on 15 September 2010
Just got a few of these for customers at my gym. Being a personal trainer it's important to know the customers calorie burn and if they are working at the right intensity to improving their fitness. The FT7 breaks these 2 things down to 1 simple screen shot. All you do is input the users personal details just once then press start! You then strap on the chest belt and you can see on the unit a heart rate % that moves between 2 lines to show if your working in a zone to burn calories or to improve your fitness. After each session you can check the file and it gives you lot's of feed back. You can also by a flowlink to down load the files on to Polar software. Great simple product that looks cool all the time!
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 30 April 2012
I've been using the FT7 for a few weeks and am pleased with it. I've been using the Garmin Forerunner 305 for years and love it but it has a fatal flaw for indoor exercise classes- it doesn't record calories burned unless you are running around outside so it's a non-starter for Body Combat etc.

After looking around I went for the Polar FT7 HRM

Pros:
+Clear time indication (although day and date are a bit small and unclear)
+Easy one time setup eg, weight, and date of birth.
+One touch Start button to start recording your exercise
+One touch Finish button to stop recording your exercise.
+Waterproof (ok to swim and shower but don't press the buttons underwater!)
+Easy to use
+Records 99 exercise sessions and shows them in an easy to navigate graphical view. You can select a session and view duration, calories, max and ave heart rate among other stats.
+Shows calories burned over the last week.
+Shows pulse or % of maximum while exercising
+If you move the watch to the transmitter belt it temporarily shows the time
+Backlight button
+User replaceable battery on watch and transmitter keeps the cost down
+The transmitter clips onto the strap so is easily removed.
+Strap is easily washed - Garmin recommend that you rinse the belt after each use and put it in the washing machine every week.
+The watch is very light in weight.
+Alarm

Cons
- There's no timer function so you can't measure how long you've been exercising or if you are in a race, how long you'be been running for.
- It's a bit thick for a watch and not particularly attractive.

Hope that helps someone!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 15 November 2013
I had high expectations of this watch and heart rate monitor having read numerous reviews on how good it was. First, the watch itself looks and feel great when on the wrist. The functions are easy to navigate through and setting up your personal statistics is straightforward.

This watch would be better if it had a lap timer stop/start function like many other cheap sport watches on the market. Second, I'd like to comment on the chest strap and heart rate monitor. Very comfortable to wear and easily adjustable. It can also be machined washed which is refreshing after 5/6 workouts.

Unfortunately, every time I have used the heart rate function, 50% of the time I have lost signal. After attempting to re-wet the sensors and wait for the signal to return, I have on many occasions had to stop my workout and reset the function. This is very frustrating.

The display feature are aesthetically pleasing with the heart rate moving between the "fitness and fat burn" or you can alternate between % (which is my prefered preference).

Overall, this product has the potential to deliver a 5 star rating with the price relatively cheap, however, a few niggles of losing signal leaves it only getting 3 stars from me.
on 18 December 2011
This is the best Fitness product I have ever bought! I haven't written a review on Amazon in 4 years, but I feel compelled to tell people about this. The FT7 does everything I need and nothing more & for £64 is incredible value. The strap around my chest to measure and transmit my heart beat to the watch is comfortable, and when running you don't even notice it. I'm 32 and haven't done any running in 2 years so very unfit but not overweight! In the past I've always gotten on the treadmill and run for as long as possible then stopped, taken a rest and then do some weights! This bad, especially if you want to burn calories, which is what I want to do and the Polar FT7 has taught be this by using it. I want to burn calories and increase fitness so ideally I should be looking to keep my heart rate going between 75% - 90% of my maximum heart rate. Once you've put in your details, age, weight, height, it works out your max heart rate and it's down to me to keep within this range, it has an alarm which you can set to your desired level to tell you when to slow down. This means I can keep exercising for longer, burn more calories, get my energy levels up and at the same time not get tired so quickly because I'm never pushing my heart rate to the max. Excellent product, wish I'd known the detailed benefits of Polar a few years ago and I would have bought it in a heart beat!!!!!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I initially started looking at heart rate monitors because of the unreliable readings I was getting from the Technogym equipment I used at the gym. The beauty of this Polar one is the 'owncode' feature where the chest strap transmits directly to the machines I use seamlessly, I get on the bike and my heart rate is already displaying.
I picked the FT7 as it seemed a middle of the road choice, it does all I want it to and nothing more. The watch is easy to set up, input your height/weight/date of birth and it works out what your max heart rate should be and where the line is between fat burn and fitness. The chest strap is an ample size and there is plenty of slack despite me being a pretty big guy, it's easy to get on comfortably and I've never had any communication issues with it and the watch, it's also washable so I just stick it in with my gym stuff each time. When working out the functions on the watch track heart rate/calorie burn/workout time/which workout zone you are in (fitness/fat burn), and after each work out you can see totals and average/max heart rate. The watch saves these so you can look back at previous sessions and compare, you can buy a flowlink and connect up to a PC but that seems expensive for what it offers.

I have found this excellent so far, though I do have an observation on calorie counter. My gym system gives me a calorie count per exercise directly linked to the equipment I use so I expect this to be spot on, the watch figure is about double this. While I'd love to think I'm burning 900 calories each time I'm not too sure, maybe they're both wrong?!

Overall I really recommend this if you're looking for a heart rate monitor, I've found this a good motivational & educational tool and it helps me stay in 'the zone' at the gym.
on 13 January 2014
Hi, I really like this heart rate monitor, I am a triathlete and its waterproof which is essential. I bought one about 2 years ago and loved it but watch stopped working, I had battery replaced to no avail. I had lost details of my purchase although it was still within 2 year warranty, so I bought a new one and made sure I kept all receipts and packaging which I am glad I did. I had the second one since April 2013 (and sensor stopped working in December, the watch was reading a 00 heart rate) I sent an email to Amazon and they were amazing, they responded within hours, sent me a working replacement which I am really grateful for and also prepaid for the return item which I sent back. I'm hoping for 3rd time lucky with this one as I have paid for 2 and have one working in the same 2 year period but it works great when it works and I use it a lot for long durations. It does not have GPS which is ok for me and I don't want to turn you off buying, its a great product but I'm a little apprehensive so I suggest if you buy one keep your receipts for warranty but hopefully it will stay working. I am more amazed at the wonderful customer service Amazon provide, Thank you Amazon
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 15 December 2012
Love love love this watch!! It's so easy to use,took no time at all to get it going(comes with batteries).I ordered the Red with the Silver Stripe.It's a nice red colour and not a crazy bright red thank goodness as i think it would have looked real tacky otherwise!
It comes with a chest belt/strap and a little transmitter that you click on to the belt/strap with 2 pop press buttons (very easy).NO silly gels to use on the belt..hate that stuff so i'm really happy about that!
I'm chest size 32" and it fits nicely-you can adjust it too very simply if you want.It's a hook in style strap by the way,us ladies will be used to that hehee!
The screen is very easy to read.My partner also bought one in Black with Silver Stripe and just to let you know,the strap and face is bigger on the Black one compared to the Red one i have.He's over the moon with his watch too!
I'm sure there are better ones out there but one of the best USA gym PT trainers i know uses it and recommended it to me and said best to buy from Amazon,so we did and i'm soooo grateful to her and Amazon for this wicked buy-fantastic price and service:))
on 17 July 2013
Never bought a sports watch before but have scored gold with this one.

1. The sensor is comfortable and works exceptionally well even when cycling and vigorous exercise. Its very easy to change the battery and only had a signal drop when the battery began to run out after lots and lots of use. Easily brought a new one from Sainsburies standard 3v button battery and even easier to fit.

2, The menus are easy to navigate and the watch has all the functions I need with easy and concise data display.

3. The training files are stored on the watch and provide a complete history of training stats easily accessible whenever needed.

There was a wide range of products available and a wider range of prices but for someone who wants a good, well featured, reliable device to provide that essential fun element of gadgetry to drive you to a fitter life, then this is a great choice.

Pretty sure I haven't used all the features yet and I think there is a web thingy as well, but so far I couldn't be happier with my purchase.
on 13 October 2013
I bought this watch because of the price and amazon reviews.
I do not understand why some buyers complain about poor or no hrm signal. I read the manual and the user instructions couldn't be easier. I put some water on the hrm band and voila'! My heart rate in 2-3 seconds!

This is actually a small watch. To be honest I didn't expect it to be that small. The design is ok and the build quality seems normal. For a mans wrist, it looks quite small, but hey, it's a heart rate monitor. Not an all day watch.

The screen is easily readable and there are two screen options (one with big and one with small digits-including seconds)
This is a basic hrm with not that many features. For example during hrm I couldn't find how to lap my run, since there's only one time entry showing the overall training time length.

It's very new, so I don't have any experience on battery life and durability, but I guess its pretty basic.

For someone who wants to keep the training intensity under control this is a great watch!
on 11 January 2013
I purchased this as I wanted to replace my old (12 years old) Polar that I used for mainly running. The watch and strap look nice and the strap is very comfortable and the signal seems reliable. It has some serious flaws in my opinion so I will be selling it on. I think this is partly down to me not looking at the specs closely enough and partly because you would assume a HR watch would have the following features:
1) You cannot display the HR and the exercise duration at the same time - this seems bizarre. You can view duration and time of day (why you need to I don't know). To know how long you have been exercising you need to press quite a small button which, if you are moving is a pain to do.
2) No lap functionality. I assumed a stop watch would include a lap feature - you can buy a casio watch for £10 that provides stopwatch and lap functionality!
Overall it looks nice, the chest strap is good but they have gone for gimmicks over basic, usable functionality. If you want a watch for running then this is not the model for you.