on 24 November 2012
The hat arrived well-packaged and on time. I was a bit dubious about whether it would be warm enough for sub-zero temperatures but was reassured by earlier reviewers. It's comfortable to wear, lightweight and warm, and easy to stuff into your pocket. I felt the peak would also be useful to keep the sun out of my eyes when cold but sunny as you can push it up and down.

If you aren't sure what size to get, use a tailor's measuring tape around your head from forehead to crown, allow yourself an extra 1/4 inch and refer to the sizing guide. I ended up with XL and thought that doesn't sound right, but when it arrived the fit was perfect.
on 19 September 2011
Wasn't sure if the product description was going to disappoint. I am glad to say this hat is great! I feel the cold but the Berghaus cap cuts the cold and keeps you warm and dry. Excellent purchase, well worth every cent I paid for it and Amazon did not disappoint in timely delivery!
on 3 January 2012
Bought this for my wife who couldn't find a hat that was waterproof and stayed on her head whilst walking the dogs. This is just the job, all the quality that you expect from Berghaus and a really good fit. Won't win any fashion shows mind.
Sick of wollen hats that let the cold wind through the weave and water soaks in, this caught my eye as a replacement. It is made by Berghaus who provide quality outdoor get. It is waterproof, windproof and thermal lined. This arrived just in time for the cold snap and sudden snowfall. I left the car at home and decided to walk to my destination. The hat fits snugly on the head and has a pull cord at the back so that yo can tighten it up, no wind will move it. The ear flaps cover the ears well and the peak comes down to stop rain hitting the face. I was able to walk the mile to my destination and upon arrival, my heat was lovely and warm and hair bone dry. I did not feel the cold once on my head. It is lightweight and easily folds away into a tiny space. The only criticism I have is that it needs 2 catches on the cap so that the ear flaps can be held up out of the way when not needed. Great buy that will last years to come.
on 22 April 2012
This hat is exactly what I have been looking for. I scrunches up into a pocket but is lovely and warm and comfy when on, its completely water proof when you don't want your hood up. When the rain is horrendous, its a great additional water proofing.
on 7 December 2012
When you first put it on and look in the mirror you get a bit of a fright, especially after wearing a (soogy) beanie for so long. But, when it rains and you put the wired peak down to protect your face and eyes, what the h.... It really is waterproof and windproof, but not extra warm because it is not warm lined. But it certainly cuts down on the wind chill. I have a smallish head but the medium size suits me fine.
on 26 August 2015
Absolutely fantastic item - if you need a waterproof hat for moderately cold conditions go no further and pay no more. I added a chinstrap from something else I had and connected it to the loops on the ear covers - now it won't blow off even in the windiest conditions (proven in the field!). This item has my highest recommendation - you will stay warm and dry for hours, even sweating profusely.
on 14 April 2015
Having read other reviews regards small sizing, I ordered the size large and it fit me perfectly, it has adjustable toggle which helps give really snug fit for windy mountain tops!!
It has a fleece lining and ear flaps which kept my head lovely and warm on recent walking trip to Scotland. The peak/visor at front of hat is wired so you can shape and adjust and it is wide enough to give total protection to face from rain - something which I appreciate being a lumbered with having to wear glasses!
Its not the most fashionable hat but its very practical and comfortable to wear. Perhaps my only criticism would be the awful logo on front but that's personal opinion
on 13 May 2016
LOVE IT!
I really struggle getting hats to fit my little head!
This is a great fit and such a versatile design I know i'll use it a lot and have it a long time. Other walking friends have coveted it....
on 11 January 2013
Tried this as part of the continuing search for a good winter hat.
With the ear flaps down, it's not particularly comfortable but does keep me reasonably warm and does keep the rain off my specks