on 9 September 2012
"The most epic battles of the 20th century" ... it reads. How do you cram that into six DVDs? Well, ok. Disc one deals with some of the battles in Word War I, sort of WWI in fast forward, with some big leaps. The WWII-disc is divided into three above average pieces: Battle of the Bulge (Arneheim), Kursk and Omaha Beach (Normandy). And that's it.
The Vietnam War (disc four), is done in the same rush as with WWI. The Suez Crisis and The Bay of Pigs takes up disc three, and The Six Days War (Middle-East) and The Falklands War takes up disc five. Disc five illustrates what I mean by the title of this little review; The Falklands War is a good documentary about a weird little war I've found very little documentary on. Nice find! The Six Days War-documetary however, is a stupid attempt at combining a documentary with a TV-game! "See how many plains you can shoot down!" What?!
Desert Storm (Iraq-Kuwait war, 1991) takes up disc six. As with most of this stuff on these sic DVDs there is very little new footage or insights.
These 6 DVD box sets from the History Channel ... you get plain rubbish, and you get some good stuff. It's just as well it's cheap. I only wish the DVD description from Amazon could be better, a bit more detailed.
Shipping from Amazon was quick. It always is, no complaints there.
11 comment14 of 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 October 2012
This series is not bad as box sets go and it covers quite a few of the conflicts. It covers WW1 and races through WW2. Vietnam is however extensive which would leave the viewer thinking. "It;s a USA documentary. The Falklands is hardly touched albeit 40minutes. From my memories there are lots of footage from that war. Bay of Pigs is covered and the footage from Iraq and Afghanistan is very limited. It is enjoyable but there are better collections available.
on 17 May 2013
Bought this set as an overview of 20th century history for my early teen. Ahead of a trip to Vietnam we watched the Vietnam war disc together hoping it would provide a balanced account. Not at all - hardly any analysis just detail of specific campaigns from a US perspective. Very disappointing.
on 15 March 2013
I havent finished all the discs yet, but what I have is pretty good so far. It is very informative.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 October 2014
a great box set of many wars
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 July 2012
I am glad that I bought these DVDs. DVDs came very quickly and I saw two DVDs that have refreshed my memory about some events in the world.
0Comment1 of 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse