1,080
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 26 July 2001
Excellent book. I enjoy all the Lee Child books especially the Jack Reacher novels. BUT don't get caught out like we did,this book is the American version of The Visitor.
11 comment| 115 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 July 2007
This is , as usual, an excellent thriller by Lee Child. But be aware that it is the same novel as The Visitor under a different title for the US market.
33 comments| 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 January 2001
Having read and enjoyed the first three books of Lee Child (Die Trying being my all time favourite), I eagerly anticipated The Visitor despite my earlier confusion of the same book titled Running Blind in the United States. The story leaps off to a 'pounding' start with Reacher's usual vigilante approach and quickly progresses to a web of blackmail, threat and deceit. The unscrupulous manipulations of the FBI in getting what they want is well depicted if not sometimes worrying and Reacher's ability to turn the tables around was very cleverly written. The killer, also known as The Visitor was also well portrayed with a feast of clues strewn here and there on its identity adding a clever twist at the end. Child's description of events is pretty thorough and realistic. It almost feels like you're Jack Reacher's shadow! Once again, here's a book that's screaming out for a movie to be made. This book was aptly named The Visitor and is an exceedingly fast paced, thrilling and entertaining book and Lee Child has once again surpassed himself.
on 4 December 2002
Lee Child has created a masterpice with this book.
Ex-Military Policeman Jack Reacher is arrested by the FBI for a murder he didn't commit. When he finally proves his innocence, the FBI recruit him to try and catch the real killer. So begins a complicated web of events involving the military, the FBI and the Mafia that leaves everyone (including the reader) amazed once the facts are revealed.
I picked up this book completely by accident, it was a freebie given to me by some at the branch of Waterston's that I currently work for. At first glance I took it to be one of those trashy novels that I usually throw on a shelf and ignore. However after only reading a few pages I was totally hooked. This is the first Lee Child book that i've ever read but i've already started looking for more. The book is superb, its not only a "who-dunnit" but it's also a "how-dunnit". Child leaves you with only very sketchy details as to who is committing the multiple murders and also how they are committing them. Even better is the use of red-herrings to attempt to throw you off the scent. I'm usually fairly quick at picking up key details but in this case I was left almost totally in the dark until very nearly the last page. Unlike some other books, the plot never becomes far-fetched or unlikly to happen in real life. Child keeps a firm and steady grip on his characters, never loosing sight of where they are and what they are capable of.
All in all, well worth a read. I'd reccomend it for fans of Lee Child and new readers as well.
33 comments| 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 April 2006
i came accross this book by chance and I have no regret about buying it. Evene though the plot starts a little slow at first, it is thoroughly enjoyable and I found it really hard to put the book down. i actually had to get up at in the morning to finish the last 150 pages: I just had to know! I found it very easy to warm to Jack Reacher's enigmatic personality and character in this thriller book and despite his selfish personnality you can not help but admiring him for his thirst for justice. i am now working my way through all the Jack reacher novels and i love each and everyone of them.
I strongly recommend any of Lee Child's book.
on 12 March 2006
Not a new book at all - beware previously published by Lee Child as The Visitor. This is stated in the reviews book description but I didn't notice! This almost amounts to fraud on the part of book companies putting books out under two different names! But having said that the book is a very good read the first time around.
on 10 May 2008
Pacy, lots of action, keeps you turning the pages, but...
The answer is obvious about half-way through and the misdirections are a little clumsy.
The murderer's method takes a lot of suspended disbelief; it reminded me of a Wilkie Collins device.
There are too many instances where Reacher knows but the reader doesn't. It stops you feeling as though you are on the same journey as him. (He also starts coming across as a little smug.)
Lee Child is something of a master, but this is not his masterpiece.
on 1 October 2003
I was very impressed with 'The Visitor' but regret not knowing that Lee Child had written 3 books before this one. I have now bought all of his books (7) and I am on the 6th one now. I am unable to put his books down as I need to know the ending to them as quickly as possible. I always think I know what the ending will be but then he comes up with a GREAT ending and always one that you never thought about. I have pre-ordered his latest book and know that I will enjoy this as much as all the others. I have enjoyed many books in the past but I can honestly say these are the best. I hope Lee Child writes many more of his Jack Reacher Novels. They are definately a must for thriller fans.
on 17 July 2007
I'd never been much of a reader until getting a paperback book for my daughter with a voucher and found myself reading it as I put the shopping away and was amazed to discover I was up to page 11 before I'd realized it. Thus began my love affair with books.

The first REAL book I bought for me to read was The Visitor by Lee Child and this fuelled my desire for thrillers.

So-o-o-o-o-o-o well written and the plot had me almost pulling my hair out trying to fathom out 'who'd dun it', right up until the answer was before me on the page towards the very end of the book.

I'd even asked my husband how he thought these women could be being murdered as he knows a fair bit about forensics but nope...he didn't get it either!

Literally could NOT put this book down and thank heavens that most women are multi-skilled or the spaghetti Bolognese could've been a disaster! Stirring the sauce with one hand while the other held The Visitor. Made for eating it a bit tricky though as Spag Bol is defo a two handed job but....my dear liccle book was open right beside my plate so I could read as I ate.

I not only passed my copy on to another family member, who then passed it on to another...then another....and so on, but I have also recommended it to l-o-a-d-s of other avid readers too and they've all agreed how unputdownable this book really is.

Love the Jack Reacher character and feel as if I know him so well now. He's like a pair of old comfy slippers. You see him mentioned on the back cover of a book and just know it's going to be good!

I've since read every single book that Lee Child has written and while I've enjoyed them all, I think that The Visitor has to remain as my all time Lee Child favourite.
on 16 November 2014
Absolutely brilliant....if I could have given it 10 stars I would have, that's how good it really is. Mr Child just gets better and better with each book and I fall in love with Reacher just a little bit more every time!

The theme in this book covers sexual harassment in the US military when women were first allowed to enlist and makes for some uncomfortable reading in parts. Although just a story I am in no doubt whatsoever that some of the scenes described in this book actually have taken place along with others similar to it across the world in the military of every other country as well. It was a typical response in days gone by which is shocking in it's self that it was so cleverly covered up and ignored. Hopefully things have changed since then and things are better for our serving ladies although in some instances that is still not true. How sad that some men still think with what's between their legs instead of what's upstairs (in deed, even if they have an upstairs to begin with)!

However the book is brilliantly written and executed to a very fine art and I highly commend Mr Child on this achievement. It takes a very special writer to be able to manage and maintain the momentum in every book there-after using the same protagonist time after time and keeping it fresh and interesting.

Highly recommended in the first degree, thank you Lee