on 24 September 2010
I have fine wavy hair that goes flat if it's more than a few inches long. I tried blow drying it different ways, but this is a lot easier to use and the effect is much better.
I was afraid of the difficulty of getting it work well, after all in the video only the easiest part of the head is done. Luckily this is not a problem. When using it, I don't really have to see what I'm doing. I only crimped a few times on the back of my head, didn't even do it twice as shown in the video, only once near the roots. On the sides it is easier to follow a pattern, but I don't think it is really important. I just have to make sure I don't crimp any parts that will be visible. All in all, I was surprised how much volume it created after using it so haphazardly. An unexpected benefit I found is that I don't have to wash my hair every day if I use this. Who would have thought?

Update 4 months after my original review:
I still use this every other day, right after washing and quickly drying my hair. It takes about 2 minutes. I tried to go without it a few times, but my hair looks so much worse, that I just MUST keep using it. I'm afraid I'm addicted... On the plus side, I haven't noticed any damaging on my hair, and I haven't had it cut since August. Without pumping my hair up, by now I'd look awful and would have had to have it cut. So it was a good investment, already paid for itself.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 31 October 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This time of year with all the damp weather it's really hard to keep fine hair from falling limply flat and nobody's more surprised than me how effective these are.

I've got fine, layered, shoulder length hair and these certainly work brilliantly on mine, I only need to use the lowest heat setting, which when selected is clearly shown on the top of the appliance and flashes until the temperature is reached.

They have three different temperatures 140°C, 170°C or 200°C and heat up in seconds. They also come with a decent length lead and as a safety feature switch off automatically if you accidentally leave them switched on.

Really easy to use, I just clip back the top layers and crimp next to the root of the hair underneath for a few seconds gently and then style my top layers as usual - admittedly the crinkly bits do look a bit strange but once my top layers are down you can't see them anyway. Not only do these work, but my style stays all day.

Great gift idea if you know someone who's always complaining that the damp weather makes their hair go flat.
on 24 November 2012
I bought this product 2 years ago and when I first started to use it, I LOVED IT. I am a massive fan of big hair and this gave me such fantastic volume, I instantly fell in love with it. It was quick and easy to use and was fab for the price. The volune lasted amazing (right through to the next wash). I was so in love with it I added it to my morning routine every day or every other day. For 3-4 months it was fantastic and I hadn't noticed any damage.

One day after washing my hair I noticed there seemed to be a small patch of har by my ear that had broken off to about 2 inches in length. I was confused and decided that I must have accidentally shaved it off as I am so clumsy and always brushing myhair back from my face. But the patch grew and then the same thing happened to the other side of my hair. There was onl one explanation. The length of thebhair was the xact same length as the Babyliss root boost after 2 rows of crimps. The hair that I had been using it on everyday for the poast 3-4 months had jst given u (hir grows about 0.5 inches a month, so the new hair I had started using it on when I purchased the product had dealt with it every timeit was used). Aded to this, over the next few months as I lost mroe andmore, the only hair that I lost, was that which I had use theroot boost on. My top layers were absolutely fine. 2 years on and my hair has grown back (though I still need to wait another year to have the originl length back), but the whole experience was horrible. I was worried I wouldlose all of my hair and I regret so much using the root boost to the extent that I did. Yes, the results are fantasic, inthe short term, but in the long term, if you use thi product everyday/every other day, I would say you rally need to try your best to wean yourself off it.

My hair has always dealt with straightners and it sll grows and I coniditon with good prducts. This was the newest hair (and not straightned because of the root boost use) that broke off, so it was not to do with straightners.

Please, BE CAREFUL with this product. It can cause EXTREME DAMAGE. Yes, use it on the odd occassion for an event, but please don't use it everyday; no matter how fabulus it makes you look and feel.
on 8 January 2012
I was quite sceptical about this product. Espeially after reading the 1-star reviews. My hair is long and heavy and at the same time it's fine and very, VERY straight. Most of the time it looks very flat and no products I ever used managed to put much volume into it. At least not for long. Therefore I couldn't wait to try this crimper and I used it straight after the postman delivered it! :) I washed my hair, dried it the ususal way and followed instructions from youtube in how to use it. I took a "before" and "after" picture and I was amazed! It looked like I had twice as much hair! All my friends noticed the difference and complimented me on how great my hair looks. But most of all it made me feel very good about my looks so if you are considering buying this product - just get it! It is brilliant.
on 9 September 2010
I have never wrote a review before. I have very fine hair and have tried every lotion and potion to give me some root lift, i have never found a product which has worked. I bought the root boost last week and have found it really does give root lift which lasts even till the next day.

I am very pleased with this product.
on 20 January 2012
Its fab i have fine hair and this really makes it look and feel full and thick. love it!! deffinately recommend this product!
VINE VOICEon 14 November 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have to admit, I'm stunned. I really honestly didn't think this would work. I have what my grandmother charmingly referred to as nine hairs and a nit and, since I started to straighten my hair it's as flat as a pancake. I had images in my head of walking along the road, the wind catching my hair and whipping it up in the air to reveal a layer of crimping!

In actual fact, the crimps are so narrow and on such a small area of your head, right next to the roots that it's impossible to see them. I had a bit of a fight with it at first until I realised that it was better to straighten your hair, then crimp underneath instead of the other way round (crimping first means you spend half your time re-crimping the flat bits that you straightened after they were initially crimped! Frustrating and very time consuming...)

So when I looked in the mirror, half of me expected to see absolutely no difference whatsoever, and the other half of me expected a Dynasty-esque bouffant effect. In fact it was neither. This crimper gives just a nice little bit of volume without it looking ridiculous. It'll take a bit of practise to get to grips with it, as it still makes my morning routine a good bit longer but that will improve in time and is well worth the effort.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 August 2011
I was led to buy this based on all the positive reviews I'd read and though it does work for me the results are a bit too subtle. I think a bigger crimper would be better personally
on 4 December 2010
How many times have I blow dried my hair, head hanging upside down, curled my hair, slept in rollers (euk), applied fixing gel, mousse, hairspray - then after half an hour my hair is back to being flat with ears poking through mmm......................

I've had very long hair, short hair, layers, a bob, feathered etc etc - but if your hair is fine and flat there is absolutely nothing that will give it that volume - unless you plump for a perm, the shaved look, permanently tie it up or fix it rigid with hair spray (which doesn't move in a force 10 gale) mmm.........

This root booster is really brilliant. Crimp the roots only in layers, back, sides and top, leaving the outer layers untouched, and I find my style stays in ALL DAY!!! For a special 'do', I spend time doing many layers, but for a quick boost I just do one or two underneath layers. Doesn't take long. Also the wind hasn't managed to blow away the fullness yay!!

I find the cord length fine - helps to be positioned near a socket.

Don't think this would work on thick wavy hair (probably the weight of thick hair would make it flat, though you could try crimping smaller sections maybe?), and anyway why would you if your hair is thick and wavy? God please give ME thick wavy hair.......

Yes it probably would dry your hair out if used everyday, but use heat styling products to protect your hair, or just do your hair on special days.

My only problem? - I burnt my ear ha!!! Perhaps I'll next opt for a ear pinning op ...... :-)

Great gadget - absolutely a must for fine flat hair.

33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 July 2013
I've got quite fine and flat hair and had been using rollers and back combing for lift which would undoubtedly flatten within an hour. I read about mini crimpers and how they can add volume and thought I'd try this one after reading all the other reviews for other brands. I chose this for its price and that I could see it was designed especially for volume and adults (there are other larger crimpers for hair design and kids 'fun'). Super easy to use, there are three heat settings and after trying it on the lowest one I found it didn't stay long in my fine hair. I tried again on the middle one and now find that crimped hair keeps it shape even after two days or a when caught in a quick rain shower. Not sure how well it would work on thicker/coarser hair even on the highest setting.
It has a rubbish 'mat' which is one piece of felt that wraps around the closed product, so would recommend putting it in something else to carry around. It does have a closing mechanism which is great and no latch that sticks out between the prongs which could catch on your hair.
All in all, I am glad I bought this