on 9 June 2011
This seems to be great. I was looking for an electronic drumkit for my son's birthday, as he's always wanted to learn to play the drums, and felt these types of drumkits could be a good starting point. When i came across this one from ION, and saw it has a built in learning feature, as well as the different musical styles and patterns, i thought it seemed a good buy. I would recommend, and with the headphone option it does make life quieter, especially if your child plays it as much as mine does!
0Comment44 of 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 January 2013
From a secret pensioner drummer - This is so much fun, and can be done from an armchair. It's also good exercise, and my physio-therapist approves of it!
* You can't hear it if you buy the headphones as well
on 8 January 2013
Its a good drum set if you haven't got room for the real thing! It also has a headphones input which is good
on 25 January 2016
Got this for my daughter as an interim step as she has shown an interest in learning how to play drums - I figured it would be a good small scale practice set to learn some basic rhythm patterns on and saw that it had a 'training' mode which I thought would be helpful.

Now the good news is that it works Ok and she has been able to play with it but not without some minor issues;

Firstly, it can be pretty quiet - when we tried first time round I thought it was broken as we could hardly hear anything. Even with the volume turned up it seemed pretty quiet. Part if the issue is the drum pads sensitivity, bearing in mind my eight year old daughter is just learning, it't quite dependant on you striking the pad exactly right to get any kind of decent volume although we have found some drum kit selections are more sensitive than others.

One thing you can do though is use the AUX out to plug into a portable speaker which thankfully she has and this makes the drum kit much more usable.

Secondly, the 'mix' between the in build rhythms and the drum sounds is far too heavy of the backing rhythm making it almost impossible to hear the drums you're playing while in training mode.

Thirdly, power supply - it used C batteries and who uses them any more - pretty much every other toy we have that takes batteries uses AA's now but we power it from the USB socket anyway which is one of the old style big ones you used to see a lot of in printers so that might be an indication of when this unit was designed.

Finally I would add that there seems to have been a price hike on this unit since we bought it and given this is very much a 'toy' drum pad I wouldn't say it justifies a price tag of over £70 given its limitations (no additional foot pedals for example) and I've seen full used electric drum kits for equivalent price. It has been useful to get my daughter to practice basic rhythms so in that regards it's done it's job, however I would suggest doing some research and shopping around a bit.
on 3 January 2016
It's a shame it hasn't been set up properly, and the PC software doesn't do very much. I can hardly hear the drum sounds generated by the pads when the accompaniment is playing. The PC software generates drum sounds in response to signals received from the pads via USB, and these can be used to complement the sound from the drum machine's internal speakers, but it's a shame you have to go to this amount of trouble to make the system useable. The software has no options for handling MIDI files and it doesn't interact with the machine's backing tracks in any way. My only guess is that they rushed the design stage in order to get it out for Christmas. Children seem to enjoy using it despite these flaws, but I think they deserve better than this.
on 20 April 2013
DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT, IT IS AWFUL!

I have never written a review on Amazon before but am going to start now.
I bought this for my 6 year old son and was cautiously optimistic about the product. Sadly when he opened it on his birthday yesterday he and I were extremely disappointed. The drums simply cannot be heard over the music and hitting the drum pads creates more noise than the simulated drum noise through the speakers. The 'follow the lights and learn' function is a joke: how can you hit a drum at the same time as a light appearing? Simply awful.

Sometimes you have to spend a nit of money to get the real thing. I looked on the net and bought the DD305 Portable Electronic Drum Pads by Gear4music (available directly or through Amazon). It is significantly more expensive (especially when you get next morning delivery to replace a terrible birthday present!) but it is well worth it. It arrived this morning and is far, far superior. Brilliant fun compared to this awful, awful electronic drum kit. We have been playing with it all day.

I have never returned anything to Amazon but this ION drum kit is going in their bin
on 10 March 2013
very good for the price. if it come with foot pedal and digital display is even better, happy to recommend it
on 17 December 2012
I bought this for my nephew's birthday who is learning to play drums at school. It tkes a while to work out how to use it as it does not have any instructions. But worst of all, it arrived with a European 2 prong plug so we had to go in search of a converter plug before he could play with his present.

Is it usual to sell an electronic item to the UK with a foreign plug and expect us to use an adaptor ? I realise the item came from Luxembourg, but it should be adapted for the UK if the product is knowingly being sold and forwarded to a UK buyer...
on 28 June 2013
My 4 year old son isn't quite as interested in this asI was hoping but when he does remember it he enjoys making some noise. An older child would get a lot more out of drumming properly to the many programmed melodies i'm sure.
Ironically I received one with a 3 pin UK plug when I would have preferred a 2 pin euro plug.
on 28 January 2013
The background music is louder then the drum. It was the worse choice ever. The product damage and customer service very very poor.