Style Name: Non HRMColour Name: GreyChange

on 16 May 2010
The Garmin Forerunner 110 is a great training aid for your outdoor runs. It doesn't have custom screens so you can just see distance, time and average pace and you can scroll through to see heart rate as well. It doesn't have the feature to set interval targets or heart rate zones, or pace alarms, but let's be honest - unless you are training for the next olympics, do you really need all that!

You can upload all the data to Garmin Connect and you can see a map of your run through the Google maps interface and you can look at your heart rate and pace along the length of your run. You can set an autolap so that the Forerunner records data every mile, for instance and for most runners this is surely enough.

It's really easy to use and perfect for anyone who wants an automatic record of their runs.
11 comment282 of 292 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 May 2011
My wife bought me this watch for my birthday, and i'm thrilled with it! Incredibly easy to set up, after a quick charge, and inputting a few details (weight, height, age etc) you are ready to go! The watch located a signal within 30 seconds, and its as simple as pressing start and off you go. The face is easy to read and it's comfortable and lightweight, the heart rate monitor is comfortable and automatically synced with the watch straight away. I'm currently training for a marathon and fount the wealth of information available at a glance really useful. To me( a stats geek!) the information about your run available on the garmin website is fascinating, to be able to see every detail of your run laid out in an easy to understand and comprehensive way is the cherry on the cake! Far more in depth than the Nike plus website, I really think this has been designed for runners BY runners. Essential.
on 16 August 2011
Being new to running, but having several friends who are 'runners', I just wanted an easy to use device that wasn't the size of a house brick on my wrist to help me track how far and how fast I was running. The Garmin Forerunner 110 did just that, plus it gave me my calories burnt, pace and the ability to upload my runs to Garmin Connect, which then shows you a lovely map of your route, so I thought it was brilliant!

Unfortunately, after using the watch for just 3.5 weeks (and only on 6 runs), it developed a problem. The screen locked on either blank, or with just 'Garmin' displayed and had no other functionality. I plugged it into my laptop, and was pleased to still be able to download my most recent run, and things appeared normal. I presumed I had let the battery die or it was a minor fault that had corrected itself. That was, until I unplugged it from the laptop and encountered the same problem.

I called Garmin Support (very good service, didn't have to hold an unacceptable amount of time), and was told I may need to do a new software update. I followed the instructions to do this, and received the message 'no updates available, your device has the current software' (or something to that effect). The following day, I tried again, but this time was offered the option to 'reinstall software', so I thought I'd try that...no luck, problem still there.

I called Garmin again and was told that I had one of two options, either return the device to Amazon for a refund, and purchase another, or send it to Garmin (at my expense) and they would send me out a refurbished replacement with a 1 year guarantee. I have chosen the former, but plan on purchasing another, as I really did enjoy using the device before I encountered this problem. I will post another review once I have done so, to ensure that if this was a one-off problem (which I am hoping), that I give a fair review of what is otherwise a very nice, easy to use product, with great functionality for a first time runner like me.
11 comment9 of 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 June 2010
<<< I've edited my previous positive review here to reflect the terrible service I've received from Garmin, following persistent satellite link issues with my Forerunner 110 >>>

After about 18 months of occasional use, my Forerunner 110 intermittently became unable to find satellites. The problem got worse and worse, and, after getting bored of standing outside my flat for 20 minutes in the cold before a run, I decided to send it back to Garmin for repair - paying a £60 maintenance fee. I promptly received a reconditioned watch back from Garmin, with a 90 day warranty.

After 91 days, the reconditioned watch started experiencing the same problem, even worse than my original. It wouldn't find satellites at all. On calling Garmin support I was condescendingly told that, obviously, it was a software issue (of my own making), because I hadn't run a software update when I received it (since they send out hardware with out-of-date software installed as standard).

This did nothing to alleviate the problem. Garmin Support now (condescendingly, again) insist that, because it's outside of the warranty period, my only course of action is to pay another £60 maintenance fee and get another reconditioned watch.

Do not buy Garmin products.
22 comments155 of 170 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 November 2010
I've given this five stars.

I had tried on some of the 105, 205, 310, and 405 watches and I was generally unhappy with the size / comfort of them. Especially the 405 range - they're really uncomfortable for someone with small wrists, as even though you'll be able to adjust the strap to fit you okay - the back facing on the 405s don't fit snug against the forearm part of your wrist (again that's just for people with small wrists.)

The 110 fits very comforably. I went for the version without heartrate as I don't have a requirement for heartrate. I think the watch looks plain but nice. You could get away with wearing this as a normal watch. It also looks nice when the blue backlight is operated.

Functionality. This is the ideal watch for me. I haven't connected it to a pc yet as I was I'm only just back from injury and haven't had much time to check out pc features yet. I deliberately went for the simpler option of the 110 gps as I don't want to get too caught up in after training analysis (Analysis is Paralysis!)

The watch comes with a small user manual that's very easy to read and understand so I'd advise any purchaser to read that.

In the set up you can select your 110 gps watch to measure your PACE or your SPEED. You can amend your set up at any stage in the future so don't be afraid to experiment. I have mine set up to measure my PACE. You're also asked to set the units at miles or km. And you're also asked to set lap distances. I have my watch on Miles, and I set my lap distance to 0.25 Mile. You can turn the alarm beep on / off (it beeps every lap unless you turn the beep off.)

My watch takes about 1 minute approximately to locate the satelites at which point you can press the start button to begin your run. One day I started my run while it was still locating the satelites with the intention of pressing "start" when the satelites were located but it was taking ages and ages and the progress bar was fluctuating but never completing. After about five minutes I decided to stop running and wait for the satelite location to complete. Once I stopped running it took about just 30 seconds to complete the satelite location. I don't think that's a fault though. I imagine that you need to be stationary while the gps device locates the satelites and running during this phase disrupts the process. So my advice is if you've already bought this watch or if you're thinking of buying one - DON'T start your run until the satelite location is completed.

When using the settings as described above (MILES, PACE, lap 0.25 mile) - when running, on the display you'll have three readngs.
1) Main reading in the centre of display - The total time elapsed since you started your run
2) At the top of the display in small digits - The total distance elapsed since you started your run
3) At the bottom of the display - The current pace (e.g. 8:30) - with my settings as described, means in this example my current pace is 8 min 30 sec miles.

Every lap (0.25 mile in my case) it beeps (you can turn the beep off if you like.) Every time you complete a lap the display gives new info for a few seconds (you can also press "ok" when the "last lap" info is displayed to get back to your normal display.) The three readings on the "last lap" display are:

1) Main reading in the centre of display - The time taken to run last lap
2) At the top of the display - The distance of the last lap (this is obviously what you set your lap at, i.e. 0.25 mile in my case.)
3) At the bottom of the display - The average pace of the last lap (for example, average 8 min 20 sec / miles pace for that lap)

Finally at the end of your run, press the stop button. Then hold the reset button (it prompts you to hold if for a few seconds.) At that point the watch then re-calculates your average pace for the WHOLE of the run and saves it to the history. Simple. Perfect.

As of yet I haven't experimented further with what it can do when connected to a pc. But I purchased it primarily for the uses outlined above. It's ideal (for me) plus from a hardware point of view it's superb. I've given it five stars without hesitation, and if I'm happy with additional features when I eventually rig it up to my pc - I'd give it six stars then if I was able to !!!

The watch delivered free to me in Ireland by Amazon UK. Thanks for that.

Noel,
County Cork.
Ireland.
1111 comments310 of 341 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 February 2012
Very pleased with my Garmin Forerunner 110. The strap adjusts to fit even my skinny wrist. Does as little or as much as I need. Don't always wear the heart rate monitor and sometimes only use it for the time of day! Easy to use; don't really need the instruction manual as it 'goes thro' things on the watch itself. Uploading to the Garmin website is simple and it's great to be able to analyse my runs - which are now improving! So all good!
on 16 April 2011
Being a non runner (read no exercise what so ever) and training for a Marathon I needed/wanted some sort of motivation to help me. I had no idea where to start with GPS style watches or even what I was looking for. I LOVE this watch, it lets me see at a glance if I need to slow down (as if) or speed up. It is very easy to use, I am techno twit and managed to load the software and down load my runs yes runs. The garmin connect software is fab, you can set goals such as burn X calories or run X miles.
This watch is very comfy to wear. I opted for the one with the heart rate monitor and if I am honest save your self some pennies and don't bother with this 'extra' unless you want to see how fast your heart was going at certain stages of the run. It is useful but I wouldn't wear it on every run.

I have very small wrists and despite this being smaller and desiged for woman I still found it bulky and wouldn't wear it as any everyday watch.

I really wish I had bought this at the beginning of my training as it has been a huge help/motivator.

Highly recommend
11 comment76 of 84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 May 2012
This is my first GPS watch and as a budding triathlete I have found it an invaluable tool for assisting with training. It seems to be very quick at picking up satellite signal, certainly no longer than you would take to stretch and keeps a fairly accurate measure of distance. Even compared to manually calculating it on MapMyRun etc, it was only about 100m out on a 10k run, with plenty of sharp turns, which I dont think is too bad. However, what I have been disappointed with is that the face of the watch has started to steam up after about only 10 uses and continues to get worse. In addition, it is awkward to charge/connect to the laptop to upload data because the connection to the charger is rarely recognised. It is not particularly surprising since the contacts are exposed to the top of the wrist and in the most likely place to be exposed to sweat, which will probably corrode them!

All in all, this would be a brilliant buy if it was made properly. Not enough foresight has gone into the design of the watch.
on 18 November 2010
My Garmin 305 did everything I needed (plus plenty more that I never used) but eventually after many years of service, and too many rainy runs, it died. It was quite large on my average woman's wrist and as I did not use all of the functions the new Garmin 110 seemed like the perfect solution.
I have now been using the Garmin 110 for about a month and there are aspects I like, but several that I do not!
It looks fine. It is very easy to use. It locates satellites fairly quickly (noticably more quickly than my 305).
BUT it does not display actual speed/pace whilst running! Why not? Why would anyone prefer to look at average speed/pace? You can set it to auto lap and use very short laps so that the avarage is close to your actual but that causes probelms dowloading the run to Sporttracks as this then sees each lap as a separate run!
Downloading to Sporttracks directly also seems not to be possible so I use Garmin Training Centre and can then export runs from there to Sporttracks.
Also it has frozen on me twice now, on each occasion as I connected to my PC. Re-setting the watch as directed is supposed not to cause you to lose data, but it does! All of your stored runs and all of your entered personal data and setting preferences! The connecting device is also slightly fiddly.
Finally I was caught out at the start of my first race using it as I got it set up to go in anticipation of the race (satellites found) but there was thena short delay before the race actually started and the watch went back to watch mode. I failed to notice this meaning I started the race fiddling with my watch to re-locate satellites etc!
88 comments183 of 203 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 August 2010
I bought the Garmin 110 because it was exactly what I was after - a GPS watch that didn't look like you were wearing a tank on your wrist and yet gave me what I wanted: Distance (plus that vital 'bleep' every KM), Time, Pace, Calories (less vital!) and an easy upload via usb (provided) to the Garmin Site. Fascinating looking at the run you just did and all the info linked to it.
I cannot fault it. I guess if you are a triathlete you'd want to investigate just how waterproof it is and for those that need the 'virtual partner' facility then this isn't for you. But for me, as I said, perfect.
0Comment31 of 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse