Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Learn More Shop Fire Shop now Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

on 15 December 2011
Forget the above. This is an Islay malt and so it is peaty. It is the most distinctive of this distinctive group and possibly not for those who favor the lighter styles from elsewhere. It is the connoisseur's malt. It is not bitter if anything slightly sweet and in complexity and development of flavour it has no equal. It is not cheap but then the standard release is 16 years old. As with most other malts and cars the base model is the best value. This is the whisky God drinks.
on 17 August 2012
When people say a drop of the good stuff, this is what they are talking about. The aromatic smell of dark oak and berries with only a hint smoke so not to mask it's complexity.
When drinking the 1st sip is of bitter lemons with a hint of fudge. However let it slide down and think of that as the head!

The 2nd and subsequent sips are altogether different. The fudge and dark mellow flavours come through in abundance with no hint of the the bitterness of the 1st sip. And so it will go on like this till your session has ended. Each sip seems to increase the complexity. Once finished after a few minutes I was left with a clean almost green grass taste at the back of my palette fading to and almost vague and tantalising notes of sea air.

As this was from my wife for our anniversary I can only comment on the hard work she put into to finding me what is now in my top 3 which varies depending on my mood.

Whisky tasting in general is not to be rushed and in my humblest of opinions never judge a whisky by the 1st sip alone. Even after 20+ years of drinking it I like to think of it like getting into a hot bath. You know your going the go through the ouch stage but once immersed you just don't want to get out!

This one is definitely worth soaking in!!
on 10 July 2015
I strongly recommend Lagavulin to anyone with discerning taste; like what I got! A glass at breakfast makes those dull old cornflakes really come to life and if the weather is cold this amber necter will put a glow in your tummy which will shine through the gloom. Driving to work is much livelier with a dram under the bonnet and the working day is much more interesting; just remember to top up during the day, just to keep you up to speed. A bottle should last you a week especially if you are prudent, keep the Grouse for visitors and children; they can't tell the difference. My hair is thicker and eyes are brighter since I started on the necter at the ripe old age of fourteen, and fully expect to see twenty one before I go to heaven; if indeed I'm not already there. So; do yourself a favour and buy a bottle today; you'll never look back.
on 3 February 2015
I am by no means a whisky connoisseur , but I have tasted a fair few single malts and blended whiskeys and this one stands head and shoulders above everything else I have tried. It manages to be both smooth and have a rich, deep flavour at the same time. Without exception every other whiskey I have tried manages only one of these two qualities. Simply Amazing.
on 31 January 2016
It simply does not get better than this. If you like it smoky and peaty then this is the malt for you. Absolute Islay in a bottle! If you like Caol Ila, Bowmore, Ardbeg or if you enjoy Talikser from Skye then you cannot go wrong.
I have many friends how enjoy a wee dram and not one (as yet) has not fallen in love with it's charms. Do you research and get a bottle! Cheers
on 25 August 2014
This is a real whiskey taste. It's quite medicinal and if I were starting out, this would not be my first choice.

Despite the taste I described, it is smooth and I think it has a wonderful warm aroma.

I like it, but it's not going to be for everyone I feel.
on 1 January 2016
Definitely worth buying, tasted great, was my New Years Eve drink and I loved every drop.
Scotch obviously isn't for everybody and as Nick Offerman said, this whiskey "Will fuel your backhoe".
It is very strong but it is one of the best scotch whiskeys I have ever had.
on 9 January 2016
In my view this is the finest malt in the whole of Scotland, and I've tried just about all of them. Only problem is the price. Lagavulin is worth it, but the ticket price is higher than many rivals. Enter the Lightning Deal. Perfect.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 16 September 2014
This is by far my favourite malt whisky and is surpassed only by some of the special edition bottles produced under the same label. For those uninitiated in Islay malts, this is probably one that is best avoided as an introduction. No other malts packs the amount of flavour that Lagavulin carries. It is the child of its location with peat, smoke and sea being the predominant characteristics. I do not know if this is true, but I was once told that the island of Islay is higher in the north and slopes down to the south where this distillery is. Apparently this means that most drainage runs north to south, and the water used by the distillery has therefore been filtered through more peat than any other which is the reason that the peat flavours are so intense. Similarly, the location by the sea is the reason that the iodine rich flavours of seaweed are present in the finished product. At 43%, Lagavulin is higher in alcohol than most of the competition. For this reason, the addition of a single teaspoon of quality water really brings out the best in this whisky, somehow separating out the flavours, and bringing the sweetness to the front. A truly great malt.
on 10 June 2013
By 'affordable' I mean below £50 (as of June 2013).

The aroma is rich - very rich. You get massive smoke. Then iodine, spice, sherry and sweet toffee/vanilla. Simply sniffing it is worth the price.

Then there's the taste. It's thick and syrupy. There is smoke and sherry and dates and peat and oak and the richest of rich christmas cake. And more smoke.

The finish is long. It is spice and sweet vanilla and more fruit and smoke and is still there 20 minutes later.

The whisky mellows after a few months of the bottle being opened. In my opinion, this does not improve the whisky. It's best if the bottle is consumed in short order.