3.8 out of 5 stars1,444

on 9 May 2011
I've owned this kettle for 1 year and it has started to leak water from the level indicator onto the counter where the kettle is placed. Over the past week the leak has got worse so I have had to stop using the kettle. It's really ridiculous that a kettle should be designed in such a way that it can leak water onto the counter which it is placed. Not good enough.
1010 comments73 of 73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 June 2011
I had this kettle as a wedding present in addition to the toaster. It does the job - boils water! It's quite heavy which isn't a problem for me but might be for some.

But after 6 months it stopped working. I had a new one from Morphy Richards and excellent customer service so that isn't my problem with the kettle.

My complaint is after around a year, the stainless steel parts look terrible, patchy with bits of rust here and there. Also the plastic by water guage/under the water guage has warped and looks awful too. I'm ashamed to have it in my kitchen now - it's predecessor from the tesco value range still looked like new after 5 years but this, which cost £[..] and was a wedding present, looks awful! I wouldn't recommend or buy again. The toaster is in the same state too!
11 comment53 of 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 February 2012
First the plus points: it looks funky, and it boils water. However, the major drawbacks are that it is a terrible pourer, often spluttering causing spills, and it is difficult to pour without scolding yourself. It is noisy. The filling guage is slow to register and difficult to read. I would not buy another. Delivery from Amazon, as ever, was excellent.
11 comment16 of 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 November 2010
Excellent kettle. Works well & doesn't leak - so far.
No sign of any bad tastes or other nasties.
22 comments19 of 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 August 2010
Absolutely love this kettle. It looks so fab, and boils really fast. The only down side is the water level indicator which makes it quite difficult to see the amount of water in the kettle. With reference to the review which said the water in their kettle had a plasticky taste; we've had no trouble whatsoever with ours.
0Comment31 of 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 November 2012
Morphy Richards 43139 kettle has a transparent plastic external water level indicator. This plastic indicator is easly fitted or removed as it slots in the side of the kettle with two heat-resistive rubber grommets.
The part is made of two plastic halves sealed toghether leaving a hollow which fills with water, indicating the water level. The gauge is probably the cheapest part of this 50 UK pound kettle. If it springs a leak the kettle becomes useless as a the water goes everywhere.
Our advice: don't by this product on acccount that a vulnerable external part can easely be damaged. It could be easely replaced but will not be provided as a spare by the manufacturer.
on 25 February 2012
My husband bought this kettle about 6 months ago. I agree with other reviewers who have commented that it is noisy when boiling and it has also not lasted well at all. The colour has come off in various places and a lot of lime scale has collected along the water level indicator which suggests to me that there is some sort of problem with the seal in this area. Over the past few days, the electricity has been tripping every time we fill the kettle up and and boil it. I cannot recommend this product in any way.
on 23 August 2010
I have never reviewed anything in this way before but having spent a lot of money on appalling kettles in recent times and a few hours of my life researching before this purchase I wanted to share the fact that this is the best kettle I have ever owned. It is easy to fill, boils quickly, low maintainance and looks gorgeous. What more do you want? I am astounded there are so few well reviewed products out there, and a bit confused by the poor reviews for the Morphy Richard Retro Kettle that looks identical to this one in the pictures....but this one is fantastic.
11 comment31 of 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This kettle is inspired by the Alessi kettle of the 1980s and hints of Art Deco. The translucent metallic red is wonderful and brightens up the kitchen during bleary eyed breakfasts. It is filled through the spout and it pours without dribbles spoiling the immaculate finish. The only down point is the noise it creates as it is coming to the boil; it's quite loud and sounds as though it's heating up when empty! It's collected a small amount of limescale around the lid that was easily removed with lemon juice. The finish is lasting well although there has been a slight colour change on the side of the kettle that faces the window where it sits in the early morning sun (so what sun was that in the summer of 2012?)
0Comment27 of 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 March 2011
To some a kettle is just a kettle but to those of us who love a good brew up, a kettle is an important part of the kit. This Morphy Richards Kettle is one fine piece of engineering as it has a sturdy base, big chunky handle that is very hard to drop with a non-slip feel, good pouring spout so there's little drippage, and a clear water gauge to show the level of water you've put in complete with minimum and maximum levels. Added to that is the sleek blue design, strong flick on switch (which has automatic cut off when boiled) and clear red 'on' light at the base to show it's started heating. Heating itself is quick and efficient and it produces hot, steamy water that seems to make all beverages taste better. Not only do I love my kettle and find tea a pleasure not a chore now, but two other friends have commented on it, one of which got one for Christmas!! And they love it too now. If you want to upgrade your tea or coffee making experience then this is the kettle for you.
0Comment26 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse