Format: MP3 DownloadChange
Price:£3.49

on 25 October 2001
Ok - so this isn't going to sell as many as Eva Cassidy (but then again, it hasn't been sponsored by BBC Radio 2) - however, it is still an absolute gem from a treasure trove of music greats. There are so many strong tracks (San Andreas Fault, Wonder, Carnival) with San Andreas Fault worthy of epic status, combined with wistful and solemn ones (I May Know The Word, River) that it is an album that deserves to be played again and again. The track that stands out for me is Where I Go, a subtle, quiet epiphany -"well I go to the river / to soothe my mind / ponder over / the crazy days of my life / just sit and watch the river flow" - that will resonate in your mind for a long while after. I can't say anything better than go out and buy this album. Then tune in, lie back and chill out.
0Comment24 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 November 2001
Saw her on MTv about 2 years ago, and forgot to buy the "Tigerlily" CD until about 6 months ago - still can't stop playing it. Every song is magical. "Wonder" was the single but "Carnival" should have been the follow-up. "I may know the word", is one of those songs you just never tire of listening to. Soulful, blues, rock, folk, it's all there and more - when will she get the recognition she deserves. Buy this CD now and you won't regret it.
on 3 June 2007
I am a huge 10,000 Maniac fan, love Natalie Merchant and the rest, but seriously Tigerlily just rocks my world every day. There is nothing on the CD that i do not enjoy. I take it out of my player in my car, and before the week ends, its back in. Her song writting is marvelous, and so spiritually moving. I keep IN MY TRIBE in my player as well. I have absolutly everything she has done as well as MANIACS. I also would love to hear a new piece of work from her such as a NORA JONES. I would enjoy hearing her and Beth Orton together as well. TIGERLILY is simply great!!
on 18 October 2001
I have had this album for a couple of years, and still play it lots. Every track is well crafted and full of emotion, from the up tempo Wonder to the have-a-tissue-near Beloved Wife. Buy it!
If you liked the music of 10,000 maniacs then you'll love this CD. This is Natalie Merchant at her very best.
on 14 August 2003
There is not one song on this CD that I do not like. I love it; I never get tired of it. Natalie's distinctive, unmistakable voice really takes you somewhere here. My favourite would probably be "Beloved Wife", but I also love "River", a heartfelt tribute to actor River Phoenix.
There is not one fault on this album that I can think of - buy it!!!
on 26 April 2007
This is my favourite album of Natalie Merchants and I play it almost too much - even my neighbours know all the lyrics. The song Beloved Wife is beautiful but my favourite track is I May Know The Word. Cant recommend this album enough whether you are a 10,000 Maniacs fan or new to Natalies superb voice.
on 23 January 2004
As with the recorded work and live performances with her former band “10,000 Maniacs”, “Natalie Merchant” is the boss, on this her first solo venture since leaving said band, not only is she the main writer of the lyrics but she has written all the music as well, she also plays the piano, organ, and vibraphone.
The album itself was recorded between the months of December 1994 and March 1995 for the quality of the songs and musicianship quite a formidable task.
As this set of songs opens with the track “San Andreas Fault” with the tones of “Ms Merchant’s” voice heard to introduce the albums start, the material has a familiar feel to it, this is to be expected if you own of her former bands albums.
Don’t get me wrong there is nothing wrong with this, this feeling of I’ve heard this before soon disappears as the following track “Wonder” begins with it’s slightly funky feel, this track along with “Carnival” gave “Ms Merchant” minor hits in the single market.The song that sounds most like a "10,000 maniacs" track is "Jealousy" in my humble opinon.
As an album this collection of 11 tracks established “Natalie Merchant” as performer in her own right, with well-crafted songs and with excellent playing by all the musicians involved this is an album that you will play again and again in the coming years…
on 17 February 2013
I've just put this on, 17 years since recorded and bought, and maybe four since I last played it. It is timeless, and it reaches into your soul. Fantastic.
on 8 July 2011
I'm a big fan of female vocalists and Natalies first solo effort does not disappoint. I only have the run-of-the-mill CD version but it sounds superb. The production is very good, not too bombastic as you find with many modern albums. It breathes really well. The songwriting is beautiful - take a listen to San Andreas Fault, Beloved Wife (keep the hankies near), River or Carnival and be enchanted at her lyrics. The band also live up to the production displaying expert playing skills as well as a subtle understanding of where Natalie's trying to take them. No disrespect to the band though but this is all about the vocals and it absolutely shines. Natalie's voice is lush perfection. There's a hard edge when it's required but subtle most of the time. I'd put this right up with my all-time favourite albums from female vocalists. That means Famous Blue Raincoat (Jenny Sings Lenny) by Jennifer Warnes, All The Roadrunning by Mark Knopfler & Emmylou Harris, Youth Novels by Lykke Li and even Patricia Barber (on Seven Years). To not buy this would be a crime.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse