on 2 October 2015
We bought the item almost a year ago for a Christmas present for our twins as a friend had given us a trike of this type which is a Lazy Town themed one from Toys R Us. As we have experienced nothing but disappointment with Toys R Us products in the past and because neither my wife nor I enjoy the physical act of shopping especially with three kids in tow we thought that we would order this item as surely it should be similar shouldn't it despite it being a bit cheap selling the seat belt separately? When we received the item, there were no instructions in the box so we had to use the picture on the side as our reference so there was a bit of trial and error going on with the different sized bolts and Kettler seem to like challenging customers as there were none with the seat belt either and to add to the excitement there was no picture either.
Now that the kids have been out on both trikes several times over the summer we can see that despite previous reservations with the Toys R Us one, it is actually superior to the Kettler one for the following reasons;

The Kettler trike's front wheel does not direction lock so keeping a 2 year old going in a straight line means that you have to keep the trike tilted back slightly
The Kettler trike does not have feet support so the rider has to either keep their feet on the pedals (which they won't do believe me) or more likely they will drag them along the ground or get them trapped under something
I am still smarting at the fact that you have to buy the seat belt separately. This reminds me of VW cars in the late eighties still selling cars with stereos as optional extras, maybe it's a German thing I don't know.

Would I buy another one if needed? Probably not, there are better ones out there at a more reasonable price. It's just not been really thought through
on 20 December 2015
The trike is well designed, looks nice, and the metal parts seem sturdy. Unfortunately the factory quality control is extremely poor:
- 1st trike, purchased by my parents: one screw un-usable, preventing assembly, plus neither rear wheel turned freely.
- 2nd trike, purchased by me: rear left wheel stuck occasionally, causing drag and turning in a circle
- 3rd trike, replacement for 2nd: even worse, rear right wheel extremely wonky, did not turn very well at all.
If you buy this product, check all the wheels before starting to assemble and hope you don't get a bad screw!

Other points to note:
- The brake is not a 'safety brake' as the Amazon description states (as at Dec 2015). It cannot be used for parking as there is no mechanism to keep it on, neither is it easy for a parent to reach. It seems to be intended as a toy hand brake for the child to use while sitting on the trike.
- The trike is not difficult to put together as long as you follow the pictures and have the right tools - a decent set of metric spanners or hex nut drivers, and phillips screwdriver.
- There is an error in the 'key' which tells you which part corresponds to which code in the assembly instruction pictures (two types of screws are mixed up). Follow the pictures as they seem to be correct - you can tell which screw to use by the length and whether the screw head is flat or rounded.
on 4 August 2013
The quality of the bike is good however the steering for adults is very tough as in theory it's just a stick attached to the bike therefore not allowing for manoeuvrability so the only way to push child is by tilting them back slightly. A wrist ache for parents. I'm confident the rest of the bike is great when my son is able to pedal.
on 3 July 2013
When I received the trike, I was immediately worried. The box was beaten up, and there was a hole right through it at one point. It was also obvious that the box had been opened and resealed with tape. The trike's box was delivered inside a bigger Amazon box which was in good condition. So the DAMAGE was obviously done BEFORE it was boxed for sending to me.

As this is for a BIRTHDAY PRESENT I was faced with the disappointing need to open the box to check its condition.

All the pieces are there, and it looks like it will be a sturdy trike. But there was MUD ON THE WHEELS, and SCRATCHES an the plastic parts. So it has definitely BEEN USED.

Very sad, and very disappointed. I don't have time to return this, as it is a gift for 2 days' time. I will have to keep it in this condition, and gift it in this condition. I'm sure that the child receiving it won't mind. But I am SADDENED and ANGRY that Amazon have had the audacity to sell me a USED item - which was obviously returned to them at some point - AT FULL PRICE!!

I hope Amazon read this and do the decent thing of refunding part of the cost. Star rating is mostly due to being a used item. Not a judgement of what the trike would be new.
on 5 February 2013
This is a lovely traditional trike, just like the one I had 45 years ago except with a detachable steering handle.
The trike is very well made, fits together well and uses quality solid parts. Took me 20 mins to build this evening, a simple and straightforward job. The daughter is going to love it. Keep it up Kettler. You've got to hand it to the Germans; they just know how to build quality. I looked at the Italtrike Classic but it was 3 times the cost and, to be honest, I don't think you get much more. I wanted a simple, traditional and well-made present that will last for years, and Kettler tick all the boxes on this one.
on 18 September 2014
Purchased two for twin boys - they didn't arrive at the same time which could have caused all sorts of fun and games - so order in plenty of time - but when they both arrived and were put together were a huge success and the boys have not been on any thing else - well made and sturdy for two busy little 2 yr olds
on 29 September 2014
Not as easy as I would like to put together. It appeared that it was previously purchased and returned as you do need a few tools to turn it into a usable trike.

If you're good with tools, have them and have nimble fingers then you should be able to put it together within 15 minutes. If you don't have those hexagon tools (whatever they're called) then you may be stuck.

The trike itself was thoroughly enjoyed by my son. He's just turned two and is a bit too short to use the pedals, but the the handle at the back allows you to push him around without hurting your back.
on 2 December 2013
This is a sturdy and well-proportioned trike that should withstand the harshest abuse any mini-biker can throw at it. Minimal assembly required and looks as if it will endure many, many rough rides over any terrain.
on 8 October 2014
Amazing value. Well made and strong; takes a while to assemble. An excellent feature is the freewheel on the pedals, so the rider can keep his (or her) feet on them when being pushed along by an adult,. You might want to buy the safety belt that goes with it - a small child can wrench the handlebars round and if you're not alert with the handle, could easily fall off. The belt is expensive (as is its P&P !) compared to the trike. Note that the belt fitting instructions are in the trike's handbook, not packed with the belt.
on 29 August 2015
My 22 month old loves it. She can't work the pedals yet but she can put her feet on them ok and it will help her learn. She is average height by the way. The handle only steers the trike if you tip it back a bit and manoeuvre it.