on 23 April 2010
Bought this a couple of days ago. Due to the volcano cloud, I had to drive from CH to Calais on the north of France and back. My old GPS didn't have Euromaps and was 5 years old so I needed an upgrade

+ Very easy to use
+ Points of interest + favourites work well
+ pedestrian mode works well, finding fuel, shops, money, restaurants in an unusual town is now very easy
+ built quality top
+ voice clear
+ route calcuations very quick, 850km takes 5 secs to calculate
+ Add in a "via" point if you want to detour. When you select a new desitination while driving a current route, it asks if this is a via point or a new destination. (some reviews says it doesn't have this feature???)
+ speed limits displayed, 99% accurate and very handy
+ fixed speed cameras, good to know where they are
+ Distance to go, time to go etc, very accurate
+ Very secure windscreen mount and clasp.
+ At autobahn junctions, display switches to show what lane to be in, picture is very clear and suprisingly accurate. It shows the road signs exactly as they are making it easy to navigate through major junctions/intersections (eg basel border for CH Fr, Ge)

- Kept repeating a speed camera area, software bug, not sure, had to reset (hold power button 10 secs) put in new route then put original route back in then ok
- Calculation jammed at 79% when stopping in services, had to do system reset
- When power cable is plugged in to back, every time you start your car, the GPS powers on, would be better if you powered it on manually.

A great unit, only a couple of small bugs in 16 hrs of driving. Through 3 countries. I don't think any of these are bug free and the problems I had were solved within a few seconds. I took it out the box, stuck it on my windscreen and drove 1000 miles. No need to read instructions as long as you have a little bit of common sense. I would recommend this unit 100%.
on 11 November 2010
I bought this for a marketing trip in which we were to visit 120 shops throughout the UK in a 2 week period (Poole to Inverness, Canterbury to Menai Bridge). So a pretty extensive undertaking, we were to be on our own in the car for the majority of the time and although I am a confident driver I had never driven in the UK previously. If it wasn't for this sat nav it wouldn't have worked!

We had opportunity to compare it as we hired the second unit from the car hire company. The unit we hired was an older Garmin. It was not wide screen and didn't have traffic knowledge or bluetooth. I have to say this machine was vastly superior in its navigation. We each had highly frustrating situations with the hired one in which we simply couldn't find our way- telling us to turn where there were no roads/one way roads. Taking us repeatedly on and off packed motorways, ambiguous directions etc. This NEVER happened with this machine. Well, there was the odd ambiguous direction, but I think this was more of a reflection of the crazy lane changing required to get to the correct motorway, and lack of concentration- than the fault of our machine.

It has a brilliant thing in the top left corner that tells you how far to the next change and a small easily understood diagram of what that change is going to be. The speed limit is really handy- British roads are NOT well signposted. They have the Limitied Speed Zone sign everywhere telling you its open road, BUT the open road speed limit changed depending on if you are on a motorway, country road or and highway... So although it is very occasionally wrong- it is very handy. It even knew that there was a temporary change in speed at most of the road works! I think that was actually why it was wrong a couple times- might have been a previous decrease in speed limit that no longer applies.

I did get the plug charger as an extra and this turned out to be handy. I charged it when we first got it. Didn't do any upgrades online. Then used it for 5-10 hours each day. By the middle of the second week it died on me! Turns out that although I plugged it in each time I used it the charge gradually decreased. So this was solved by a night of charging- all good to go!!

SO I would say get this one. I deliberated over the cheaper ones but am very happy that I chose this one. The wide screen is great! The bluetooth is ok- works fine although not as good as some. It has loads of helpful stuff like where the nearest petrol stations are and will divert your route. The ladys voice is quite smooth- unlike others that I have heard. It is clear and accurate and understands traffic so will divert you.

Have fun!
on 4 July 2010
I bought this Garmin product a couple of months ago, having had TOMTOMs (and 1 Garmin)in the past. I deliberately waited a while before reviewing it to put it through its paces. I have mainly been a Tomtom user but my latest Tomtom (Europe XL) was nicked from the car! so I needed a new unit. I was a quite disappointed in the tomtom, particulalry since the batteries would flatten if it wasn't used for a few days then would take a few moments to spring into life - very poor really and not unheard of apparrently. So... this time I bought a GARMIN. This model is much much much more improved than my earlier Garmin. It is easy to use (the wife got the hang of it in no time), fires up quickly, retains its charge, speaks street names and road numbers (wow - how good is that - it's brilliant). Never thought I'd use Bluetooth for my phone, but hey... its so easy I don't know how I managed without it. I could rave on and on about this unit, but you probably get the picture by now (I give it 10/10). The ultimate endorsement is that both of my lads, who both have Tomtoms, are thinking about ditching their Tomtoms and buying a Garmin - can't be bad can it !
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 10 January 2011
I've been using the 1390T for about one month in and around London. I bought it for the competitive price, lifetime traffic and camera database. The package certainly seems to include a lot for the price. And so to my findings.

The Good Stuff
1. Map quality seems good. Few mistakes around London
2. Lane assist. This really works! For me, in London, its saved my bacon quite a few times. Possibly one of the most useful features.
3. Screen size is excellent with clear, easy to read maps and menus.
4. Camera database seems spot on - for box fixed and mobile cameras. Get red alerts if you are over the speed limit on approach.
5. So far seem realiable. Has not frozen, crashed, locked or got confused.
6. PC connectivity is straightforward plus you get one free map update too.

The Bad Stuff
1. It gives road names not numbers or instructions. I really need instructions such as 'take second right' or 'turn onto A406 North Circular'. Instead I get 'turn right in to Acacia Avenue' - this only works if you know all the street names in the UK. So major, major problem. Worse, major road signs show road numbers not names - so you still need to look at everything - kind of defeats the purpose of satnav.
2. Traffic alerts can be unreliable in London. In London traffic alerts can pop up, then disappear. Sometimes get no warning at all before hitting traffic. Grrr.
3. Route choice is interesting. Fastest route can be slower that Shortest. Eco route can be least direct and most winding. Maybe thats just London and could be better in other parts of UK.
4. Cables are rather intrusive. Traffic antenna plugs into main cable about 30cm away from satnav unit.

Summary.
The satnav is rather good. Well made, reliable and shows maps and locations. BUT. For me the street name issue is a killer. Maybe it'll grow on me but I suspect not.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 20 October 2009
I have had the product for 4 weeks and found it to be an amazingly good unit. Navigation is easier than with TomTom and the Traffic warnings are brilliant with excellent diversionary information and re-routing that have kept me moving all of the time.

The unit refused to start 5 days ago and will only recycle off-startup-copywrite screen-loading maps-back to off! It has currently been returned to the supplier for repair/replacement, as soon as possible, I hope as I am literally 'lost' without the traffic information.

I bought a Garmin because they are supposedly 'more reliable' than TomTom! If it had been, I would have awarded all 5 stars and a very strong recommendation to any reader. As it is all I can say is Garmin are letting themselves down, at the moment, in my book! A real shame. (October)

The first unit was replaced and now the new unit cannot acquire or hold sufficient satellites to function as a GPS unit. Garmin Technical support helpful but nothing has so far reinstated satellite navigation (including a software up-date etc)! Where next? Just 2 months with 2 units and results NO NAVIGATION! (November)

Now 1 December!

Just received 3rd 1390 Unit and seems to be working fine; so fingers crossed.

Garmin replaced with new but claimed that the returned unit was "working fine when tested "; but they offered new replacement "for goodwill and without liability." I guess you take it as it comes, if it does the job.

I still expect great things, as it is excellent; when working.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 9 July 2010
I bought this primarily to use on my motorcycle, as I refuse to spend 4 times as much for the motorcycle 'version'.

From what I can tell, all you get is some form of waterproofing for £[] more on the motorcycle version, which is ridiculous.

This Garmin works perfectly, picks up satellite signals instantly and has a bright, easy to use screen and controls.

Much to my surprise, the touch screen works with motorcycle gloves on. Many reviews I read stated it wouldn't, so it was a pleasant surprise.

The only downfall is the screen is not as bright as my old Tomtom, but then again it is hundreds of pounds cheaper so I can't really complain.

Highly recommended!
on 9 May 2010
My Garmin worked first time straight from the box.
Don't waste time getting your map up to date - plug the gadget in and start using it.
Menus are intuitive.
Do a bit of searching on Points of Information (POI) databases on the web - I now have a complete database of all UK supermarkets, petrol stations and much more.
Yes, the cabling is a bit chunky but this should mean it lasts longer!
I would not hesitate to recommend.
ps. I now drive with the volume off most of the time, not because I don't like the voice, but because the junction and lane guidance is so good.
on 27 April 2010
This is my first Sat Nav so some of my observations could apply to all types. Was concerned with some negative reviews of this product. Phoned Garmin Technical and they said it was vital to update software before using. I did this and have had none of the reported problems with unit turning off etc. Calculates / recalculates route very quickly and works well. One feature it has, is to tell you the name of the road to turn into, however I found this could lead to you frantically looking for a road name which could be distracting. Tried it on a couple of journeys I was familiar with and on one occasion it led me down narrow country roads which is not the way I would normally go. Maps update was about 3.5 gig which nearly took me over my monthly limit so beware if you are on a limited service. Speed limits (with updated maps) were generally accurate but did not reflect all of the reduced limits introduced in the last 12 months or so. Found that entering post code did not always correctly identify road but by entering the name of the town you could then choose the road. Overall I would recommend this unit.
on 21 November 2009
I am using the Garmin for 1 month now and leaving few issues I am satisfied with the product.
Pros:
1) Wide and clear screen and sleek.
2) It gives the name of the Road
3) Traffic updates are very correct and they are FREE!!!!
4) Lane Guidance is helpful , especially if new to the area
5) Easy to understand

Cons:
1) Twice it happened that the unit kept restarting on it own , so we had to manually shut it down and restart. I guess its happening when the power cable is a bit loose .
on 11 January 2010
I bought the 1390T to replace a 3 year+ old Garmin Nuvi 310 (which has been excellent). I was really after a wider screen, up-to date maps and some additional features and, having had no problems with my previous Garmin unit, the 1390T seemed like a good option. I received my first 1390T (I did not buy from Amazon) in early December 2009, but had to return it in late December 2009 as it continually switched itself off. The replacement unit is about to go back as the touch-screen seems to be faulty, or to respond very poorly. The 1390T does have some great features, but I have been very disappointed with my experiences. I would also echo some other postings regarding the size of the map download from the Garmin website (over 5GB), which caused a few problems for my relatively new PC and also the bulkiness of the in-car power cable.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...