on 10 April 2016
I have naturally curly hair and have worn it curly for many years. I decided to try a straight style recently and borrowed my friend's ghds, which are a few years old, to straighten it. I decided to buy my own set once I decided to keep styling my hair, and was originally going to buy the closest current version of ghds to the pair she has, but then I read a lot of reviews on various sites that said Cloud Nines were the way to go, and that ghds are not as good as they used to be. I looked into the specs of this Cloud Nine set, and was very impressed. I particularly liked the variable temperature setting, as although my curly hair needs a high temperature to straighten, I wanted to see whether I could achieve the same finish with a lower temperature to reduce heat damage to my hair.

I took the plunge and ordered these instead of ghds. They were £30 more expensive than the ghd model I was originally going to buy. I have used them twice now to straighten my hair and I am really impressed. I use the heat setting one lower than the maximum setting, and they do a good job. I think it takes a little longer than it would do if I used the higher setting, but I am conscious of heat damage.

In terms of aesthetics, these straighteners are really nice to use. They fit nicely in my hand and they are light. The on/off switch and the temperature setting panel are easy to use and clear. The buttons feel solid and of good quality, like the straighteners have been built to a high standard (it shows in the little things!).

The "floating" plates means the plates have some give, and move into the iron slightly. I guess this is to reduce pressure on the hair.

In terms of the finish on my hair, I will firstly say that I wash and straighten my hair every five/six days, and in that time my hair stays completely straight, with only a little bend at the bottom. I would say this is due to the natural style of my hair though, and not the irons. I have used straighteners before that made a wave come back in two or three days, and back then my hair wasn't as curly as it is now (back then it was quite wavy, but now it's essentially ringlets!). More praise for the lasting power of the straightness is that, a few days ago, I had a bath and put my hair up into a tight bun. My hair had only a slight kink in in after a few hours or being tied up, as expected, but I slept on it and in the morning it had dropped right out and my hair was completely straight again. I was very impressed!

My hair feels really soft, too - softer than my friend's ghds left it. I didn't really understand what other reviewers said about ghds "pulling" on their hair and Cloud Nines not pulling until I used these. They glide through your hair and the first few strokes had me going over the hair again, not believing that it was now straight as I hadn't felt a thing. Then I understood! Perhaps this is where the floating plates shine.

The straighteners heat up phenomenally fast, and the case they come with is well padded and so can actually be used when travelling! I've just done a ten day trip around the country and haven't had to worry about them getting damaged. The heatproof guard is a wonderful feature for packing them away, as it makes the irons a more convenient shape without me using my old method of keeping the plates together by wrapping the cord around them, which of course damages the cord! The instructions seem to imply that you can turn the straighteners off and then straightaway put the guard on and put away, but I haven't tried this as I'm not sure it would be safe.

In conclusion, I would recommend these straighteners to anyone looking to buy a pair. If you are just trying out the straight style on the odd occasion, maybe these would be too expensive for you, but if you're looking to style like this for a long time, then I already believe, having had mine for a few weeks, that these would be a great investment. I have only used these to straighten my hair, not to curl it, so I can only speak for the straightening side of things.

I am happy that I chose these over ghds, and I think the extra money is worth it to have these instead of ghds. If you're still not convinced that they're better than ghds, search the Amazon reviews for this product for "ghd" (as I did when making my decision), and see how many reviewers have swapped to this brand from ghd because they believe Cloud Nines are superior!

I hope this review has been helpful.
on 28 August 2015
Bought to replace broken ghds. After using ghds for the last 10 years I find these don't pull your hair like ghds do and leave it soft and shiny. I reccomend this product to anyone really happy with my purchase super fast delivery (next day)
on 9 March 2011
What can I say... WOW... I didn't think it possible to top the mighty GHD's but it is...

The Cloud Nine iron is amazing, they glided over my hair like a hot knife through butter with absolutely NO pull or drag at all. They heat up in super quick time and straighten my hair perfectly on half the heat of the GHD's. The heat control is a simple finger touch and the increase or decrease in heat is almost instantanious. The black ceramic plates have this subtle sparkle to them which is apparently the secret weapon to gorgeous shiny and super soft hair. I couldn't stop touching my hair all day and wanted people to feel how soft it was too, not random people thought LOL. I used a protective product whilst using the Cloud Nine but I would feel confident not using one as you do not need the iron to be at its hottest to do a fantstic job. I have been straightening my hair daily for as long as I can remember... Not now though, I straighten my hair in the morning and go about my day, the following morning my hair is almost perfect, I knock the temp right down and literally smooth the random stray bits and I'm off.

Buy the Cloud Nine iron... you will NOT be disapointed :-)
on 17 July 2016
I was searching for ghd when I came across a thread that said these were better. I googled them and read all reviews going before taking the plunge and buying them. wow! love them. I always wear my hair up and run my straighteners through my pony tail because I just dont have time to sit and straighten it properly, but with these ive found it takes 10 minutes tops to do all my hair down. my hair is just past shoulder length but theres loads of it. these things whizz through it. I have only ever had the cheapo straighteners that were 29.99 and now I see the difference between these and cloud nines. ive started to wear my hair down a lot more now and get compliments on it. I love that you can turn the heat up and down because it allows me to use them on my daughters long hair. it takes less than 5mins to do her long hair before school now. no more bed head.
the bag and guard for the ends is just the icing on the cake. I use them, unplug, cap it, bag it and can put straight away so the baby cant get them all round, id give this product a hundred stars if I could.
on 10 February 2012
had ghd before. didnt think it may be better but was recommended by my hairdresser, so gave it a try -love it, love it, love it!!!!
on 18 April 2013
I AM SO PLEASED WITH MY NEW CLOUD NINES. I HAVE HAD GODS IN THE PAST AND THESE ARE SO MUCH BETTER. ITS GREAT THAT YOU CAN ADJUST THE HEAT AND IT SHOWS YOU WHEN IT HAS REACHED THE HEAT. I CAN'T PRAISE THESE ENOUGH.
on 3 September 2015
I got this hair straighter the next day i order it and i can tell you is worth every penny me and my teenage daughter loves it.it makes you hair so smooth and straight, no more Ghd's for us.I would recommend to everybody.
on 22 July 2012
I'd made up my mind to finally splash out on an expensive pair of straighteners and always thought that when the time came I'd go for ghd's. I've not looked at any ghd reviews recently and thought I'd do some up to date research before parting with my money. I noticed quite a differing of opinion and have to say it put me off a bit. I decided to search for something else and Cloud Nine appeared. After reading the reviews both here and on other sites I decided that Cloud Nine was the way to go.

I've had the straighteners for nearly a month now and I wouldn't part with them. They're very light, heat up fast and are so easy to handle. They do a fantastic job on my hair which is just below my shoulders and quite thick with a natural kink. In the past my hairdresser has commented on the extra effort it takes to straighten my hair and that's using ghd's. The Cloud Nine straighteners just glide effortlessly through my hair and I'm done so quickly. I'd noticed my hair getting very dry and a bit frizzy at the sides but since I've been using these straighteners my hair feels so soft....and it stays soft (I'd recommend them for that alone). My daughter borrowed them the other day and I purposely hadn't said anything about my hair feeling softer but when she'd finished, the first thing she commented on was how soft her hair felt and how impressed she was. The natural kink in my hair always meant that if it was just slightly damp outside then my hair would start to do its own thing which was very annoying but since using Cloud Nine it stays exactly how its supposed to throughout the day which is brilliant. It even looks ok when I wake up in the morning which was unheard of before. Another thing I've noticed is that it used to take a day for my hair to settle down after washing as it was a bit bushy even after straightening, but with Cloud Nine I'll straighten it and boom it's lovely and soft and shiney from the off.

I have no regrets about buying Cloud Nine and thoroughly recommend them.
on 20 August 2015
Love these. Never thought i could get my hair sleek and shiny like the hairdresser but these are amazing. Well worth the money and straighten my hair in half the time than my previous straighteners. So much thanks to my hairdresser for the recommendation.
on 6 July 2016
I bought these straighteners after my hairdresser advised me the ceramic plate over time can wear off. I had GHD's (for 8 years) before these which are automatically set to a high temperature. The Cloud Nine's enable you to use a lower setting. I use 170 - 180 degrees and this straightens my hair perfectly. GHD's automatically go to 200 (for my model anyway). These are a much safer straightener to prevent frazzled split hair.