Format: Audio CD|Change

on 18 July 2014
A rewarding mix of music and performers, I have not stopped playing it since I bought this album. A unique interpretation, played on instruments that bring a vitality and originality to the tracks.
I want more, I will and have collect further recordings already.
on 29 April 2010
Buyers of Teatro d'Amore are unlikely to be disappointed by this. L'Arpeggiata are as controlled as ever, and retain the magnificent cornett player, Doran Sherwin. One or two tracks are quite jazzy - but that's what many found so intriguing about the earlier disk.
on 1 October 2010
This is a meditative CD for early spring evenings, when the promise of spring is in the air but not quite yet. The old instruments put you in the mood for reflection. I found the style quite distinctive. It reminded me of something else but I couldn't tell what. The male voices of Barbara Furtuna are robust and plaintive at the same time. The Corsican four-man band sings with emotion about the suffering of Christ in Holy Week. It is simple but effective, no surplus of instruments. Quite a treat for who can appreciate it.
on 17 April 2010
I saw this group playing on Mezzo TV and didn't realise it was a plug for their new CD. But I was mesmerised by watching Barbara Furtuna (the chorus) singing the track "Maria" and after a couple of hearings (Mezzo can be quite repetitive) I found I couldn't get it out of my head. Sends shivers down your spine. And then I realised that Philippe Jaroussky was on the CD as well, so I had to get the whole thing. Fantastic modern sounding baroque music.
on 12 April 2010
My first contact with L'Arpeggiata was with their 'Tarantella' CD. Others followed until I bought the Monteverdi CD, which although well produced, wasn't exactly to my taste. However, this man Jaroussky just gets better and better. I have a couple of clips of him singing Giulio Cesare with Cecilia Bartoli, and I think he was chosen to sing with her because he is now world class. This Cd is about Easter and was released just in time for me to begin listening to it on Good Friday this year. This is a wonderful CD and I listened to it throughout, something I didn't do with the Monteverdi. Well done that group, but why do they never come to England?
on 18 July 2014
Exemplary playing from the L'arpeggiata ensemble and fine singing in this reverent exploration of the Easter tradition. The robust harmonies of Barbara Furtuna are a joy.
on 22 April 2014
I was alerted to this recording by an airing of Merula's 'Hor ch’e tempo di dormire' on BBC Radio 3. I have not been disappointed. The musicianship is superb, the interpretations of the Early Music are compelling, and the recording is crystal clear. I cannot recommend it too highly.
on 2 July 2010
Great performers, heartfelt performances.
All musicians are outstanding, the soprano and counter-tenor superbly matched. The pieces with Fulvio Bettini and Vincenzo Capezzuto with a sound of non- "groomed" classical singers are very refreshing!
Superb CD!
on 25 November 2012
The perfect music for quiet contemplation. Food for the soul. Beautiful voices. Gorgeous orchestral sound. The theme is Easter. Something to listen to time and time again.
on 9 May 2016
Listen and decide for yourself. Christina Pluhar is brilliant, so I had no doubt about it.