I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that everyone reading this already knows a good deal about the Lord of the Rings trilogy, so I won't discuss the quality of the movies in detail. Needless to say that there really is no competition between the theatrical and extended editions so far as the experience is concerned. The Extended Editions feel much more whole and complete and generally far more satisfying than the abridged theatrical version. Equal love and attention is put into the special features, which are immensely detailed and entertaining.

The main topic of debate over this release has been the quality of the video, the use of 2 discs per film, and the use of DVDs for special features as opposed to blu-ray discs.

VIDEO & AUDIO:

Fellowship - The discontent with the theatrical blu-ray for Fellowship is no secret, leading to the new transfer for this boxset. There have been videos showing the high green levels in the transfer, which has led many to write off buying this release. The bad news is that certain scenes do indeed look a little too green - weathertop and subsequent scene when Arwen arrives; Mines of Moria and a few others. There is also a higher level of orange than I remember in other scenes (i.e. Rivendell). The good news is that these are brief little bumps in the road for an otherwise brilliant video. The film finally looks high-definition with beautiful clarity and detail but without looking over digitised. It looks natural and impressive.

Two Towers & Return of the King - There is no major improvement in these films but one thing I did feel when watching the theatrical blu-rays was that the picture, though impressive, was flat somehow... although that may be my imagination. If it wasn't my imagination, then the issue has been addressed as the video seems to have more depth and warmth.

Audio - The unquestionable champion of this set is the audio quality. I had enormous expectations for Howard Shore's soundtrack, which has left me in tears on numerous occasions, and was not left disappointed (or dry eyed). The audio is incredibly detailed and dynamic. You can literally hear the brush of the leaves and trickle of water, along with the perfect soundtrack and crystal clear dialogue. Multi-layered sound effects are used appropriately and never overstated - they will highly reward any good surround system. Every aspect of the audio track is a great success, especially the dialogue, which I had always found difficult to understand in particular scenes but could understand perfectly here. I thoroughly enjoyed every minute spent with each of these terrific soundtracks.

2 DISCS PER FILM:

This issue never really bothered me, although I've always disliked the way in which the split was handled. It's not too bad for Fellowship, with disc 1 ending on the founding of the Fellowship of the Ring - a perfect mid-point. However, both Two Towers and Return of the King cut-offs are sudden and inappropriate, killing the mood and tension slightly. Unfortunately, this hasn't been fixed for this release, which is a shame but not lethal.

SPECIAL FEATURES DVDS:

Again, this is not something which really bothers me. Whilst it would be nice to have a complete set of blu-ray discs and enjoy the special features in high-definition, there is nothing which really suffers from being on a DVD. Considering the time and money that would have to be put into the transfers, I think it is best that they have been left on DVDs.

WHY FOUR STARS??:

Considering I have had nothing but praise for this set, you might wonder why I have only given it four stars. The reason is simple - the US release of this boxset was virtually identical, except that it also included digital copies of the films whereas ours does not. However, both sets are a similar price, or ours is a good £15-20 more expensive if you compare Amazon's prices. While this may have been acceptable before digital copies really came over to the UK, it is now commonplace for the more premium Blu-Ray releases to include digital copies of the film and, for the price tag, we should have been given the same treatment as our American counterparts.

CONCLUSION:

General opinion is that this boxset is still holding back a little and the full deal will be released in the next couple of years to support the release of The Hobbit movies. I obviously cannot predict whether or not that will happen but feel that, for now at least, this boxset is the best we are going to get and it is certainly 100% better than the theatrical blu-ray set. If you loved the extended editions, or haven't had the chance to see them yet, then this set shows them in all their audio-visual glory and should not be dismissed as a half-effort (lack of digital copies aside).
3333 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 22 August 2007
As soon as you receive your extended-edition box set from Amazon, I suggest you check that the second disc of Return of the King plays correctly. Mine is labelled "Part 2" but actually contains the German version of the Appendices Part 6 disc. I imagine someone messed up the duplication as others have reported this problem but so far not on Amazon.co.uk.

I hope this advice helps prevent the disbelief and disappointment that I have just experienced.

POSTSCRIPT: Both Amazon and the UK distributors responded quickly and courteously to solve this for me, so no complaints there.
2323 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Basically amazing. You get an extra 2 hours or so of extra footage spliced into the main movies. This was a treat for me as i've loved this story since I was 12 years old. I purchased a deluxe set of the books after saving money via my paper round back in 1968 and still read them every so often.

The extra content doesn't add any of the missing bits like Fog on the Barrow Downs, Tom Bombadil , Fairwell to Lorien, the Great River and many other chapters such as the last few chapters where Sauruman has taken over the Shire using the power of his voice, but it does flesh out other areas that were almost skipped over.

When I watched the revitalized movies for the first time I was so pleased to see the extra content. It was like watching a new version of the movies. :)
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I bought the original two disc version of The Fellowship of the Ring and was both miffed when the extended version came out, and disappointed at the paltry extras. I resolved to wait until this version, the complete extended version, came out before buying any more. So I've been waiting nearly two years but, boy, was it worth the wait.
There's not much I can add about the films; the extended versions are incredible, SO much better than the original versions, and stunning on a good TV/surround system. The films are so moving that I've found myself moved to tears at times by the sheer power and beauty of them, and I'm not usually prone to gushing over DVD's.
However I wanted to add that the two discs of extras with each film are equally stunning. They manage to be different for each film, and I've watched, transfixed as they take you through the incredible scale of the productions and the sheer love and craftsmanship that went into making these films.
Really, forty-five quid for these 12 DVD's represents incredible (yes I know I've used that word about 5 times) value, you really will want to watch all of them. Buy it now!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 28 June 2011
Having been alarmed by a few claims that the Fellowship of the Ring was looking a bit green-tinged I watched the whole thing as soon as the pack arrived. Honestly can't see what all the fuss is about - this film looks even more gorgeous than it did on the the extended DVDs (I resisted the temptation to buy the theatrical blu-rays). I was fearing a sickly green hue over everything (including the snow !) but the whole thing looks fantastic to me.

A fitting - and hopefully definitive - release for a true cinematic classic.
1414 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 26 June 2010
Brilliant trilogy, extra scenes are good. The extra scenes are woven quite well into the original, with the score recomposed, so as to make them undetectable (in theory at least. I noticed at least twice when the film switched from original to additional inserted scenes).

Only problem is that the DVD stalls about once per disc for about 5-10 seconds. I've not noticed it be as bad as this before, but it's only a few seconds. On one occasion my screen showed lots of saturated noise for about a second. It's worth noting that the DVD player I used to watch these was old and cheap, and that may or may not have had something to do with those issues.

Also each film is split into two discs, plus two bonus discs per film (12 total). So you have to get up and change the disc half way through like an old VCD... But it's not that bad really.

All in all, the films (plus extra scenes) are beyond good enough to make it worthwhile changing the discs over.
on 24 October 2009
I've been a fan of the LOTR for many years and have read the book numerous times. The cinema films of the story were excellent when they first came out and I watched the VHS casettes many times, always enjoying them.
I found this extended version of the films as it was featured on Amazon as a recommended buy. I have to say that this is what the cinema films should have been and I can't believe how much more entertaining these DVDs are considering how good the originals were.
Overall the DVDs add more than 2 hours more film and it brings the whole story together with much more backround. Have you ever wondered how Aragorn, legolas and Gimli get on the Corsairs ships and what happened to the Corsairs? Well you'll find out this and so much more.

For a fan this really is a must have and the extra DVDs covering the filming and creation of Middle earth are fasinating in themselves.

Highly recommended
VINE VOICEon 1 April 2010
Lord of the Rings needs no hype, it is the most incredible set of films so far devised. The story that launched the Epic Fantasy genre tracking the efforts of a small band of mostly really quite small heroes striving to rid their world of a dreadful evil is well enough known to all. It is a tremendous feat of cinema to have been able to put this huge story together over the 3 films and the extended version is the one that everyone needs to see.

For theatrical release LotR was ground breakingly long. For years we have been told that we do not have the patience to watch films that go beyond 120 minutes. Fortunately Peter Jackson ignored that mantra and went for long and epic. The extended versions are simply better than the theatrical release because they add in so many scenes that make the overall arc fit together much more effectively. Of most benefits are all the characters other than Sam and Frodo. What made LotR such a great story originally was that it encompassed a range of different characters and did not just limit itself to the current vogue of one superhero and a supporting cast. The additions for instance make characters like Eowyn and Faramir much more understandable, they provide an ending for Saruman, and the excitement of the battle scenes is significantly deepened.

With any film of this scope there are some quibbles. The overly long multiple endings that featured in the theatrical release are still too much. The exclusion of some parts of the original narrative still occurs - notably the ending being very different to the book. Personally, I very much missed the Barrow Wight and not for any plotline reasons but for the context of setting the environment. Jackson is a New Zealander so how much he knows of pre-Roman Britain is difficult to tell but the loss of that encounter is a loss to the location Tokien designed the myth to be a part of. However, some directing decisions are very good such as cutting Tom Bombadil who is a remarkably boring character in the book. It would have been nice though to have shown more respect to the Dwarfs and less to the Elfs. Dwarf culture is only positively reinforced once at the sheer size of Moria and they are the butt of most of the jokes while the Elfs are a perfection that not even Tolkien's overly virtued creation reached.

The casting is brilliant. In particular Viggo Mortensen as Aragorn imbues the character with the perfect balance of rugged manliness and a stoic acceptance of his role in life. Ian McKellan as Gandalf would be a perfect grandfather. Christoper Lee's Saruman is most impressive for his own personal affection which shines through in the extras. Dominic Monaghan isn't great as Merry unlike the rest of the Hobbits who are all pitch perfect despite Billy Boyd's Scottish accent (a setting problem given the Englishness of the Shire, the Celtic speech of the Elfs, and the overlty Norse-German Rohirrim) which stands him apart from the rest of the cast. Hugo Weaving appears to only have one emotion and having displayed it in The Matrix it was hard to take him seriously as Elrond but that's only a small character anyway. Cate Blanchett as Galadriel is utterly resplendent and is the most impressive visual presence the film offers. Liv Tyler's Arwen was a distraction and nice as she may be I can't believe anyone would have chosen her weak character over the magnificent Eowyn played by Miranda Otto.

For all that this is the most impressive set of films that has been composed, the greatness of this box set is in the extras. There has never been anything like this on dvd - the usual cast, director, and executives talking heads appear but the 6 discs of extras are a gripping story in themselves. Getting to know Viggo Mortensen's relationship with the stunt team is great, hearing Peter Jackson talk about the editing process is amusing but the technical work that went into this film is presented magnificently.

Some of the credit for the greatness of LotR is due to the technical bods who worked for years to make it happen. The Weta Workshop people who made all those weapons, prosthetics, costumes etc did as good a job as any film has achieved so far. Their story is great and the joy that springs from recreating the equipment of a bygone era is evident. That they were able to generate different cultures visually is presumably not lost on most viewers but it is still terrific to see how it happened. The set designs and miniatures should have been preserved and it was a little disheartening to see buildings being demolished and pieces of equipment being destroyed - a LotR museum should have had them. The contribution of artist Alan Lee was impressive. I happened to have some reproduced artwork of his as a child and the scenes created in the film are close to exact replicas.

The Weta Digital story is amusing - their being rushed to create effects that most films would not dream of looks good fun from the outside though I imagine the discussions with Producer Barry Osborne were very difficult. The Digital effects are generally awesome and the Massive programme they devissed is a stroke of genious. Some effects are frankly a little ropey but having seen cinema audiences cheer the clearly digitised Legolas swinging off an elephant the fact that not every effect was melded with the live action probably doesn't matter for a general audience.

Musically this is stunning. Music and sound are crucial to any action film and the composition for LotR is in my opinion the greatest orchestral suite since Gustav Holst's The Planets and possibly beyond that. The characters singing in the films works beautifully and makes a lot of sense in building the right links with an era of heroism. The beautiful tone of Cate Blanchett in narrating the opening sets such a high standard of sound that it will be impressive when next that standard is reached.

Overall it is a big package and takes a long time to get through it all but every bit of it is worth the time taken on the journey. Lord of the Rings is the greatest film set and with the extras this is a dvd box set standard that may represent the pinnacle of what the format ever achieves as distribution transitions on to blueray.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Firstly - the extended films are a must for any avid LOTR fan. I can't recommend them highly enough.

Second - The films may be spread out over 2 discs, but this really isn't that big a deal, and the quality more than makes up for this(bear in mind the dvds are also split over 2 discs). With the blu ray is is possible to see the creases cracks and imperfections on the maps and faces in the films, and the cgi is glorious. It is also quite good if you don't have 4 hours to sit down and watch one of the films in its entirety.

Thirdly - The packaging is great. Glossy, made to look like a book, perfect.

Finally - over 26 hours of bonus material - 3 extra discs to accompany each film. This is going to keep me busy and entertained for a long time.

I would say if you have been stalling over buying this, just do it. I know I was, but I am really happy with the decision to go ahead and buy it. Recommended
on 19 February 2013
This interpretation of Tolkein's books is superb.
Having read The Lord of the Rings Trilogy several times over quite a number of years, I was more than delighted when this DVD box set became available. My young daughter, in her innocence, bought me the set from a 'lookee, lookee' man on the beach front whilst on holiday in Spain. The original English dialogue was muted and there were subtitles in English and Chinese. The sound was woolly, the translation was excruciating and bore no resemblance to the original.

So when this DVD Box Set came to my attention I purchased it immediately and have not regretted it.
The computer graphics are, with no pun intended, out of this world. The sound quality was excellent and the sound effects and graphics all draw the viewer into the story, so that young or old, all become totally absorbed.

I would have no hesitation in recommending this DVD to everyone, except the very young who may be of a nervous disposition, where a little parental guidance may be necessary.

Overall: Absolutely brilliant.