Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 9 June 2012
Having seen this in the cinema yesterday I was quite surprised to read some of the reviews on this site. First of all, I must state that I am not a big fan of MIB or MIB2 - I thought they were OK films. My young son wanted to see this so my wife and I thought it would help alleviate a wet and windy afternoon. All I can say is Wow, how pleasantly surprised we were. I thought the action scenes were adequate and the gags were quite funny. Where I have to differ with most of the other reviewers is that I thought the story was excellent. It takes you on a brief history trip while managing to round off the MIB story, taking the characters full circle.
As I stated, I wasn't a fan of the other MIB films but we all really enjoyed this one. If you're undecided as to whether or not to watch it, give it a go - you may be as pleasantly surprised as we were. I would certainly watch it again. It's also worth mentioning that you don't have to have seen 1 and 2 to be able to follow this one. Hope this helps.
0Comment| 127 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 June 2012
When the original Men in Black film came out, it was to a lot of hype. The film was a huge success, as it more than lived up to the expectations it had built up for itself.

When the second MiB film was released, it was to an equal amount of hype. It was ok, provided you didn't mind seeing the plot of the first film with the roles reversed. Not a huge success, but it had some good moments.

And now we have the third film. I had not seen as much hype about it, and the trailer looked promising. So I decided to go and watch it to see how they faired this time around.

First of all, the plot was thankfully different: as you are probably aware, time travel is involved. Agend K (Smith) has to go back in time to save Agent J's (Jones) younger self (Brolin) from being killed. This leads to the inevitable "Black man in racist-era New York" confrontation. Which is played for laughs, and bizarrely, works! That only plays a minor part in the plot, and your opinions probably vary as to whether or not that is a good thing.

The plot is pretty straight-forward, with lots of hinting about the events in past early on. Sure enough, by the end of the film, all the major questions are answered, and very few plot holes are created (and the one or two that do stand out are not enough to spoil your enjoyment).

Casting is crucial, and when you have to select an actor to play a younger version of a well established character, it becomes even more critical. There has been varying success in other films: Ewan McGregor is almost believable as a younger Alec Guiness in the Star Wars franchise. Rob Lowe as a young Robert Wagner in Austin Powers is not so spot-on, but we forgive as he is plays the part so well. But what of Josh Brolin as Tommy Lee Jones?

Flawless.

Characterisation - excellent. Accent - well, I still don't know if it was Brolin speaking or Jones dubbing him! Either way, it was not a distraction, other than to marvel at how good a job they did.

As for the Big Bad... Jemaine Clement as Boris is very good. Wonderfully hammy, not too cheesy, and instantly dislikable. In short, everything you want in a comedy drama such as this. As an aside, I did not realise until after the film was over that he was one half of the comedy musical duo Flight of the Conchords. And yes, I have seen it the mockumentary... he really was that unrecognisable, which is all to Clement's credit.

The story itself was nothing special - in essence it is a standard plot that crops up every now and then in Doctor Who, and was the staple for every Quantum Leap episode ever made. Nevertheless, they made it work here, and they made it fun. It was clichéd, but that's not always a bad thing. After all, a cliché is only a plot device that gets re-used because it works well.

If you want a sci-fi film that will make you think, then this is not for you. If you want a bit of well acted silly and funny nonsense then this is likely to be right up your street.
22 comments| 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 June 2012
A decade away from the movie scene has given the Men In Black series a chance at a fresher, newer perspective. Taking its cue from Shrek Forever After, MIB 3 takes on a tired concept (time travel in this case) if only to acknowledge the failure of its dull sequel and take us back to a different era allowing us to view the franchise from an unsullied angle. The result is a film that returns to its roots and gives audiences the chance to relive much of what they first enjoyed - a smart, sci-fi, buddy comedy that embraces everything weird and wonderful about the unknown universe.

In his first cinematic role in nearly 4 years, Will Smith's Agent J is the usual charming, witty wiseass we expect him to be. Still teamed up with the laconic Agent K (wrinkly Tommy Lee Jones) he is no closer to cracking his older partners deadpan demeanour but their relationship issues take a back seat when a nemesis from Kay's past, Boris the animal, turns up to exact revenge for having been imprisoned on the moon 40 years ago. His elaborate plan takes him back in the past, to the day he was caught, and sets ripples in the present, where K no longer exists and a different reality results. J has to then literally time jump (off the Empire State building no less) and fix the past for normalcy to return in the present.

The films primary achievement and a true signal of its return to form though are the scenes set in the past. Not only is Josh Brolin a deadringer for Tommy Lee's K during his youth, but the hip musical vibes of the late 60's/early 70's allow for plenty of playfulness to ensue with a particularly hilarious segment devoted to Andy Warhol. If that isn't enough, everything very neatly ties into another epochal scientific moment from that time period and ends on a moment of curiously satisfying emotionality that provides not only closure to the film but the series as a whole. If that doesn't make you forgive all the wrongs that the sequel did and embrace this film as one of the years better movie franchise offerings the only thing that might work on you is a neuralizer.
on 16 October 2012
I was a big fan of Men in Black as a kid, being a sci-fi nerd and all that, but even as a child I wasn't a big fan of the first sequel. It made the fatal sequel mistake of trying to take what was popular about the original and exploiting it, rather than driving the overarching story forward or exploring deeper the world it had created (which was a shame, because MIB opened up a whole universe of possibilities - literally).

Men in Black 3 actually DOES do the latter, to an extent. It does not try to replicate the conditions of the original film, which is very refreshing, even going so far as to remove Tommy Lee Jones from the majority of the film, where the second film even denied him the happy ending he had found in the first just to drag him back into the franchise.

The plot, involving time travel, does not seem out of place in the film's universe of endless possibilities. The 60's setting allows some hillarious scenes, such as revelations about Andy Warhol, and a great little scene where Agent J encounters some racist cops.

Josh Brolin, as the younger version of agent K, is superb - his Tommy Lee Jones impression is so good that I was completely sucked in while watching this in the cinema. The character of Griffin, an alien with the ability to see all possible futures, is the best part of the film however. He is such a sweet, likeable and funny character that he makes the entire film worth watching. The villain is decent, although he is not nearly as threatening as the Bug in the original, and there was never a moment where I thought he might win. Emma Thompson's Agent O (replacing Rip Torn's Z, who is explained, rather abruptly, as dead) is also decent, although she has little to do in the film.

There are a few dud moments - the first ten minutes was so bad that I was worried the entire film would follow in the same vein, and the ending you will predict with a slight groan (although it is nice, if implausible).

Overall, I think this film is at least worth a watch if you enjoyed the original. It's the silly and exciting fun you expect from the franchise - and with a few nice callbacks to the original for fans. I enjoyed it a lot - I actually saw it twice in the theatre and left happy both times.

- p.s. Whoever decided Pitbull should do the title song was an idiot.
I bought this for my Nephew's Birthday as he has just discovered the Men in Black series after watching the third in the series on the tv however he loves the series so much that he has asked for the DVD's so that he can watch them over and over again - much to his parent's annoyance! The wrong way around to watch it I know with him watching this one first but at least each film in the series is sort of stand alone so that you don't really need to have watched them in order. I think pretty much everyone has seen the Men In Black series and whilst I wasn't overly impressed with number 2, this one is certainly a very entertaining watch.
on 28 September 2013
I liked the first two films so buying this was a must. A trip back in time makes it different from the first two,
but hang on a minute, has than not been done by just about every Sci-Fi film/series?
No I'm being unfair, it's a very entertaining film well worth watching, I've seen it twice in the last five months
so I must like it. There's also some new Toy's for them to play with.
If you liked the first two, you'll want this one!
on 12 January 2016
Really good fun, family film. Agent J takes a trip back in time to save the life of K, prevent an war and save the planet - which all in days work for the Men in Black. Josh Brolin as the young K is excellent, and the whole film is very entertaining with plenty of laughs, not least and appearance of Andy Warhol.
on 18 August 2013
Oh yes without a doubt, how have they done it?
The plot is a dangerous undertaking. It's a complex meander and there are so many places where it could just go bottom up and crash! Yet it doesn't.
The theme is maintained excellently throughout, the excitment levels never fail, and the viewer will be left sitting on the edge of their seat the whole way through, being taken for a ride to the top of a skyscraper (with its accompanying fall), to the late 1960's, the top of a rocket about to go into space, and many other hair raising scenarios! We meet some of the colourful personalities of the era, (along with other extra terrestrial ones), and get a feel for just how zany this time was.
The acting levels are brilliant as ever, with the inclusion of Josh Brolin's contribution, which was superb. He talks about how hard he worked becoming K's younger self studying carefully his mannerisms, and the effort was well worth it. He's almost the same person. I love to see the actors thoroughly enjoying their roles, it bespeaks the quality of the script and their input, and enhances the whole film.
There is no lack of special effects, and exciting camera work, it's done so slickly and professionally that it's difficult to see the real cleverness behind these effects, and with films of this level of expertise the bonus material should be gone through, to enhance our appreciation. I did miss Jeebs, he seems to be such a firm member of the cast, it would be nice to see him again.
The film has everything colour, loads of action, humour, pathos, a trip to HQ, and a history lesson, how refreshing for us folk who actually lived through this era! This film also answers questions regarding the relationship between our two heroes, which could be quite an eye opener for some.
The whole MIB set takes pride of place in my DVD collection, and along with certain others, I can't see it being ousted easily. Will there be another? There aren't many successful quadrilogies, this could well have the makings of one.
on 7 February 2015
Excellent film , Great storyline , Loads of action , Not as funny as previous MIB but i think this film can only really be appreciated if you can understand the evolution of the characters and actors from previous films , Will Smith and jones being older have more of a suitably mature sense of humour and deeper roles to play in this movie. The characters were all great and played very well , Storyline interesting if a little confusing over the time travel paradox thing, Still overall it's a fun watch and possibly the last true MIB film with the original cast.
on 4 March 2016
Very enjoyable. I idn't fidget whilst watching which means it kept me interested. (I am disabled and if a film makes me forget pain, it's goood for me.) I hate leaving reviews because I thi k critics are a waste of time. I enjoyed this you may too. You also may not. Who knows?