Format: Blu-ray|Change

I went to the cinema with genuine discomfort at the motivations for releasing this film. Would it be yet another exploitation of Jackson's legacy? Another shot at raking in money from his name? Could rehearsal footage be of any interest? Did I really want to see a skeletal drug-addict shamble around? But my children really wanted to see the film, and I had promised them a treat following their exams so I was beholden to taking them. I was not looking forward to seeing "This Is It" and I am not a nutty fan.

In short, Kenny Ortega has produced a staggering film. Admittedly, there is some sycophancy from some of the dancers (only in the opening sequence) and Jackson is not giving a full-on stage performance (remember - it's a rehearsal!), but... Wow! Even when operating at 70%, Jackson's stagecraft, voice and dancing are miles ahead of anyone performing today. This 50 year old man shows everyone how it should be done.

"This Is It" cannot be pigeon-holed. It is not a movie. It is not a concert. It is not a documentary. The footage was shot for Jackson's personal collection. However, Ortega has compiled a compelling and amazing film.

The sheer scale of the concerts, the preparation required, the rigs, the video sequences... this would have been the greatest comeback in the history of pop. I know I sound like Elizabeth Taylor here, but I am pretty critical. If you see my other reviews, I don't dole out 5 stars willy-nilly.

For all the negativity I have read about this film, I cannot agree that Jackson looked weak. He was certainly thin, but he was more than able to perform the moves. He was saving his voice, so didn't belt out every song, but that's the norm for rehearsals - and even with so much in reserve, he sounds incredible. Of course, Ortega might have edited it favourably for Jackson's posterity, but this is no bad thing for the viewer. There is no mawkish focus on watching Jackson wither. If Sony and AEG are cynically exploiting Jackson's memory, it doesn't feel like it on watching the film. I would urge you not to deny yourself the opportunity to see this film because of the bad press it has received from some (I would say, uninformed) corners. If you were ever a fan of Jackson's music, you are in for a treat with this film.

"This Is It" is without doubt one of the very best cinematic experiences I have ever had.

The World was denied a once in a generation event. Having seen this film, I have no doubt that had Jackson lived to perform the concerts, his reputation as the greatest entertainer of his generation, and perhaps all-time, would have been secured.
3030 comments| 311 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 February 2010
Obviously the films 5 stars. No question.

But if your buying the two disc special edition your buying this for the extras also.. Although they're great... they're not what I was hoping for.. I heard there was going to be 6 hours and loads of extra footage of Michael.

There basically isn't ANY extra footage of Michael! Everything of MJ is in the film.. the extra footage is just mini docs about the costumes or the staging or the dancers or meeting the band etc etc.. with lots of talking heads from the producers, musicians etc etc..

If your hoping for an unedited version or two of say one whole run through of smooth criminal or whichever track, the extras here don't feature any such treat.

There is hardly any, if any, extra MJ performance footage in the extras!!!

We do see things like the planned ending for the show explained.. and the costume doc explaining and showing what was planned for the Billie Jean costume is great - I wonder actually why these two bits weren't in the actual film..? - really fascinating.

Obviously as I say the film is great, and as a fan I would never not buy the 2 disc version.. just thought I'd give people a heads up that the extras.. although great.. probably won't thrill you as much as you hope... Hundreds of hours of material were shot during rehearsals.. and none extra were put on these discs!!! :(

The second disc actually just has on it three mini docs. Meet the Band, Meet the Dancers and Meet the Vocalists... sums it up really.. all just a bit of a con.

If you buy this you want to see extra MJ right? here you get extras interviews with the producers.. There's a Kenny Ortega interview on youtube from last year almost promising extra footage, what happened?? I suppose they're planning on flogging this further and releasing another DVD in a year or so...?

MUST JUST ADD! Someone kindly commented on this review and told me to check out the Blu Ray version as it has the extras I was frustrated are missing on the DVD. I have since done so and can confirm, ALL the extras you can wish for, are solely on the BLU RAY! So if you have the chance, buy the Blu Ray version!!!!!!!!!!!!
22 comments| 97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse

11 comment| 66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 November 2009
I booked 6 seats for 'This is It' for my husband's birthday - we all like the music so it was worth a shot - and, like the reviewer above, I was somewhat worried what might unfold.

I needn't have been concerned - the film gave an unusual insight into the rehearsal process behind a massive production and was a celebration of all that made Michael a great performer. Most of what needs to be said is accurately reflected in the review above, so I won't repeat it.

Suffice it to say that my family - ranging from 50+ down to 15 years and by no means all committed Jackson fans - were all enthralled and my youngest came away almost in tears as she realised what the world has lost now Michael is gone.

It confirmed for me that Michael lived for his music and his music lived through him in a way we are unlikely to see again.

Don't miss it!

22 comments| 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 November 2009
I went to the cinema to see "This is It" last week and knew at once that I would have to own it on DVD. I did my growing up with Michael Jacksons music over the years and this movie proved to me that he still had it at 50. At times when watching it you almost feel that you are looking at a concert and I found myself smiling at some of the things that were been said on stage as if he was really still here.

I left the cinema with mixed emotions but the one question in my mind was "What happened to him" he was so ready for the O2 concerts.

If you are into Michael Jacksons music, dancing, professionalism etc., then you dont want to miss this chance to own the last footage of a great star in action.
on 13 November 2009
I saw This Is It at the cinema and baring in mind it was only footage of rehearsals which was not meant to be a film but for MJ's own use, I was delighted with what I saw.

Michael Jackson still had it! In parts his dancing was amazing, you can tell he isn't going full throttle at points and is just trying things out. His vocals is what surprised me most, I haven't heard him singing live this well for a long long time, and he was 99% live in this footage.

The thing I wish for is that we saw more of Michael's personality. His humour and kindness was shown in the film but not enough. I wish there was more talking with Michael but of course you need to remember this was never meant to be shown like this. I'm not even sure Michael would appreciate its release as he was such a perfectionist and wouldn't have wanted this to be shown without seeing the spectacular finished product. Unfortunately we never got to see the finished product, but this is what we have.

This is a sneak sneak peak at ideas for the show. The whold production looked like it would have been amazing, and Michael himself.

What was really sad is that some of the footage is from the night before his death, where he wears a tshirt which a fan gave him. This is during Thriller (on stage) and Earth Song. The tshirt says 'curls for my girls' as there was excitement earlier this year when Michael went back to his curly hairstyle. His last ever time on stage he was wearing a tshirt from a fan, with a message to the fans.
on 9 November 2009
I grew up with his music and really regret not seeing him in concert. I couldn't wait to see This Is It as it seemed the next best thing to seeing him live. I had heard so much in the media that these concerts were never actually going to happen because quote: 'He knew he couldn't sing or dance any more and couldn't face his fans knowing this' After seeing the film I felt such anger at the press. His voice was stunning, absolutely as beautiful as ever. Also he was around 25 years older than his backing dancers and was still amazing everyone with his moves. If you take into account that at rehearsals he was only 'marking out' and not running at 100% then you can only guess at his brilliance. I think if these concerts had gone ahead we would have been seeing one of the most spectacular shows ever made. At times it was hard to remember you were actually just watching a rehearsal - you became so wrapped up in the emotion of it all. He came across as the same ultimate professional and creative genius that he always was,as well as a beautiful and humble human being. It is said there will be added extra footage in the dvd and I really can't wait to own this.
on 11 November 2009
When a friend of mine announced that he had tickets to the O2 shows, I must admit, I poured scorn on the idea, thinking like everyone else - he's past it, he's addled with drugs, he's desperate for cash. I went to see the movie last week with a non-fan - we went for the curiousity value more than anything else - and I have to say, we were blown away.

Michael moved with the grace and ease of someone half his age, and he showed the young dancers selected for the tour how it's done. His voice was still astonishing. I think his skills as a vocalist were always overshadowed by the dancing and the razmatazz of his performances, but he really was a beautiful singer. If Michael's family's opinion on the rehearsals is to be believed, This Is It shows him performing at 40% - all I can say is, if this is 40%; 100% would have been mind-blowing.

This film depicts a true showman at his finest, his dedication to his craft astonishing. I have no hesitation in recommending it to any music fan. The O2 shows would have been the concert of a lifetime.
on 11 November 2009
I will be the first to admit that i'm not a huge Michael Jackson fan, but i like some of his music and even those who did not rate him much have admited that musically, he was one of the best singer/songwriter/performers around. Having stdied him as part of my course, i was intersted to see what he had in stre for all those who would have seen his comeback concert. To say it could have been one of the best concerts ever is not an understatement- it truely would have shown us just how much of a performer he was.
First thing to remember- this is a working progress. Michael admitted himself that the first people to see his concert all the way through (without any breaks) would have been the audience. Here we see a selection of songs which would have been played- and boy he doesn't do things quietly! Every song had a production and was amazing to watch. Second point to note is that he is not performing 100% as he wanted to conserve his voice and hmself. I liked how the screen split and showed different rehersals of each song. Even the rehersals he wasn't putting that much into still looked great- it just goes to show how easy it was for him. I also enjoyed how involved he was- during some songs a screen would be used. The most effective uses (for me) were thriller (this would have been fantastic as he backing dancers got made up as ceatures of the night, but beware of the huge spider!), they don't really care about us (like the last one, he used his backing dancers in the video and multiplied them for a great effect) and smooth criminal. Some have mentioned his health- if he really was that ill, he would never have done the stunt where he jumps through a window! This to me was one of the best uses of the screen. However, Michael also wanted his fans to listen to his message. He cared about the environmentalot and eatrh song only emphasised ths. What he planned to do for this was amazing and i actually got a chill at the end of the song- he wanted his message to be loud and clear, and believe me, it would have been.
It was fascinating to watch him analyse his songs. There were times he'd tell the musicians what he wanted but he was never forceful and only showed how much he cared about the work he crafted. Although nothing but (near)perfecion was what he wanted, Michael was always polite and even had a laugh and a joke with everyone. When he got annoyed, he'd take a couple of breaths and carry on. To me, he was never a diva and just wanted a concert everyone would love and be proud of. Maybe certain singers should see this to show them how rude they are and teach them a lesson!
I left the cinema in disbelief- to me, he looked thin but never ill. He would have completed the 50 dates and given his fans a show to be proud. To think he never performed his finest hour is a sad one. Could this have been the greatest show on earth? Possibly yes. I imagine the dvd will be amazing too and will be pre-ordering it. This is a definate must for Michael's fans, those who wanted to see the show and for those who inspire to be not only great musicians, but great performers too.