Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 15 November 2010
Disappointing really. Not many good illustrations and only a few recipes. A quick description of each character and then just briefly states what happened in each book. This book could of been very good but sadly wasn't. It was written by someone else and MC Beaton only did an introduction. I would of expected her to of written this herself. The books are so great that this is really an anticlimax.
on 27 November 2010
A small book, paper quality not brilliant, content okay. If you have all the Agatha books then this fits nicely as part of a collection. I had expected something better from M.C.Beaton but it seems that she wrote only an introduction.
on 22 January 2011
This was a delight. I had read the first book in the series 'Agatha Raisin and the Quiche of Death' and have to confess had not taken to Agatha. She struck me as selfish, self centred and at times downright unpleasant. The second book in the series 'Agatha Raisin and the Vicious Vet' did little to improve my original impression of her. But after a long gap I picked up 'Agatha Raisin: There Goes the Bride' and found myself enjoying it. The most recent book, 'Agatha Raisin and the Busy Body' had me warming to her. I suspect that Agatha says what many of us long to say but good manners forbids us to do so, maybe we should be more like Agatha.

Reading the background to the books was interesting and enlightening as to how her character came about. Also the insight into her background made some of her faults endearing in that they are rooted in her past. So for me a really interesting and useful book not only for the background to Agatha Raisin but how M C Beaton became a writer. Whether you like Agatha Raisin or not, 'The Agatha Raisin Companion' is a worth a go.
----
Lizzie Hayes
This useful little book follows what is rapidly becoming the usual format for companions to series. There is an introductory essay by M C Beaton which gives a brief autobiography and explains how she came to start writing the series.

Following that there are brief descriptions of what happens in each book - not to be read if you haven't already read those books as they contain spoilers. There are pen portraits of the main series characters such as James Lacey and Bill Wong and some recipes.

I found the book entertaining reading though others may feel there isn't enough information in it. It very much depends what you consider a companion to a series should contain. Readers need to bear in mind that it doesn't cover all the books in the series as the series is not yet complete.
on 7 December 2012
I am a real fan of MC Beaton and her characters. In particular Agatha Raisin and as the purchase price for the kindle edition was reduced I purchased it. However, I was disappointed with the content. Perhaps it was because I felt I knew the characters/settings so well in the first place (I've read all of the books several times over) that there was nothing extra in the companion to what I already know. That said it passed an hour and for the reduced price I can't grumble. If I had paid full price I would have felt I'd wasted my money.
on 25 January 2013
I love the Agatha Raisin books and have them all. I wasn't really sure what I was buying when I bought this, however I would recommend it to anyone who hasn't read any of the books, as a taster. It explains her background, her life, her retirement, her friends etc. etc. I would say though don't bother with this, start off with 'The Quiche of Death' and work your way through the series you'll really enjoy learning about Agatha that way.
on 5 May 2011
the book is too hit and miss not sure were it starts or ends doesnt do credit to a fine writer should have stated it was a book on how she wrote each book for agatha raisin and state that there is not much detail
on 8 December 2012
There are a couple of chapters at the beginning which could be of some interest to the Agatha Raisin fan but all too soon it deteriorates into summaries of the individual books. What is the good of this? Either you've read them or you haven't and a summary is equally irrelevant for both groups I would have thought.
on 26 January 2013
If you are like me, by half way through a story, your mind is getting hazy on the various characters. This is, therefore, a helpful companion. However, it would be much more helpful if it was possible to have TWO books open on a Kindle, just clicking to move from one to the other.
on 21 September 2013
Just love the M C Beaton Agatha Raisin books. Fantastic read - don't want to put the back down until I've read it from start to finish. No hesitation in recommending ALL her books to family and friends.