VINE VOICEon 17 January 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
A simple plain black mouse mat with the Amazon Basics logo. Well made for the price.

Nothing more that you can really say about it, other than the mouse moves easily on it and it blends in nicely with the rest of the equipment in a simple and understated way.

***EDIT 31/7/13

Two and a half years later, still going strong. Still looks good. Maybe very very slightly looking frayed at edges but barely noticeable. Good buy!
11 comment15 of 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
A rubber backed mouse mat with a cloth front. Black, with a small Amazon Basics logo in the bottom right hand corner.

The rubber is quite thick and comfortable to rest your wrist on while moving the mouse. The matt black cloth front looks snazzy, and my optical mouse works well with it, with a smooth movement of the cursor on the screen as the mouse is moved. The rubber grip is effective and keeps the mat stationary.

Cheap, smart looking and effective at its job. Excellent.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 18 August 2013
Smart-looking black pad with a discreet logo in the lower right corner. It goes well with my keyboard. It is a good size (20 x 22.7 cm), large enough but not too vast on a smallish desk. The pad is very supple, covered in smooth jersey material with a textured rubber backing which seems to grip just about everywhere (my desk is covered by a decorative cloth).

I expected the fabric to start coming away from the backing at the lower edge, where my wrist rests and rubs on it, but so far (after 6 weeks of constant daily use), I can see no signs of wear whatsoever. My AmazonBasics 3-Button USB Wired Mouse Black (also AmazonBasics) glides effortlessly over the surface and I am very pleased with this small but useful purchase. I noticed how good this pad is when I washed it and briefly reverted to my old one during drying time. Huge difference!

UPDATE: After almost a year and a half of daily use, this pad is still in one piece, the fabric covering shows no sign of detaching and the bottom edge (where my wrist makes contact) is a bit shiny and slightly worn. Excellent durability in my experience.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The title more or less says it all; this is a better than average mouse mat for general computing (email, browsing, occasional gaming, desktop publishing, etc), but is not quite up to the quality of a more serious gamer's mat.

The mat has three layers rather than the usual two; the top layer is shiny cloth, then there is a foam layer, and at the bottom is a thin rubber layer. The bottom layer is not present on most mats in this price range, and it is this that gives the mat a slightly better than average look and feel (as well as giving good grip).

The mat is a little thinner than usual, coming in at 3mm, and works ok with both optical and tracker-ball mice. It also looks quite smart, especially with an all-black or all-white mouse.

As the mat has a cloth covering, it doesn't have the slick feel of a gaming mouse mat (which tend to have low friction plastic coverings rather than cloth), but I don't suppose this mat is aimed at serious gamers in any case.

One issue I don't know yet is how well the mat will last. The biggest issue with cloth covered mats is how quickly the cloth starts peeling off. I will update this review if I find any surprises on this front.

For the record, I use my computer for web design (Adobe Creative Suite), 3D authoring (SoftImage) and photography (Adobe Lightroom) as well as general computing (word processing, browsing, email) and a fair bit of more cerebral gaming (tending more towards strategy/simulations rather than first person shooters).
on 1 August 2012
Before I write this I should point out that I got this item for free (promotion when purchasing a mouse as well), so I am technically not actually reviewing this with respect to the £5 price tag.

Anyway, I am a fan of cloth mouse pads (I had a Razor one in New Zealand) and I can say that while this isn't as good, It still does the job. The mat is a nice weight and the bottom surface is surprisingly hard to move while using the mouse. I am primarilly a 'wrist' user in that I use high resolution (dpi) settings to get the mouse to move further with little actual movement, and this probably keeps the mat in the same place as I don't move my hand.
The cloth surface provides a nice smooth surface and my mouse glides over it well. It is also kind on any fingers you have trailing off the mouse along the pad.

The only caveat I would make with this mat is it's ability when paired with a high resolution laser mouse. I haven't such a mouse to test this with, but I would suspect that there would be a little cursor 'jumping' as the laser tracks over the cloth weave.

Would I pay £5 for it? I have to admit I would have been much more reserved had I not been given the mousepad as part of a promotion, but I still would consider is a worthwhile buy.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
It is so easy to downgrade the quest to find a good mouse mat, but it is foolish to do so. Consider the amount of time you sit in front of your computer in the course of a year. Even an average user will spend several hundred hours at least and, if your mouse mat is ineffective and inefficient, it could cause serious frustration, to say the least, and wrist pain and uncomfort at worst.

For some time now I have been using the Apple Magic Mouse together with a relatively expensive pad with a gel wrist support. For many operations, I began to find this combination frustrating, slow and unsatisfactory and decided to try out the inexpensive AmazonBasics pad. It is a simple, flexible rectangle, measuring approximately 8 x 9 inches. It is black in colour and has an excellent gripping back surface. I have found the pad to be ideal. A big improvement on my previous set-up, it allows my Mouse to glide effortlessly over its upper surface, improving the smoothness and the speed of my browsing. Additional bonuses are its simple, pleasing appearance and the fact that it colour co-ordinates with my computer equipment.

My more expensive Mat has now been mothballed and I highly recommend my new AmazonBasics one.
on 8 January 2011
It does seem a little odd to be reviewing a mouse mat! But, when looking at your home computing setup, a decent mouse mat is an important part of the setup that faces you on your desktop, so it's worth getting it right. This mat is in essence what it says on the tin: a good value, solid basic item that would be a good starting point for someone setting up their computer network for the first time-perhaps a student or a youngster getting their own room first time. There's a good surface with just the right amount of friction: the edges of which do seem a little prone to fraying, so I'm not sure how long this item would keep its pristine looks! Most important for me is the rubberised base which secures it exactly we want to be, and so far on my setup, has stayed foursquare!

I also think the wider issue of the Amazon Basics range is a good one. I like the push towards user friendly packaging, and there is a good range of products which provides a safe home for a user-friendly item like this. Obviously, the "value" ranges of other major retailers are the competition for this range, but so far it looks good, offers good value, and is a another few yards of territory for the expanding Amazon Empire!
VINE VOICEon 18 January 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Part of the Amazon Basics range this mousemat is one of an ever growing selection of products that Amazon brands under its own name. The product itself is of reasonable quality about 0.5cm thick, of reasonable size and with a discreet Amazon Basics logo in the bottom right hand corner. The underside has a matted surface so it does not slip on the desk and the entire product came in "Amazon Certified Frustration Free" packaging, so was easy to get into.

Overall, my only criticism with the product would be the edges of the upper coating of that mat which appear as if they might fray. While there is no obvious reason to buy this over any other mousemat, I would say that this product is functional at a reasonable price.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Another Amazon Basics winner. Mats are truly basic as far as PC peripherals go, but despite the ever improving technology on mice, a dedicated mat can ensure your mouse performs as you expect it to. I recently bought a new computer table - very stylish in black glass. Sadly, my mouse (a pretty expensive one, at that), doesn't like it much. So... a mat is an essential.

This mat is pretty old school - it sports a fabric weave on the top, with a rubber base to grip the table top. The mat is nicely made, with no frayed edges or the like. The fabric top is has a lovely, silky smooth quality which you do notice as you slide your mouse around on it.

Basic, for sure. But it does its job with aplomb. The mat is perhaps slightly over-priced, but the all-black and discrete logo are stylish enough in this market. Considering Amazon's Super Saver option can deliver this for free, the overall cost is not so bad compared to cheaper options from auction sites and other e-tailers who charge for delivery. I think it's preferable to the "cute kitten" or "nudey lady" types you more typically see. Gimmick-free and task focused.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 November 2011
Does what it says on the package. Turned up just when I needed it. My only complaint is with the extras in cost that Amazon find to add on. When I purchased this the price had gone up nearly 2£ in the time that I purchased it and when it was dispached and I had to pay the increased price when I feel that I should have only had to pay the price that was stated on the advertisment, and the handling charge seemed a bit much. When I thought I had paid £5.80 plus postage for the pad the final price I had to shell out was well over £9. I have found this when purchasing items direct from Amazon inthe past when I buy of a third party all you pay for is the item and any postage, and that is what you get from them on their receipt, non of these extras that you are not made aware of when you have your goods in your basket. this reveiw started of as many other plain ones I have given in the past but I thought I needed to get this off my chest, I think about the cost every time I look at this pad .Is that fun enough for you.Many thanks. (not) long live third parties,Gomezz.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse