highly recommend this item and am so glad I bought them myself - any doubters should take the plunge and wouldn't regret it!
on 9 December 2011
Having used multiple clippers over the years (generally binning them when the guard attachments broke - I admit I'm too lazy to try and get replacements), these are by far the best clippers I've owned to date. I've had all sorts - corded, cordless, ceramic... The main difference I notice is the weight of them, extremely light (perhaps half the weight of other clippers I've had) - yet despite this they are as powerful and perfectly up for the job. Even though I've never had a issue with other weightier clippers, the lightness of these really helps when cutting your own hair. Yeah the head part rotates, yeah it helps somewhat (mainly for comfort if you take an age to get the back of your hair right) but honestly the main sell point is the weight and value. Of course they only get 5* because they do a good, even job of cutting too.

Guards go from 1mm-30mm, can also be used without a guard for tidying sideburns etc. Blades are self-sharpening/maintaining so no worries there. Also waterproof but I don't trust them/me quite enough to stick them under the tap just yet; the typical brush is included for a quick clean. There's a mirror included to help you see the back of your head, nice touch. Unfortunately no carrying pouch so bit of a fumble to get them back into the box... nevermind.

Charging takes 1hr to fully charge which equals 1hr of cutting time... nice and quick, other clippers always took an age to charge and I had to think 'ahead' to charge up beforehand. A flashing light indicates when charging and a solid-state light shows when charged. They can be used with the charger attached for emergency head sharpening events, but much better to use cordless.

Fully recommended!
on 22 December 2013
Worked great the first couple of times I used it, but the third time, as others have also reported here, it started making a high pitch noise for a second then cutting itself off, as if it was warning of being jammed. I tried brushing out hairs and taking out the cutters and putting back in, but it kept doing it. Not only that, but this last time I realised after cutting one side of my hair, that it was shorter than I wanted. Having double check what setting it was on, I realised it had altered from what I set it to. I had set it to 15 but it had gone to 7! I decided to test by rotating it to the highest setting, then gently pushing in, and realised that a firm but not too firm push would actually move the comb attachment in and adjust the setting. So you only need to push down slightly while cutting your hair for it to adjust and cut your hair shorter than you wanted! Totally not acceptable! This, together with the constant cutting out, made me throw it to my kitchen floor in anger. I am now on the look out for a better quality one, and will NOT be buying from Philips range again!
on 23 July 2012
i had the previous version of this shaver, whilst it was ok the head never cut short enough for me, let me tell you there are no such worries with this shaver. You can shave down to 1mm with it, you alter the setting with either a different length comb or like me you put the smallest comb on and then you can actually rotate the head of the shaver down in increments of point 5 of a mill, it shows the length of cut on the back of the unit, very handy. The main head can be rotated around so that you can cut easily in different directions. I am very happy with the razor and is a leap from the earlier model, i just hope that it lasts a bit longer than the last one that died on me, so far i cannot fault it, at the time of buying amazon had shaved a bit off the price too, will add about the longevity later or when it eventually dies.
on 3 August 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
For a start, I am a baldy and shave my head twice per week on the shortest setting (without the plastic comb attachments). I have used this shaver twice now, and my thoughts are that the clippers are very efficient, they cut my head very short and I would absolutely recommend these for a decent short cut. The drawback for me was that it's a bit fiddly when you start turning the rotating head round to get to harder to reach places. With a traditional shaver, you simply hold it differently to get to the hair behind your ear and you tend to learn (with practice) how to get to these hard to reach places. With this thing, I found it to be a bit of a hassle. I am certainly going to stick with it for a while longer simply because it is so efficient at shaving, but if I am being honest, there are lots of alternatives out there that cost a fair bit less that do the same job, only with a bit less messing about. I will review this review in 1 month once I have used more regularly.
99 comments| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 January 2012
I got one of these from Amazon but it was missing parts and since I needed to use it on my son before school went back I ended up looking for one locally, having read the other reviews I was determined to find this model as it sounded just great...oh how wrong could I have been! I finally found one in town for £35 so only £5 more than from Amazon and was happy with that, took it straight home and got to work on my own hair, horror of horrors this thing is incapable of cutting hair straight! I've been cutting my own hair for over 10 years so know what I'm doing, If you want to use the 1-3mm guide you should find no problem with this at all, if you want to use the 18-30mm guide you will have a little of the problem that happens with the other guide (which I'll get to) but I would say that in general you should be OK. however the 3-15mm guide is made of the same type of plastic as the 18-30mm but due to the shorter hair length the plastic is thinner and unable to hold its shape, it flexes in the middle with very little pressure and as a result the edges of the clipper cut at the requested length but the middle flexes and is closer to the 3mm minimum where the plastic can flex no further. Horror-struck I had to cut my whole head at 3mm to tidy it up, I work in face to face customer service and my boss was REALLY happy with me this morning I can tell you! With great care I was able to do my sons hair at 18mm and while I didn't try it I think that the larger 18-30mm guide should be OK but to be honest I'd give it a miss. I now have 2 of these to be returned, one to Amazon and the other in to town and a Wahl one on order from Amazon to replace them, hope this review helps to save someone a little time by not ordering one of these and then having to send it back. Only one star as it wont let me give it any less!!
on 8 January 2012
Tried this out for the first time today on the 9mm setting, and unfortunately the hair guide bends significantly in the middle. What this effectively means is that my hair is 9mm where the edge of the blade has gone over it, but in the middle of the blade it's 2-3mm!!! This is a major design fault and you'd think philips would have picked this up at design stage.

To give it it's dues, it is reasonably quiet and very effective - it cut through my hair no problem. But because the guide deforms, in areas of your head that aren't flat the hair guide bends and cuts that bit shorter than the rest!

If you use it on only the minimum setting of each hair guide (i.e. 1mm, 3mm or 18mm) then it'll work, but if you want any other length then do not buy this as it will not give a reliable cut. I'll try and upload photos to show this.
review image review image
on 9 November 2011
Being my first clipper I cant really compare it to any other products out there, all I can say is that I'm very happy with this product and the results it gives. I'm the kind of bloke who hates the monthly chore of going into the hairdresser and wasting an hour of my life @ £15 a pop (for some reason I always tip a couple of quid). My only regret is that it's taken me until my 40s to discover how simple it is to go the DIY route.

I was a little apprehensive after reading about some peoples attempts to clip their own hair. So I decided to have a barbers haircut just before buying this clipper. I was then able to experiment while my hair was already near enough the way I wanted it and gradually gain in confidence as I kept my hair tidy; I haven't looked back. The other tip I'd give to fellow newbies is to check out YouTube for vids of people showing how they clip their own hair - I picked up some very useful info there.

As for the clipper itself, I found it very easy to use and don't remember even looking at the manual - no need it's self explanatory, love the twisty head and I'll never be going to the Hairdressers again!
on 2 December 2012
I received the product well on time (one day earlier).

Easy to use, easy to clean, no design flaws, good battery, overaly performs as advertised*.

I read on other reviews that they had issues with the flexible plastic cuting shorter in the middle, but this is not true, some of them were used to their previous models and put too much force when using. You just have to not put excessive power with your hand when using, let it slide wthout pressing it down and it will do the job. I got imediately used to it and had no problems whatsoever from the first time I used it.

I've only had this for about a month, 2-3 uses so far, so I have no data on its viability/endurance at this time.
*EDIT: I've had this product for 1+ year and it has proven rather durable, its changeable heads have also survived trips tightly packed into luggage.

*small exception is that it does indeed need some minimum lubrication despite what the company says in the descritpion - just a few drops every 2-3 months from a small vial of oil included in the package, quite easy to do.