TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 21 September 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Lumie Bodyclock

Although Lumie fail to advertise it well, the product in question can behave as both an 'alarm clock' (with sunrise & sunset lighting options, as well as an audible alarm for back-up) and an ambient light, meaning that if you once had a bedside lamp, you could simply ditch it and use the space for this product. This in itself is a wonderful concept since I previously had a habit of waking up to an alarm and feeling around for the right device to bash. Using the product as an ambient light is not a bad idea either, and I have to give kudos to Lumie for making it such a subtle but simple feature.

I'll get straight to the point; Just how good is it to wake up to a simulated 'sunrise'? Really, really good... For myself, it is the equivalent of someone slowly opening the blinds in my bedroom and letting a warm sheen of light enter, which slowly makes me more and more alert to the point that when I do open my eyes, I think to myself "Yikes, did I leave the light on?". The difference I've felt compared to the more startling "BEEP-BEEP... BEEP-BEEP' almost giving me a heart-attack is ridiculously positive. Its incredible to think that a simple light has stopped me from waking up with persistent yawns and a heavy head.

Operating Instructions are included in a very simple and easy to read manual that, unusually for English labour, appears more akin to an Apple product. A 42 watt bulb is obviously included (with a 2000 our lifetime!) and which you are required to easily screw in, as well as a Support Line card (in case you have any unforeseen problems) and the U.K power cable, which is attached to the device and not un-pluggable.

The only caveat (if you could call it that) this product has is that in principle, its not as straightforward to operate as a traditional alarm clock. Whereas the latter will usually have dedicated buttons to control the alarm being on or off, the Lumie product requires that 90% of is operation be through navigating its 'menu'. And since the display itself relies on feeding back words through its 4-digit panel, you'll be wanting to keep the manual handy in-case you need to make further adjustments to your settings.

The Good news however is that once you're set-up, you shouldn't need to fiddle much with the product. The menu button also acts as that to turn the alarm on and off, while you can manually raise or dim the light with the + and - buttons. And thats pretty much it! Although in an ideal world, I would have still suggested using a matrix display that could clearly represent letters/numbers rather than the older 'digit' style.

You can even choose the digital display to turn off by itself when the device is not in use, which is a nice feature not only because it saves energy, but I've found at the night the display to be just a bit too bright to keep on constantly. And if you want to know the time, just tap the menu button and it appears temporarily!

If Lumie were to improve the product in one particular area, then I'd have to settle for something quite specific and thats the buttons themselves... They're noisy! Particularly when you're in bed and the individual next to you can hear loud 'clicks' as you start fiddling. A simpler, or should I say softer push button system would have been nicer.

I should also like to mention that the top surface of the product will get hot after prolonged use, so don't let little fingers play with the admittedly absorbing glow! Vents are placed at the back of the shell to allow some heat to dissipate.

Reflecting on its price, this is a genuinely excellent value product based purely on my improved enthusiasm and reduced 'grogginess' when I wake up. Its all to easy to wag away what the product essentially is - a bulb in a large dome - but the science behind our sleep patterns cannot be disputed. Its the reason our eyelids allow some natural light to pass through since receptors tell the brain "Oi, you can get up now!" when enough light is present, and thats what this product aims to do - to simulate natural sunrises. And it clearly works.
99 comments569 of 598 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 September 2015
I was struggling to decide whether to purchase this alarm clock or one of the more expensive models. I read many reviews on various different wake-up lights and in the end I thought "try the cheap option and see how it goes" ... I'm now glad that I didn't spend more money on a more expensive model. Some of the reviews of this alarm clock led me to believe that it would be "noisy" - I suspect the reviewers received defective units as I am a light sleeper and with previous alarms/devices I would awaken the instant that I heard a familiar "click" or "buzz" from the device. This light definitely does not emit any noise.

I find that I wake up around 20 minutes into the 30-minute long cycle (the light takes 30 minutes to adjust from completely off to completely on). So I have set the "alarm" time for the light at 6:10am (meaning that the light will begin illuminating at 5:40am and will be at full brightness at 6:10am) and have set my phone alarm for 6:00am. This seems to work well for me as the light wakes me up shortly before the alarm sounds. On full brightness, this light easily matches the brightness of the 11W LED (60W equivalent) ceiling light in the bedroom.

I only have 2 gripes with this product. The first is that the buttons are a bit "clicky". The second is that in order to turn the display off you must hold the "-" and "+" buttons until the clock emits a loud beep! Not good when your partner's already asleep and you forgot to turn off the display! This is the main reason for not marking the product as 5-star.

The positive aspect of this light, which far outweighs any negatives, is that I wake up far more naturally with this light and don't suffer with the groggy feeling that used to accompany waking up to an alarm in the pitch black.
0Comment105 of 112 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 November 2015
Clichéd but this has literally changed my life. I wake up in the morning now and I am actually awake and can get up and do things. Really amazing
on 3 January 2013
bought this to aid winter blues early rising in the darkness. The light part is great. It acutally does make you wake up more naturally. BUT, the alarm!!!! AGH!!! it's the most grating over loud piercing blast you have heard in ages. all the good work of the light wasted by the SHOCK TACTICS of the alarm
0Comment23 of 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 January 2016
The first couple of nights I used this, it didn't make any difference at all. I just rolled over to where I couldn't see it and slept on. After moving it into a better position I definitely started to see the benefits. While I still need an alarm as the light doesn't fully wake me, it's made getting up so much easier. Instead of being jerked from a deep sleep by my alarm I now find that I'm half awake when the alarm goes off and don't need to snooze at all. I feel more refreshed when I wake up and generally feel more alert throughout the day.
on 19 January 2014
I love this item , I always awake just as the light comes on and then have 30 minutes of snooze time before the alarm. No more groping for the alarm in the dark after being rudely awakened. I now can get out of bed feeling a lot more alert and able to cope with the hectic mornings and busy workday.
0Comment60 of 72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 January 2016
I got this for my 16 yr old who's autistic & struggling with anxiety which has affected his sleep & he found it hard to get up of a morning - this has done the trick. I'd tried other SAD products on him but he hated the noise they made & was irritated by them, he loves his morning wake up & seems much brighter in himself during the day
on 26 November 2015
Very sceptical about this light working but was amazed how different I feel When waking up in the morning a lot brighter and more Energy amazing
on 26 October 2012
This alarm has done exactly what i hoped! my body clock wasnt liking the dark mornings and i was struggling to wake up, and i felt rough! since having the alarm i have woken up naturally and i feel fresh!!! my eyes have already adjusted to the light! it is pricey, but its worth it for the way it has made me feel! love it!
on 23 November 2014
I was pretty excited when I bought this; during the summer months I am an early riser and never struggle to get out of bed in the morning, however in the darker winter months I feel the opposite. This alarm clock seemed like it was exactly what I needed! I am sad to say that after using the product for a few weeks I have decided that I would not recommend this product.

To be absolutely fair, I would say maybe 2/5 mornings I do wake with the light before the audible alarm is initiated. If you have the motivation to get out of bed immediately then maybe you would find a use for this product, but please read below for some things that have put me off the product.

1. It gets very hot. Maybe there is no way around this, it is a bright bulb contained in a small plastic casing, so yeah, it gets hot.
2. You need to consciously set the alarm every night. Every other alarm clock I have had in my life you set it once and it will continue to wake you up at the set time until you switch it off. Not this one - very backwards design!
3. You have to hold down a button to dim the light until it is out... why not just have an off button?
4. It has an illuminated clock face that dims when you turn the alarm on so you cannot look at the time if you wake up in the middle of the night...

I have rated 2 stars because yes, 2 times out of 5 it does wake me up gently... I guess it isn't the alarm clock's fault I fall asleep again and rely on the audible alarm in addition to this.
22 comments25 of 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse