Format: Audio CDChange

Having heard little bits of Hawaiian-born American singer Bruno Mars here and there on Youtube (enough to remember him), I saw this in the supermarket today and took a gamble on it. Glad I did! ... It's not my usual thing (I'm more into Ska, Rock and Indie), but I took an instant warm to "Doo-Wops and Hooligans".

I suppose, given his LA/Hawaii roots, his musical style is somewhat understandable: from the first track, my room filled with an uplifting (and stylish) mixture of breezy, summery pop (lightly influenced by cool, urban reggae -- though it's more pop than anything). Bruno's soft (lightly falsetto) voice is perfectly matched with his cool-beats and Caribbean-toned music. It feels like you should be listening to this on a hammock with a glass of coconut juice and crashing waves beside you ))

The songs are a blissful mixture of sunny romantic ballads and lazy chillout tracks. Personal highlights, are the addictive opener "Grenade" the appropriately titled (and infectiously inspirational) toe-tapper "The Lazy Song" ("Today I don't feel like doing any-thing...") and the moving "Count on Me". That said, though, there isn't any really any filler on the album: due to the style it's just perfect for kicking off your shoes and lying down with a of cuppa ))! My only ("slight") niggle, is that track 2 "Just The Way You Are" sounds very similar to Alicia Keys "Doesn't Mean Anything" (Element of Freedom). So close as to be little more than a complete rip-off!....(Search out the mash-ups online, they fit almost perfectly!)

Quibble aside you can't really go wrong with this album. If you like lazy, chilled-out, uplifting music go out and get it -- it's the perfect tonic for all those blue, wintry days.
66 comments65 of 73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 March 2011
I treated myself to this CD because my grandsons were always singing songs from it, and I kept hearing Bruno Mars on the car radio on my way to work. I was already familiar with 'Grenade' and 'Just the way you are', but 'Our first time' has a great reggae beat to it and it's so good to hear Damian Marley featured on 'Liquor Store Blues' - I've spent half my life listening to Bob Marley's music. Celo Green is featured on 'The Other Side' and he has a huge voice (bought his album too!). To keep it brief, there isn't a track on here that I don't enjoy, and I'd recommend it to anyone.
0Comment32 of 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 June 2011
If you have any doubt in your mind whether or not to buy, let me persuade you.

You start with Grenade, fantastic song, fantastic lyrics.

Just the way you are. Tell's it how it is, the only problem is, you won't look good infront of your girlfriend while this is playing in the car.. Bruno tops you everytime with the lyrics!!!

skip past 'our first time' if your mum is with you, can be a bit awkward!!! very suggestive lyrics..

Runaway baby is brilliant, my personal favourite. Such an energetic song to portray Bruno's vocal talent.

The lazy song is a fun little tune, basically tells you what you should be doing on a lazy saturday!

skip to talking to the moon, simply amazing. just amazing.

Liquor store blues, with damian marley is fantastic,

the other side, somewhere in brooklyn and talking to the moon acoustic top this album off.

Only downside is CD case was cracked at the front and on the top joint, i simply replaced top cover with an old CD!!
although i think this was Royal Mails fault due to slight damage to packaging...

Please buy and Enjoy!!!
0Comment25 of 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
'Bruno Mars' (Born 'Peter Gene Hemandez' in Honolulu Hawaii in 1985) a talented singer/songwriter -record producer and
indeed choreographer is without doubt one of musics great talents of these times.
This album his most successful to date, in fact it's in the Top-Ten best selling albums of the decade which given it's track-
listings is of little surprise.
Since breaking into the U.K Chart back in 2010 he's achieved 5 Chart-Toppers, three of which are indeed on this album, those
being - 'Grenade' and my personal favourite 'The Lazy Song' and of course 'The Way You Are'
Other tracks from this album have of course also featured in the U.K singles Chart such as, 'Marry You' (great number) (Chart '11')
and 'Runaway Baby' (Chart '19') along with one or two lower-order entries.
He has of course had success since the release of this album with i'm sure much more yet to come.
Great Album....certainly one for the collection.
on 6 November 2011
For anyone fed up of computer over produced same sounding songs this album is ideal. It is just what music used to sound like well written melodies with real instruments to accompany them. Every song is good enough to be a single his voice is outstanding. A rare talent in todays autotuning culture, there is no autotuning in sight on this album. If that wasnt enough mars produced,wrote and played the instruments on most of the songs on this album giving it a real element of realness. Rather than people singing songs they have no connection to. All in all he is amazing just the way he is buy it!
on 29 January 2011
I don't have many nice things to say about the current pop music industry, however this guy is an exception and with all the rubbish about at the moment, there is little wonder that he and his music is shining so brightly. I did find that "Billionaire" song annoying, but then I believe it wasn't even one of his own songs anyway, just a track that featured his vocals. However it played a signficant part in propelling Bruno into the limelight within the UK and I suppose you sometimes have to 'take one for the team' to get your music out there! - And I'm glad he did. "Just The Way You Are" was probably one of the best songs of 2010 (if not thee best), probably rivalled only by Cee Lo Green's "Forget You" (another rare talent in pop music's otherwise dismal industry - I may be wrong, but I believe Bruno Mars had a hand in writing that song too!). Bruno's follow up track, "Grenade", is in probably just as good, if not better. This guy continues goes from strength to strength and with another album on the horizon, I'm sure he will be one of pop music's big hitters in 2011 and possibly for several years to come. Its great to see that genuine talent can still rise above the increasing amount of rubbish that shows like X Factor churn out year after year, Great effort!
on 18 February 2011
Great CD,lots of different styles of tracks. Enjoyable listening in the car! Appeals to a variety of ages, I would recommend it to a friend!
on 25 October 2014
As debut albums go, this was a very solid start from Bruno Mars, with plenty of well-known tracks that were etched into the public conscience, including the catchy Runaway Baby, the Grammy-winning Just the Way You Are, and the borderline-infamous The Lazy Song. The rest of the album is an enjoyable mixture of reggae-pop that remains distinctive amongst Mars' other work since the release of Doo-Wops and Hooligans. There is an excellent gem in the form of The Other Side, with a superb use of Cee Lo Green and B.o.B providing their vocal skills to such a poignant track.

Doo-Wops and Hooligans is a solid album that should have plenty of listening value not because of its massive hit singles, but as a pleasantly cohesive experience from the charming yet cheesy Grenade, to the acoustic piano version of Talking to The Moon.
on 9 March 2011
Recently bought this album and have to say it's one of the best albums I've bought in years - loved every song and would thoroughly recommend
on 6 February 2016
There is still something special about CDs. It's a little like real books and MP3. Something tangible.

Personally my favourite song is still " JUST THE WAY YOU ARE" - I remember falling in love when the song first came out and the feeling still comes back. Another good song is "THE LAZY SONG". There is a fair share of melancholic songs and a few that are a bit more upbeat.

I bought the CD for my niece as a present - she enjoyed it - I remember when I got it for her - when the album was released she just started to study at university - and she just qualified - I saw the DVD in her car and thought I've never reviewed it. Till now.