PURE Twilight, DAB/FM Radio with Mood and Wake Up Light
Price:£127.12+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 1 February 2011
Having seen this product in a recent magazine I expressed an interest to my wife, not expecting to hear anything further but having returned home from a busy day for a birthday tea there it was.

My first impressions are all very positive, the changing light colours fascinate the children and the mood lighting is ideal for reading and relaxing in the bedroom and its also bright enough to provide plenty of room light I`m not sure when I will use the disco setting but who knows what future themes the kids birthdays will have.

I love being able to change the light levels by placing my hand on it - very sci fi and the alarm functions are all very good - 4 alarms - radio or themed etc. The light does come on quickly with the alarm, I was expecting something a little more subtle and I would agree that this needs a setting button so you aren`t confronted with bright light whilst still dozing.

The DAB radio itself is excellent quality, we have 3 other DAB radios in the house and this is by far the best quality, it also picks up more signals than the others.

The screen is clear and a big improvement on the bright red LED display on my old clock radio.

I would recommend it to anyone but it is expensive.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 7 December 2010
No doubt about it, this is the best radio alarm I have ever had.... and the most expensive!
Is it value for money? I was tempted to give it 4 stars because of the price but I couldn't bring myself to - it deserves five stars!

What I like about it:
Almost everything - here is a round up: Solid quality build, lovely gentle light, which is touch sensitive and can be set to slowly come on before the alarm, different coloured lighting, good quality sound, 4 alarms which can all be separately set, and more... I love it!!

What I don't like - not a lot
One minor point is the inbuilt alarm sounds (which are very good quality and challenge the radio as an option for waking up) have a very short cycle. That blackbird in the dawn chorus repeats it's self too quickly. If there was a longer loop it would be great to wake up to, but the sound quality is excellent.

One less minor point is the plug. I wish I could understand why a two pin plug is provided. I put it in an adaptor and it keeps slipping a bit and loosing main power (there is an inbuilt battery backup). I will have to think of something else. It shoud come either with a three pin plug or supply a proper adaptor.

The bottom line is would I choose it again? The answer is definately yes!
on 28 June 2011
!!!UPDATE!!!
Not wanting to have misled readers below; for the last few months my twilight has had a nervous breakdown!
Light comes on, all of its own accord, any time of day or night!! Try to switch it off at 2am & it phases up & down in magnitude of illumination as if its having palputations
...only remedy is to pull the mains plug out! It then behaves more sane for awhile, before having red, green & blue relapses; until I pull its plug again?????

Have been on Pure website but haven't found a solution in faq or other help. Haven't actually contacted them as I think the early wakings have worn out my will to live with this mad machine!
!!!END OF UPDATE!!!

in most ways delighted with this product so could be a 5 star, but to be fair it is expensive so value for money needs analysis:

Radio reception- good in southwest of house, nothing in ntheast! thats probably not the radio's fault but certainly worth checking the signal in the room where you're going to use it before expending that much on something that cannot work!
in our case the room is the right location so
5 stars *****

Sound quality- good enough for our needs but news programs etc come across with too much bass for talking & haven't found any control for this as you might expect?
we listen to a lot of talk radio, but overall
4 stars ****

Light- all the wakeup & manual on off work just as hoped, the white light is a good strength to read by at full brightness & gives an easy waking light in the morning, just what we wanted. however the coloured lights are just what they are, through a solid diffuser, they look; basic red, blue & green; the variations aren't all that subtle either, so not really of much interest to us, but as i say it works & we have it set to white
4 stars ****

Instructions, start up & controls- very easy, immediately managed, very simple, clear & easy to use ...half asleep!
5 stars *****

Style, shape & size incl footprint- excellent! pleasant but not imposing, takes up very little space, being oval, whilst having plenty of face for the clock & controls
5 star *****

Extra facilities, accessories, options & display- a little bit disappointing, not a problem but the clock size (reasonable) isn't enlargeable, the options menu is quite basic in each mode, various wish list elements just aren't thought of, which for this price is surprising?
3 star ***

Conclusion- you might be happy paying a lot less for something with less? i've been looking for some while & this product provides everything i needed in one, which nothing else did ...but it also cost a lot!!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I've lived with this clock for about a year now, and with the recent dark mornings it's really come into it's own. I use it as a bedside light to read by and an alarm clock to wake me up in the morning.

The main light is really bright at 100% and it's so much better to wake up to than an old school screaming alarm clock. I have my clock set to get lighter for 15 minutes before the actual alarm goes off, so if I want to wake at 7am a very low light comes on at 6.45 gradually increasing until it is at maximum brightness at 7am. At this time the clock also plays one of the built in sound effects to ensure I'm awake. You can have it set to turn on the radio, but I prefer the in built wind chimes for more of a gentle wake up.

Brilliantly you can set your alarm to only be on weekdays, this ensures you don't need to remember to turn the alarm off at the weekends. You can also set up to 4 different alarms with different settings, and have as many active as you require.

The light itself can change colours, not a feature I've used much as I'm happy with the standard soft glow white light, but if you fancy a nice blue, or warm orange this is the alarm for you. I really like the ability to touch the top and reduce the light level, perfect for reading in bed and gradually lowering the light level to help get you to sleep.

Yes it costs a fair bit, but remember you're not just getting an alarm clock that will wake you more naturally, your also getting a Pure DAB radio. The speaker quality is OK for a clock radio, it's not going to beat a dedicated sound system but for the morning wake up routine its perfectly fine.

As per other reviewers, the in built sounds tend to loop a little too quickly and it's very easy to spot the loop, doesn't seem like much effort has been put into making the sound loop smoothly to give the impression of one long track.

Looks great, some may find the main buttons a bit tricky to use, but I've not had the problems other reviewers have mentioned.

Overall a great bit of kit that looks fantastic in the bedroom and will genuinely help most people wake more naturally, especially during these dark, cold, winter mornings.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 13 April 2011
I purchased this product in the middle of winter after having a rough time waking up in the morning in the dark. I was also lacking a DAB radio so this product seemed like a good buy. It comes with lots of features from different light modes, sounds, radios etc. It also looks rather stylish and this may have been a contributing factor to my purchase. I use it daily as a bedside lamp as it's definitely bright enough to illuminate a small to medium sized room for reading or taking the strain off ones eyes when on the computer after dark. It also serves it's purpose well as a DAB alarm clock. One feature I do like is the fact that the lamp is not only touch sensitive (swipe/touch to turn on off, place hand and hold to lower light intensity) but it is also completely cold and emits no heat as far as I can feel.

However personally I do not use all the features packed into this little thing (the mood lights and PURE sounds in particular) as I find them annoying. This is a personal preference and not a design fault of any kind but they really do nothing for me.

Good if you need assistance waking up or going to sleep in the winter or summer respectively and don't mind paying a premium for the build quality.

Bad if you're looking for a cheap lamp/alarm clock combination.
on 23 February 2011
First off I am very impressed by the Pure Twilight and wrestled with whether it should be a rating of four or five stars. It is a great gadget.

I wanted a replacement to a separate Lumie body clock light/alarm clock and a SONY FM alarm clock radio. I originally purchased separately as I was unsure of the sun rise simulation. I have now grown to love it, but still need the alarm clock radio though for an assured wake up :-)

It is nice and compact on the bedside cabinet and is attractively styled. The volume is good enough for the bedroom unless you are looking for real bass. The reception is good once I pinned the wire based aerial up. The set up is easy and intuitive, helped by the large screen and touch sensitive context based buttons below it.

I like the way that for each of the four alarms you can set them for weekdays only, weekends only or for the full week. This means there is no rude awakening at the weekend as there is no need to switch alarms off as with other alarm clocks.

You can then select which source you would like to be woken by. This includes the radio (FM/DAB), tones and a very wide range of pure sounds which vary from sounds of the sea to the dawn chorus. The quality of these is good and it isn't too easy to spot the track repeating. These can also be set in conjunction with the sleep setting in order to help you get off to sleep. You can also set whether the twilight function is used and if it is, how long it takes to turn up to full brightness. You can also set the Alarm volume for the sound source that awakes you

One nice feature is the USB port on the back. This means I now do not need an extra power adapter in order to charge my mobile overnight (an HTC HD7 to give an idea of power).

The light is also touch activated, a simple tap to the dome switches the light on or off or snoozes the alarm. The lights brightness can also be controlled. When at 100% it is okay to read by if the Twilight is on your side of the bed but not any further away.

One comment on the basic light feature is that it is a little sterile when compared to my previous lumie light which was bulb and not LED based. Meaning the Twilight is similar to a fluorescent light. On the plus side though, the many mood colours that can be set is impressive and traverses the rainbow can feel much warmer. This is especially nice when used in conjunction with the Pure sounds, Blue for the sea etc.

Finally, the standard headphone jack at the back allows my ipod to play through it and the volume to be easily controlled on the Twilight.

My only real issue is that whilst the screen is large displaying a full screen clock when in standb. Once the DAB radio is on, the time is relegated to the top quarter of the display, meaning that first thing in the morning it is not ideal. If you have poor eye sight you could well struggle.

In conclusion I love the product and I am still very glad I bought it. The twilight delivers so many great features from its rotund package. A true gadget!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 23 May 2013
I have 3 of these alarm clocks in my family, one of which has been returned twice. I have also lived at some point with all of the three as my daily alarm clock over the last 2 years. I can make a safe judgement weather this considerable amount of money is a wise purchase or not. It is not!

All 3 of them randomly turn the light on full power, causing you to be wide awake at 3:25am or come home to a disco show of lights randomly going off.

If you have a power cut during the night you will not be on time for work the next day as there's no battery source.

The manufacturer boasts a soothing selection of noises....well they installed that to cover up the units high pitch operating squeal or its electronic humming noises.

The touch sensitive buttons are useless, to the point of actually pushing one of the units off the bedside table trying to get it to register that I'd pressed a button.

The light quality is not of a bed site light and gives the un-romantic "factory floor" style feel to even the most elegant of rooms.

The USB charging port has not got enough power to charge my phone.

For how much you pay the sound quality is poor.

I sleep and wake up better with the alarm on my phone.

If customer service ever replies be sure to find that your replacement item will be just as poorly designed and manufactured.

Fantastic idea and I was amazed at first, but a whole 3 weeks of consecutive random 'wakeups' in the early hours of the morning (once getting dressed for work as I have black out blinds and I presumed it was time to get up) I am looking forward to finally smashing mine to a thousand pieces! I have not done it sooner because it was so expensive but I really don't care as it means I will get some sleep again!!! :-D

All in all I am not your standard angry customer, I have really tried to live with this product, for more than I needed too, it was a gift, all three were from my Mother to my family and all have just as disappointing an ending as mine.....get out the baseball bats!!!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Looking around for what my wife required - an all-in-one replacement radio, with the added bonus of daylight awakening - I purchased this product with an air of expectancy and doubts that they could deliver.
Boy, was I wrong!
The lights (both daylight and moods) are totally customisable, either in intensity or (in the case of moods) colours. We chose the blue sea colours (blue to green and back, variance) and it's certainly soothing! The other other pre-sets are good too, and we've even tried setting our own customisable (3 choices) colours also. Not as soothing, but sometimes more pleasing?!
The daylight intensity is also good, either as a nightlight, or as an ever-increasing glow to wake you up in the morning. This morning gloom-dispenser seems to work extremely well, even waking up myself, who has been known to sleep through both fire-alarms and even an earthquake!
What WAS a bonus was the DAB radio - absolutely perfect reception, with the downside being my wife now likes to boast of going to bed with Alice Cooper on Rock FM every night! :o( Just be sure to unravel the aerial as much as possible for best reception!
OK, the daylight intensity isn't a totally smooth transition through all of your pre-selected wake-up time, but it does the job well enough. And the sleep function also works well, once you've learned not to alter the settings once started in motion (they are looking to upgrade the manual to stress this, following protracted but helpful emails with their support people!)

All in all, a none-too-cheap but highly effective alarm clock, radio and light source.
And my missus is well please with Alice Cooper at night! ... to the point where she doesn't want the snooze to end, as she's enjoying the music too much! But that's Rock FM's fault, not PURE's!
on 5 December 2011
I picked this light because I liked the look of it. I thought it didn't look as bulky as the philips wake up light and there were good reviews on it.
However even from the get go there were issues with it. The touch light wouldn't turn off all the time, and it would turn itself on during the night without any help.
There was no gradual wake up, it just became really bright almost instantly.
Also to turn off the alarm, you had to turn the alarm sound to auxillary.
I've regretted buying it, I threw out the box about 1 day before it started constantly turning the light on and off all the time so I couldn't return it and I wouldn't buy a product from this company again.
At the moment it is sitting in my room collecting dust and when I go and buy a new wake up light it will be going in the bin. Back to Philips - it might be bulky and doesn't look as good but it does the job and does it well.
on 4 June 2012
If you scan around the reviews you will find common things pointed out, all of which are true:
- the buttons require so much force that you actually push the device, if it is on a surface like a bed side cabinet
- the 'touch sensitive' buttons are unreliable, and the menus they control are very very slow (even compared to the oldest touch screen phones)
- the menu system is very confusing and little thought has gone into it
- the alarm turns off after an hour, terrible if you like a lazy snooze on the weekend
- the 'touch sensitive' dome is anything but. It often mistakes a touch for a hold and then the light just gets locked into this weird cycle of dimming and brightening. There is no way to stop it other than unplugging and losing all your settings
- don't dare disrupt the snooze function e.g. by changing volume or changing radio station; the snooze is cancelled as a result. Just what you need as you wake, having to fumble around resetting your alarm so you don't oversleep.

All in all this device is awful. If it hadn't been so expensive (and a gift) then I would take it outside and smash it to pieces. A a similar Philips incarnation, mentioned in some reviews here, was just as awful by the way. Actually I find all Philips stuff pretty dire - it's as if the menus have been designed by a mad man, little is intuitive or makes much sense (just like the Pure).

It's a real shame as the theory behind these clocks is excellent. But Pure (and Philips) really need to up their game if they are going to capture the market. Do they not test their products before launching them?!

AVOID