Format: DVD|Change

On this day of Joan River's death, take an hour to watch her documentary. It is a record of one year in her life . She shows us warts and all.

Much of what people say about Joan is the calibre of her jokes. She often said what we wanted to but didn't dare. I liked her. Her staff loved her. In this documentary we see her staff. Her manager is no longer with her. Truthfully he looked a little sleazy. However, what mattered the most to Joan was her daughter, Melissa and her grandson, Cooper. They will miss her immeasurably. She was beloved by many of her peers, and her work stands for itself. This documentary will be an eye opener for many who did not know her. She is a woman not to be taken lightly.

This year in her life is a wonderful sight. What struck me was her work schedule. She hated an empty page, to her it meant no one loved her. She came from a loving home, but as we all know her husband committed suicide, and this was an issue for her and her daughter, Melissa. However, her success meant a lot to many. She put many of her staff's children through private school. Who does that?

A friend said that he can see Joan a Rivers and Robin Williams wherever they are, laughing uproariously over each other's dirty jokes. A wonderful memory.

Recommended. prisrob 09-04-14
on 16 December 2010
Joan Rivers is a living comedy legend! I'm 16 and I think she's 10x funnier than half of the 'modern day' comediennes, and whilst we see her bravado on tv, her humour and jokes made of herself as well as her brutal opinions and public roastings from others we never see whats behind the curtain..this is without a doubt one of the best documentaries I have ever seen! Joan has seen some real trauma in life and still struggles to go on in life with her career, the camera is almost non stop rolling sometimes you forget you're watching it on dvd and feel more like you're watching it first person. It offers in sight into how Joan feels about things, how she deals with them and how she goes on in life despite everything thats happened. This dvd allows you to see a true celebrity in her true form, and we see just how talented she is, in every aspect. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
Most of the reviews are for the 'DVD'. But if you want to buy this on BLU RAY and you live in the UK or Europe - there's a problem...

This American Only IFC Films BLU RAY is REGION A LOCKED - so it won't play on our machines unless they're chipped to be 'all regions' (which few are).

Another title denied us by the crap of Region Coding. Joan would be rightly outraged...
on 11 June 2012
This film is simple in concept. The makers followed Joan Rivers for a year, filming her every move as they went and these edited highlights give us a window into her life. It's far from being the most interesting doumentary I have ever seen but it left me with two strong memories. Firstly how driven Ms Rivers is and secondly finding out that this woman who works ceaselessly, who craves popularity and success, who to my eyes looks pretty good if a little like a "real doll" is 75 years old. If I have half her energy when I am that old I will be a happy man! It's absolutely astonishing to see a woman of that age depressed unless her diary is anything less than packed out (we are talking multiple appointments every day) at a time of her life when she should be taking it easy. Part of me admires her spirit, the other half of me feels that she should get some perspective. But ultimately if she gives people pleasure and enjoys what she is doing, who am I to comment.

Worth a watch.
on 20 March 2011
Joan Rivers was once just an innocent Jewish girl, growing up in Brooklyn, NY.
Now she is the face of female comedy, and an undoubtable legend. Love her or hate her, Joan Rivers really is "A Piece of Work", in this documentary of her struggling to be taken seriously as an actress, whilst dealing with age, self-doubt and the pressures of staying on top in show business.

The film is compelling right from the start, as Rivers applies her morning make-up ritual, then showing a short reel of her career. We are let into Rivers' life, with very little confidentiality.
From her dazzling "how Marie Antoinette would've lived, if she'd had money" Manhattan apartment, to her time on Donald Trump's the Celebrity Apprentice. The film shows captivating shots of "the city that never sleeps" and Rivers going through tragedy, rejection, and talking to us of her past and career at the same time.

She [Rivers] lets us into her daily schedule, the team which gets her on stage, the process of "Joan Rivers: A Life in Progress by A Work in Progress" and it's harsh reception to the London critics, and a lifestyle many desire to live. But it's not all been plain sailing for Joan, as she reveals her opinions on her husband's suicide, keeping on top at her age and dealing with competition and biting criticism.
Rivers is a strong woman, a performer and a businesswoman, and an extremely talented woman, yet manages to keep a level head at the end of the day.
Any Rivers fan must own this and to those who hate her, once you watch this, you'll stop hating for sure!
on 3 November 2014
Having purchased tickets to see Joan at The Royal Albert Hall I was deeply saddened and disappointed that I would never see this amazing performer live. Though no DVDs will ever take the place of a live performance I am pleased I own this disc.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 25 January 2015
I always enjoyed Joan Rivers' comedy, particularly when she was at her peak in the 1980s, but in more recent years, I rarely laughed, only when I saw her as herself on TV chat shows. I think her humour had become too celebrity based, offensive, and just plain mean spirited. However, I always respected her longevity, considered her a pioneer in comedy, and admired her strength of character.

I had heard a lot about this acclaimed documentary, and since Joan's passing, I was more eager than ever to see it, and I'm glad that I did. It really is a fascinating insight into her world, where the cameras followed her around for a year in her life. We see the real Joan, and a rather tragic figure emerges, a woman who is very insecure and unhappy in herself. She talks openly and movingly about her feud with chat show host Johnny Carson, the suicide of her husband, as well as the constant fear that one day she will no longer be working.

The film includes some recent clips of her hilarious stand-up comedy, where she talks humorously about her herself, and proves that she hasn't lost anything, as well as vintage performances from her early days. There are interviews with key players in her life, including her daughter Melissa, her manager, and people like Kathy Griffin who regard Joan as a mentor.

Her kindness comes shining through, and that's what makes 'Joan Rivers - A Piece of Work' such a joy to see. Both sad and comical at the same time, this film is a real 'must-watch' to find out about the person behind the humour. RIP Joan Rivers!
on 7 November 2012
A delightful and honest peek into the current life of one of the planet's funniest people.

An absolute must for all Joan Rivers fans.

I recently met her in real life and can honestly say she is what she is. Funny, clever, gracious and incredibly hard working. She treats her fans like gold, which is good. Because we think she is a diamond !

The DVD also has lots of extra scenes which is a real bonus.

Super.
on 31 December 2010
Love or hate Joan Rivers, this is a totally must-see film. It shows her vulnerability, her difficult life but, above that, her surprisingly true work ethic and truly great spirit.
on 11 January 2014
I love Joan Rivers' comedy. Super humour. This documentary, however, showed a completely different side to Joan. It is so raw and honest that you get to see a little bit more of Joan herself. Definitely a must watch for anyone who enjoys great comedy.