Most helpful critical review
20 of 20 people found the following review helpful
Fire hazard, do not buy
on 15 August 2014
This is the 3rd Microwave we have had from Whirlpool, not because it's a great product, but because the first two blew up, and after a lot of correspondence with customer services, they agreed to replace. After the second microwave blew up, I didn't want another Whirlpool product, but I was convinced by Whirlpool that the issue has been resolved and as I was in need of a corner unit, this one seemed ideal, and it was after all "free".
We've had this microwave for just over 6 months now, and though it's very small it served it's purpose and we'd not had any issue with it, until last week. it started with small "sparkles" around the microwave sender plate, same effect as if you put something metallic in a microwave (not advised!!). I was using it again last night to heat my baby daughters milk, I went into the lounge then heard a loud buzzing so went back into the kitchen to find flames coming out of the same cover on the inside of the microwave. I went to switch the oven off, but when I pressed "STOP" the oven went off for about a second, and to my horror it switched itself back on again and the flames started again. I had to remove the plug from the socket this time. Whirlpool microwaves are a serious fire risk and should be removed from sale until this issue is resolved. If there was issue with one unit, I would have put it down to bad luck, but after 3 different models with the same hazardous fault I wouldn't ever have another in my house. I am about to upload the video of the fault to youtube, This product is an extreme fire hazard, I was fortunate to hear the buzzing noise and went to investigate immediately, Had I not, I dread to think about the consequences.