on 22 April 2013
I’m quite impressed with this bit of kit. Like many I have hundreds if not thousands of both mono and colour negatives and even with a loupe and a light box it’s very hard to sort the wheat from the chaff and to have them put on to disc by a photographic shop you will probably if like me finish paying for a lot of frames that are not worth scanning The cheapest I have found is 50p per scan at a measly 200dpi meaning 100 cost scans £50. So with this in mind I started looking for scanners and came across this one. I was a little apprehensive due being the cheapest and had only 7 reviews but as I only wanted it just for proofing I decided to take the chance and was really surprised at the very good scanning quality. Not as good as a top end scanning service but I think it will please most and after examining the image one could elect to use a professional service.
It’s very easy to use, just load the disc, follow the on screen instructions and you’re on your way. There are 2 different file formats – JPEG or TIFF. 4 different quality levels and 2 different DPI settings 1800 or 3600. There’s also a small suite of editing software that will properly satisfy most except Photoshop fans.
The only criticism is the film holder is rather hard to open due to the amount of force required also as not all cameras framing positions are the same means some frames do not align with the aperture in the holder, as the film is located by lugs engaging the film sprocket holes, though these two points I can live with, slide holder no problem. Due to this I would like to give four and three quarter stars but I can’t so I give it 5
55 comments| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 July 2011
Because the item was unbranded I had to think twice about ordering it. However, it was a good price so I did. The scanner is obviously made cheaply but it did a good job of scanning some very old 35mm b/w negatives. It arrived promptly and came with everything needed to get going.
All in all well worth the money and I have no regrets at all about buying it.
on 5 May 2013
Had loads of photographs when reproducing on a scanner it was tedious. With this negative scanner it is instant and to reproduce 36 negatives it takes 5 minutes. A little clumsy at first trying to line up the picture and placing it the right way round and not back to front but once you have mastered it it is very quick. Buy one before you lose all those negatives and your prints get damaged or destroyed
on 5 September 2011
Did a fair job of copying about 800 old family slides over 3 evenings and gave good picture quality (for family snaps etc.) Cheaper than paying someone to do it for you. I will be selling mine now that I have done all my slides. Overall impression - not bad!
on 11 May 2013
Do not hesitate to purchase this product if you have several images to recover/reprint from negatives. Mine has already paid for itself in money saved on having reprints done by 'professionals'. So far, I've only used 35mm negatives, but am looking forward to attempting to retrieve a few images from APS negatives - hence the lack of a review for that capability of this product. Once you get the hang of opening the holder, you put the film in one end and 'magic' comes out on the screen, 'developing' the finished product in real time and allowing you to position the negative to capture the desired photo. Thank you for this marvel of modern technology.
on 27 November 2013
I bought this item in order to scan and transfer lots of 35mm transparencies I had stored in the loft, on to my laptop. The slides were nearly 40 years old, but in reasonable condition. I have scanned most of them and I am delighted with the results I got from using this scanner. The device is easy to set up and to scan and transfer pictures couldn't be simpler. Would definitely recommend to anyone looking for an easy, economical way of copying transparencies.
on 29 May 2013
Better quality "scans" [really a digital photograph, I assume] than the poor quality of my earlier Ion device [now redundant as it does not work with W7].
Not as good an end-product as my Primefilm 3600 "proper" scanner - but a lot faster. The Primefilm does only single slides and will need overall a few minutes per slide. The Gmyle device works in slide sets of 3 [or negative strips up to 6] and can process 6 or more in those few minutes.
The Gmyle works with 35mm slides, b&w negs, and colour negs.
I'm pleased I bought it.
on 17 April 2012
Received as ordered had a "little" software problem, suppliers helped enormously to accomodate, alls well at the end.
Really pleased with purchase. Old and very old slides copied to digital. Because of problem a bit of extra time needed but all OK with results.
on 12 October 2013
I recently was given some old 1960s family slides,in essence old camera negatives put into square cards called slides,so i went about finding a scanner or projector on line and came across the product offered by Clever Gadgets,a little apprehensively i ordered,even though there was a couple of negative reviews,i need not have worried the Negative and Slide Scanner is absolutely superb reproducing fantastic copies to the computer,from where they can be printed.
The hardware disc is very easy to understand and takes only 5 minutes,once the scanner is then connected to the USB port it takes seconds to view and save image.
The money spent on this item is well worth it,particularly as you can not put a price on old family photos.
Excellent Purchase,Excellent Value,Excellent Seller
on 29 January 2013
This arrived promptly and well-packed by the supplier. Experienced slight difficulty in opening the hinged film carriers but with the help of a finger nail soon acquired the knack.

No problem installing the software and capturing individual images is the work of a few seconds. So far have been mainly processing old B&W images with excellent results. Colour may possibly need a little post-capture processing but I have yet to experiment with this.

Competitively priced compared with some alternatives. Recommended