on 14 February 2012
Where do I begin.

I have had 4 sets of Sennheiser In-Ears over the past 3 years, none of the pairs were replaced due to breaking but because I started wanting more from my audio experience and so I went up the price range and started to notice subtle differences as I did so. I went for the HD 518's after needing a set of Over-Ears for late nights coding/photo editing and for use with my Guitar Amp. I have also purchased the FiiO E5 Headphone Amplifier - Black for use with these headphones. I have now owned them for 2 weeks and have had them playing a burn-in cd for 40+ Hours when I haven't been using them.

Comfort
At first when I put these headphones on I thought that the padding around the ears was a little too stiff, I persevered with the notion that they would soften up with use and low and behold they have done just that. I am now able to wear these for 6-7 hours and long into early hours of the morning without the slightest bit of discomfort.

Sound-Bleeding
These headphones are open back and yes they do bleed sound but then that is the negative point of Open-Back Headphones. You can hear these headphones from roughly 20 feet away at full volume on an iPod if there is no background noise present. I also have the ability to be able to hear people if they are talking to me while wearing the headphones and listening to music, this is either a positive or negative point, it just depends how you see it.

Sound Quality
I will have to agree with most people when listening to your first set of true over-ear Headphones, I have heard instruments in songs I have never noticed before, it's just subtle backround music but now I know it's there I listen out for it when I can. As previously stated I have let these headphones burn-in via a cd that runs through the whole frequency range plus songs from different genres with a break every 1 hour. I have listened to these from new, after 10 hours, after 20 hours and finally after 40 hours of burn-in. I can tell you that the sound just keeps getting better. The Lows seem deeper and alot smoother. The sound stage on these headphones is out standing due to their open-back design. They have very crisp Highs, clear Mids and very deep controlled Bass.

Verdict:
These are by far the best headphones I have owned to date, they are very comfortable and the sound is very well balanced, they are worth every penny.
VINE VOICEon 22 November 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As befitting the brand (and the price), the sound quality you get from these headphones is near perfect. But it's not an all-rounder. The box promotes the bass sound you get from these headphones, and you certainly get it. A bit too much at times, in fact. It depends on what you're listening to. Whilst it never sounds like a large truck going past, as can happen with cheapo headphones, the bass can somewhat overwhelm the other levels in particularly bass-heavy music. It's better for bringing out the bass in music that's already balanced. If you can try before you buy, do.

Apart from that, I don't have any major complaints. They are comfortable to wear, don't make your ears get hot after a long time listening, and twist in all sorts of directions for those of us with oddly shaped heads. It's a minor thing, I know, but I've had headphones where the jack just flies out of the socket at the slightest turn of the head, so I was pleased the one attached to the lead here had some resistance.

My wife also wants me to point out that these aren't very suitable for using on a train unless you want an ASBO. It's not their bulky size that's the issue (because they're lightweight with it), but the fact that whilst they're very good at keeping other sounds out, they're not quite so good at keeping the sound of what you're listening to in, even at reasonably low volumes. So mainly for home use, then.

On a sidenote, I plugged these into my Marshall practice amp to see how they fared, and they are by far the best headphones I've ever tried. They pick up levels just lost in the background when using the amp's own speaker. So guitarists who play hard rock or metal should add an extra star to my rating above.

Includes: 3m cable, 3.5mm adapter for the jack
22 comments34 of 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 January 2014
I chose these headphones for 2 main reasons; sound quality and comfort. I am very pleased to say I am not disappointed!

The overall sound quality are amazing with rich bass and crystal clear highs. They took around 50 hours of breaking in before they really shined. By this time I was blown away by the quality. Even at extremely loud settings they are completely clear. Very impressed indeed!

The headphones rest around your ears, not on them. This is brilliant as they do not cause a ache on your ears. However, the headphones were a bit of a strain on my head at first due to them being too tight (I do have a big head mind). The padding was also tougher than I expected and would cause discomfort after an hour or so of use. Because of this I decided to stretch the headphones around the box they came in over a few nights. Once I had done that they were completely comfortable. Also, once I had worn them for around 15 hours in total the felt became much softer and much more comfortable. Now, after having them for a few months and wearing them for hours daily I almost forget i'm wearing them! 5/5 for comfort.

The headphones themselves are open ear. This means that people around you can hear what you're hearing if they're loud enough and you can hear them. This means that they are not designed for public use. They are much more suited for home use. Also, outside sound can easily be drowned out by increasing the volume slightly. Very useful indeed.

Overall, I couldn't have asked for a better pair of headphones! They are perfect in my opinion.
on 20 September 2015
My onboard soundcard wasnt really able to get the most out of this amazing product. I would like to thank the nameless forum poster who recommended DFX Audio Enhancer to go with it. I say this on the back of knowing that the output impedance of the soundcard should be around 5-10 times smaller than that of the headphones themselves. I have yet to buy it (but I will) but the DGX apparently goes very well with these cans and has a built in amp. . it's also cheap as chips so :P

Now I have mentioned a number of products but in my defence, the 50 omh headphones really only truly shine (and oh sweet baby jesus do they) when you punch them up with software or hardware.

I guess i'll mention some other things about them that i really dont consider too important myself, because Im all abourt the sound quality. They fit just wonderfully. Most comfortable set maybe ever (but im not an audiophile). . . I will say tho that these headphones want to make me want to me an audiophile.

I've redownloaded some of my favourite albums into FLAC format and before i didnt see the difference. . . well ;)

The things you hear about this product will be a bit here and there as people have bvarious setups. I've heard from some that they have a decent base but not enough.. . honestly I find that when i dont have the choice of an EQ, they can have too much. Then other times, they just have so much mid. Everyone describes this pair as a "dark" set but I have had many times where ive had to drop the treble a bit. For me they give a very well rounded sound that is of course very slanted towards the base end but really only just.

I have to wonder if some of the posts aginst this headset were maybe disingenuous, as I am no longer worried that i wasted 115 euro but instead feel that I have stepped up a big notch.

anyway, I hope that helps guys. That said, I have not tried any of the other audiophile level headphones. . Im only saying that my first tow in the pond has been very nice one.
on 12 January 2015
To put it simply, if you have the money, go for these. They are by far the best set of headphones I have ever used, I upgraded from another set of headphones that were £30 more than these and the Sennheiser ones are vastly superior in almost every way:

Compatibility: It comes ready to be used with either a 6.3mm or 3.5mm jack with no difference in quality.
Comfort: Most of the time I forget I'm wearing them and I wear headphones for roughly 7+ hours a day.
Fit: The fit is tight enough that you can jam out to your favorite music and it's extremely light to boot.
Sound Quality: The EAR tech really works, it sounds like I'm listening to high quality loudspeakers and I am noticing some instruments now that I never heard before. The highs, mids and lows are the best I have heard to date (I'm not an audiophile so I can't compare to some of the highest quality headphones) but in this price range I've never heard something as good.

TLDR: Awesome in every way I can think of, buy them!
on 11 January 2013
I really wanted to like these very well built and I got a really good price but I returned them as I felt after quite a lot of testing against my other headphones that they had a dull and muffled sound. I want to replace a pair of old cheap vivanco headphones but could not believe that they actually sounded so much clearer and nicer than these sennheissers. Perhaps they needed to 'burn in' for a while but they were so far away from being good sounding that I couldn't wait for that.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 12 November 2014
Price-wise these are the cheapest of Sennheisers high-end open headphones, but that doesn't stop them from being an impressive piece of technology. They are very comfy to wear, have a tight fit, are well adjustable, look great with the silver grills, and sound fantastic. The cable is removable and I was surprised by how large these phones actually are compared to photos.

Sound quality is of course the main highlight of all headphones, and certainly so for the HD 518's. The sound is vibrant with detail, letting you very clearly listen to just about anything as if you were right there in the studio or audience. My biggest fear with these was that their preference for mid's and high's over bass would make them unfit for bass-heavy music, yet they still sound fantastic! If all you care about is dirty sub-bass, maybe I would look at other headphones, but the overall richness of these phones is definitely worth the price.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 20 November 2010
Sennheiser make quality gear. I work In the broadcasting industry where their microphones are standard equipment for location sound recording, and their consumer products include a great range of quality headphones - I particular like the lightweight PX100 headphones, perfect for iPods. So I had great expectations for the HD 518.

In their favour - solidly made, comfortable to wear, they feel like a quality product. The box declares their "deep rich bass sound" and, indeed, bass is what these headphones give you. I would describe the sound as warm, rich and smooth but on many tracks that "deep rich bass" takes over and smothers everything else. What is lacking is openness and separation - in particular drums and percussion seem almost muffled and there's an overall dullness which holds the music back from being really involving and exciting. I'm listening as I write to Jeff Buckley's 'Grace' which on my B & W speakers just explodes with emotion but now, on the HD 518's, it all seems a little dull.

Obviously this is a totally subjective judgement, and many might like the sound these headphones deliver. In a way they remind me of listening to my parents' huge old radiogram - solid, reassuring and a bit dull.
33 comments43 of 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 October 2012
Would you like a 100K stereo system but, like me, can't afford it without actually leaving yourself without a house to put it in? Well, spend less than 100 pounds on these headphones instead. Incredible is the only word I can use. The whole experience is not the usual tiring, pressured, "in your head" affair which I always found to be the problem with closed-type phones, no matter how much musical detail they provide. These are actually "ear speakers"; you get a real sense of concert-hall spaciousness and depth. The sound itself is the exact opposite of harsh or overblown - mellow and musical. If you think you have heard, say, a Beethoven piano concerto so many times that you know it backwards, just wait until you hear it through these amazing cans. Just buy them NOW!!
on 26 June 2014
Perfect for PC I'm using these with my onboard HD audio which is excellent ( most new and recent motherboards have very good onboard ) but what concerned me, was, would i need a headphone amp to get the best out of these hd 518 headphones.
The answer is no
I use windows media player for playback of music and the volume control was at around 70% with my old Sennheiser 201 phones but with the 518 phones it's only at between 25% - 30% for the same level of sound a comfortable medium loud - So you can see the 518's pump out a higher volume and you have loads more room for increased volume. So pointless getting an amp as these work fantastic without one.
I thought the 201's were good but these 518's are so ,so, much better