Colour: Assorted ColoursPackage Quantity: 1Change

on 1 December 2011
I bought this for my little boy who is 14 months old. I know it's purple, but the colour shouldn't bother anyone. Boys need to learn to share and say ta as well! He goes to nursery anyway, so he plays with goodness knows what there! My son likes taking the items out of the basket and putting them back in, he gives items to me and I have to say 'ta' before he'll let go!

The only thing is the lid could be a bit stronger, it feels a bit thin but there again we haven't had any breakages!

The voice is English too which is nice, I think English children find it easier to understand and respond more to the toy if it is in their own accent. It's got volume control if it's all getting a bit much! Lovely toy all round, I am pleased with it.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Before I go into the product I must say that this is brilliant value for money with 14 different pieces to it including the basket and even more so if you managed to get it at the lower price of just over thirteen pounds that I managed to purchase it for recently. I am very very impressed with the picnic basket and would definitely recommend it.

I have bought this for my niece for Christmas however I couldn't resist 'testing it out to make sure it works' and as I have come to expect from Leapfrog this is yet another brilliant toy. Now not that I am against giving my son a purple picnic basket with pink lid but I do wish that they did this in another more gender neutral colour too such as green and yellow or even a pale blue and I think Leapfrog are missing out on a lot of business and little boys missing out on a lot of fun by Leapfrog not doing this as I know a lot of parents who wouldn't give their son a purple and pink picnic basket toy. I have emailed Leapfrog with this suggestion and hopefully they may consider it in future.

This is such a charming little toy with two modes of play; music and learning and the picnic basket responds to whichever setting you select by using the slide on the front of the picnic basket. For example in the music mode it plays several tunes such as teddy bears picnic when you lift the basket lid and in the learning mode it says phrases such as "picnic time" and "yummy apple pie, can you put the apple pie in the triangle place" along with "open" and "close" and "the biscuit is a circle can you find another circle" plus many many more phrases that are too many to list so it really is extremely interactive and educational. There is also a little butterfly button on the front of the picnic basket which again interacts in the different modes when pushed such as "can you find something orange, the orange is orange" and "I love watermelon, what shape is the watermelon" etc etc in the learning mode. In the music mode it sings songs about shapes, having a picnic and please and thank you songs just to name a few as again there are so many and all are very interactive and educational.

The picnic basket has two sound levels which you can select which is great for when you want the toy to be a bit quieter. The picnic basket also comes with six different shaped food items (two triangle, two square and two circle shaped) which are on two shape sorter plates to help your little one learn about shapes. There are also two forks and two cups along with a picnic blanket so that your little one really can play at having a picnic. The whole set appears very sturdy and has been done in a multitude of different colours so that you can also teach your little one about colours and everything stores neatly in the basket for when it is tidy up time.

A brilliant little toy which I am very impressed with and shall be purchasing one for my son although as stated above I do wish that they did a more gender neutral coloured one too. I am sure my niece will love this picnic basket at Christmas and my son when I get his and I have thoroughly enjoyed 'testing it' myself.
on 2 November 2011
I am very happy with this purchase .I bought this for my 2,5 year old daughter and she is having lots of fun.The most important is that you can control a volume level so it's not annoying you after few minutes .Overall is well made and very good value for money also is nicely packed so if you looking for a present this is it.Highly recommended.
on 15 November 2015
My six year old still likes playing with this after many years and can now play with her younger toddler sister. This toy has been the centrepiece of the assortment of toys and played with nearly everyday! Children love pretend picnic play and it is hard to imagine a better set than this really! The basket is great, loads of amusing sound effects and entertaining songs, as well as interactive games to develop understanding of basic words and phrases.

The shape sorter plates help with development of problem solving and fine motor skills. Putting things in the basket and getting them out again, or picking things up with the serving forks also helps fine motor skill development too. Great for teaching basic shapes and all the colours of the rainbow.

The clearly spoken, happy sounding, child-like voice of the box invites you to press the butterfly button. In music mode it will play different gentle happy songs about having a picnic with your friends or about the colours of the rainbow. It also does short songs about each shape and invites you to find the shape mentioned. In shape mode it instructs you to do things and answer questions about shapes or colours. For example "can you see a food that's a triangle?", or "can you spread the picnic blanket please? What shape is the blanket?" And many many more! When you open the box you may be greeted with a phrase like "ooooh, what's inside?!" or "Open!" or a sound effect and similarly when you close it, or a nice little tune if you have the music mode on.

The pieces are also useful for distracting grumpy toddlers at nappy time or meal time and are easy to clean!

Everything stores away tidily in the box which is great! Just keep an eye out for when your toddler decides it might be a good idea to sit or stand on the box as it will topple over fairly easily. There are two volume levels so you can quieten it down a bit if it is getting annoying too. All pieces in the picnic box are easy to clean or wash and the food does not have holes in it so it cannot fill up with water or saliva like some other pretend toy food!

Great fun, quality toy that is one of our children's favourites! Great value too! Very highly recommended!
on 3 September 2011
Bought for my daughters first birthday and its a really sweet well made item. Songs / words are spoken clearly with mentions of basic colours, shapes & numbers and everything stores neatly inside the basket. Lovely gift, recommended, will be used for sometime as my daughter grows.
on 17 May 2015
My 3 year old son loves this toy and takes it out into the garden regularly. I bought it for his little sister and they play with it together a lot. All their friends seem to make a beeline for when they come round and it seem popular with all of them.
on 15 January 2014
My 18 month old daughter is really enjoying going picnic and learning shapes, but I thought the basket would say the shapes when you put them in there, but it just sings different tunes when you open and close it.
on 1 October 2015
Great gift for my 14 month old and i think I could have got her this set even earlier. Loves role play with the food as well as learning shapes (food is triangular, circular or square and fits easily in little plates). Picnic blanket is the cutest thing, especially when your toddler shakes it out and then places her 'picnic food' on it. She has also enjoyed the basket-Opening/closing it, the music, the chatter and the butterfly button is easy to push for more songs. The forks and cups are lovely as well - little one stabs the food with the fork and 'drinks' from the cups. Oh and theres two of everything so she can share her picnic on playdates. Love this!
on 6 August 2015
Bought this for my nephews first birthday after a lot of deliberation because it is pink. My sister glanced at it as it was being opened as if to say 'you seriously bout my boy a bright pink picnic basket?' but it was without a doubt his favourite present. All the other sat untouched while he spent hours playing with his new pink basket! According to my sister it is still his toy of choice 2 months later and she was so impressed she bought one for a friends child. It also went down a treat with her. I did wonder why they didn't do it in a 'boys' colour too but maybe half the appeal is the colour?!?!
on 10 March 2015
We saw this on sale in our local supermarket and bought it for the wee granddaughter to add to the collection of toys in our house. She has loved this from her first sighting and it's one of her favourite toys. Everything gets pulled out and out back in many times. I guess it's a safety feature, but the wee cups have holes in the base, so can't actually be used to drink from. There are various wee tunes to enjoy, but there is also an off button if it all becomes too much!
Another well made toy of solid construction. I can see it being played with for a long time.