4.7 out of 5 stars1,342
Format: DVDChange

on 2 April 2011
I have seen quite a lot of reviews from people who have seen it in the States before it came out over here and thought it was a 'must have' film to get on DVD. I really enjoyed watching it but found Steve Carell's accent for the voiceover slightly irritating and annoying. For me, the film would've been better with a different voiceover. The animation was brilliant as expected and the three little girls gave the film the 'awwww' factor, especially little Agnes with her love for Unicorns. But I think the 'star' of Despicable Me has got to be the Minions which were brilliant and extremely funny down from the voice and all the crazy things they were getting themselves into trouble with. All in all a very 'viewable' experience and I don't regret buying it, but I still prefer 'Ratatouille [DVD] [2007]' and WALL-E (2 Disc Special Edition) [DVD] [2008], just for the atmosphere, which 'Despicable Me' was somehow lacking.
on 12 March 2011
I'm 20 years old and realised this film was probably targeted at children/families.
However, it stars Steve Carell - who happens to be one of my favourite actors - as well as Russell Brand (who has a small part), who I follow through his works. I am also a big kid at heart.

The voice acting is really well done by Carell and, of course, this is a beautifully animated film. I watched this on Bluray and the colours and sharpness are excellently presented. I imagine it looks great in 3D and you can make out where they'd implement it.
The plot, in short, is led by the main character Gru (Steve Carell) wanting to take over the world and be known as the biggest criminal and bad-guy there ever was. Simple enough. However, when the pyramids in Egypt are stolen he realises he is not the only one with this intent. He gathers his minions (the little green things) and formulates a plan to steal the moon... as you do. Without giving much away (and let's be honest you could read the plot in the DVD details if that's what you wanted) Gru has to adopt three orphans in order to get his hands on a secret weapon to assist his plan.

He ends up becoming distracted as a father-figure and has to decide what's really important to him. I won't ruin the ending. This film is absolutely worth watching and I'm sure kids will adore it.
on 31 December 2010
We thought it was one of the best kids movies we'd seen for ages

We came out of the movie with big grins on our faces

We loved the minions so much we spent ages trying to find toy ones for Xmas pressies, but failed

We are most dejected that we have to wait until 21st Feb for the DVD

We are now counting the days . . . . . . .
on 28 February 2011
Bought this for my daughter as we missed it when it was out at the cinema.
We watched it on Friday night and I had tears rolling down my cheeks. This is a brilliant film.
To reiterate another review Russell Brand is annoying (as ever) but the humour from Gru and especially the minions more than makes up for that.
Highly watchable and thoroughly enjoyable film for all ages.
p.s. does anyone else think Gru and Avram Grant were separated at birth?
on 15 March 2011
At last, a really great animation that's not by Pixar! Really beautifully rendered and animated. Some nice funny moments with the 'minions'. Also, I really like the way they put a normal blu-ray in with the 3D blu-ray. The ideal solution.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 12 January 2011
I loved this movie and my 10 y.o. daughter loved it even more. It is so good, that I hardly know where to begin - so I tried to put the whole review in four points, mentioned in the title:

1. Hilarity - IT IS HILARIOUS! REALLY! There is hardly any 15 seconds in this movie that would not contain a really good gag, children or/and adult oriented. Whoever wrote the scenario was a genius!

2. Despicability - the main character, Gru, is really a delight to watch: ugly, grumpy, mean, petty, vengeful, scheming, permanently aggravated and wholeheartedly devoted to the cause of evil - and in the same time incredibly insecure, convinced deep in his heart that he is a looser and haunted by the every day stronger feeling of the impending doom, for him and his evil army. I believe also that even his name is a kind of evil double entendre: it is obviously an abbreviation of "gruesome" but GRU was also, during the Cold War, the name of Soviet Army military intelligence, in charge particularly of assassinations abroad. In some James Bond movies GRU appeared under the name of Smertch. It gives a particular flavor to Gru, considering that his character is clearly inspired by some of the supervillains from James Bond franchise. His geriatric sidekick (and only friend - well, kind of) doctor Nefario and his murderous dog/rat/wolverine/skunk like pet (even after two viewings of this movie the jury is still out in my house on the question "what is this animal?") give also a great show!

3. Girl power - any parent of little girls (I have two) will fall immediately in love with Margo, Edith and Agnes, the three little orphaned sisters Gru adopts. He does it for his own evil reasons and does intend to treat them harshly and get rid of them as soon as they are no more needed - but of course ends by being completely taken under the sweet and soft but in the same time surprisingly totalitarian control little girls exercise over their fathers, adoptive or not...))) Agnes, the youngest of the three (she is barely out of the diapers) is particularly sweet - if only she was real I would adopt her on the spot and spoil her silly all the rest of my life. Tomboyish Edith is in principle the one who is the toughest and the boldest - but she was already hurt enough in her life to hide behind her pink hat which she refuses to take off even to sleep. Both her and the precociously adult (at least on surface of things) Margo are also a delight to watch. If you already are a parent of a little girl, you WILL LOVE this movie. And if you do not have yet a young daughter, get one!

4. But as far as the reasons to watch this movie go, even the girls must cede the first place to the minions! The incredibly devoted, fearless and highly professional and in the same time impossibly immature and conflicted "evil" army of Gru minions is THE greatest treasure of this movie. By looking at the cover of the DVD you can see some of them and frankly whoever conceived Gru minions was a world level genius. I do not want to provide spoilers, but believe me - they pack incredible fun! There is also at least one scene when their childlike devotion to their master almost made me cry - before another outburst of laughter (including a lot of giggling) in the cinema took over...

I purposefully omitted in this review many characters and did not hint at most of the gags and scenes, to avoid spoilers and keep things short.

To conclude, this is a TREASURE OF A MOVIE. A thing to buy, watch, keep and re-watch on regular basis. And I ABSOLUTELY HOPE FOR A SEQUEL!
1313 comments128 of 143 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 April 2011
This film is exactly what you need on a rainy day. Appeals to all ages and generates lots of laughs. Will definitely be watching it again in the near future!!
on 30 March 2011
Bought this for my 10 year old daughter as it was cheaper than in the shops. It's a great film and has been watched many times.....by all of us!
on 21 May 2011
Hello,my name is milena.I am 9 years old.This film is very good, and enjoyable.I would give it 4/5, because it might be to scary for younger children.But,if you tell them it's not scary,it should be fine.If you would like to buy this film,read the comments,and you will see that many people give it 4/5 or 5/5.I hope that when you buy it you will realy like it.Blu-ray is also very good, so you can buy it,if you want to have it, but in a better version!
11 comment26 of 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 February 2013
This was a huge surprise. As a supposedly mature grown-up, there was no reason for me to watch Despicable Me, let alone enjoy it, and yet I did watch it and found out there was every reason. This French-made and English-spoken animation is funny, sweet, imaginative, surreal, and touching without resorting to sentimentality.

At the centre of it all is a pitch-perfect vocal performance from Steve Carrell as Gru (spot the "Gru-ray Disc" visual gag at the end), a wannabe global villain who covets a shrink ray in the possession of his arch-nemesis Vector (Jason Segel). With it he intends to go into space and steal the Moon. That's the plot, but the real story is Gru's relationship with three orphans, whom he intends at first to exploit, but who will ultimately tap into his coal-black heart.

I like the dynamic between Gru and the orphans in that they don't so much inspire a magical change in each other as come to accept each other. The orphans, at a cruel and mischievous age themselves, learn to adore Gru's monstrous behaviour, and in return Gru comes to appreciate and respond to their neediness - a neediness that he himself possesses, locked deep inside. Gru is correcting the mistakes of his own loveless upbringing.

Of course, this is all fairly implicit. The winning Disney-Pixar formula demands tearshed and laughter in equal quantities; Illumination Entertainment's equation seems heavily weighted toward the latter. There are slapstick moments of Marx Brothers-like contrivance and timing, and silliness dominates. The scene where Dr. Nefario (Russell Brand) creates an army of "boogie robots" (after mishearing "cookie robots") is a keeper. And Gru's minions - homogenous yellow babblers seemingly designed with a squeezy toy in mind - are so entertaining that they've spawned their own spin-off movie, to be released later this year.

The film doesn't quite have the narrative or technical sophistication of Pixar's finest (for me, Monsters Inc. and Wall-E), but it is way more than a wannabe, and considerably funnier than the Ice Age or Madagascar sequels, franchises which are offering diminishing returns. Despicable Me has a humour and a warmth capable of melting through our iciest defences. I hope the sequel can match it.