on 7 September 2013
Arrived this morning and must say I'm pretty disappointed with this.

Yes there is a ghastly looking timer, which you don't have to use but my main gripe is that there are far fewer questions in this pack then the older packs.

In the old Genus Editions and probably most of the later ones, there were two big long block boxes of question cards, packed tightly with questions. The sizes of the question card boxes has been reduced by about a third, and the boxes are not even full! There's about a 20% gap where more cards could be! So this has been well and truly downsized.

I still give this game reasonable ratings overall as it retains the classic elements, and it is still fun, but be aware that if you are a very regular player you might have to invest in some extra questions before too long!
on 16 November 2011
This was a great disappointment. It was bought for a weekend away as we enjoy general knowledge quizzes, but a great many of the questions relate to obscure (to a British person at least) American/Canadian politics, light entertainment etc that no-one in the UK would be expected to know. I'm now left wondering whether this edition is in fact intended for the north American market. It was so bad that we gave up before the game was finished. Buyer beware!
44 comments|108 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 December 2011
The questions in this edition are for Americans and is totally inappropriate for Brits. As a big TP fan I was very disappointed.
11 comment|66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 April 2013
Having spent the previous 30 years merrily thrashing her at The Original Triv, Mrs Svensson recently insisted that we invest in a more recent edition of our favourite apres-dinner squabblefest.

Alas, The New Triv has been heavily Hasbro'd... the lumps of cheese have all be ergonomically reshaped, the graphics are now more 'Primary School Reception Classroom' than 'Edwardian Drawing Room' and there's a ghastly timer that plays - I believe - 30 seconds of Madonna's 'Papa Don't Preach' (Jellybean Benitez 'Groinbuster' remix) while Mrs Svensson tears her remaining hair out and utterly fails to answer her question.

Worse, however, is that there appear to be FAR fewer questions in this version than the original. Obviously, this will make it easier for me to memorise all the answers (thus bringing the day of my divorce ever closer...), but it's a bit of a swizz, really. On its first outing, with only three (fairly thick, drunk) players, we managed to get through around a sixth of the question cards.

Not a cheap trick to make people invest in more over-priced Hasbro question sets, surely..? Mmmmm.
55 comments|98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 March 2013
I don't get all of these reviews about it being US focused. The version I bought recently certainly isn't - it's very UK focused, in fact! We find this to be a superb, up-to-date version of an old classic and highly recommend it.
on 26 December 2010
Great game, we wanted the classic format and although some of the questions are quite tough, it's a great version of the original. Recommended.
on 23 February 2014
2 examples:

Q. What period in history did Blackadder derive its material from?
A. The reign of George III
(Seriously?! There are, of course, 4 seasons of Blackadder set in 4 different time periods.)

Q. Which European City would you be on if arriving at Europe train station?
A. Paris
(No station of the name is to be found in Paris, the right answer should be Lille.)
on 14 November 2015
I don't often write reviews on here, but felt I should after reading the others about how it is "very American". It really isn't at all. There are questions about places all over the world, but it definitely isn't focused on America in any way, so I wouldn't let this put you off buying it. I was unsure at first but thought I'd take the risk, and I love it!
on 5 January 2013
Is there a recent UK version?

I have lived in the U.S for 20 years and know that many questions would be tough for the British audience, particularly, orange - sport and leisure, and pink - arts & entertainment.

Love the game though... would be fun to buy a British version and challenge my U.S. friends to a game !
on 26 September 2014
I purchased this for my four year old Red Setter, Alberic, having been advised by his "dog trainer" that he showed signs of unusually high intelligence for a dog. Based on our experience with this particular game I have to conclude that his so called "intelligence" has been greatly exaggerated and I've unfortunately entered into a protracted and ongoing legal battle with the "dog training school" in question. In a purely human setting, I must say that the game is excellent and has provided my Mother, Grandmother and myself with many evenings of fun, unsullied by the filth that seems to be the only substance that the television seems to be capable of providing in this day and age. With Alberic however, the game never really got off the ground. Despite more than ten minutes of patient and careful explanation, he simply didn't seem to understand even the most basic rules, and after several hours of perseverance I must admit to failure. Alberic has now eaten four sets of dice (eight die in total), which promises a miserable and smelly day of board-game ancillary recovery tomorrow. Good, but not great.