on 9 April 2008
As the title suggests - down to earth guide. You can really relate to the author and the information goes further than the usual veg books, rather than the usual colour photos of tools, veg etc, its crammed with tips and advice that are usually passed down from generations. There are diagrams and sketches when needed - simple clear and easy to follow. Another thing I liked was the author covers all methods and doesnt 'preach' a certain method, just gives the facts so you can choose yourself. VERY highly recomended and very thorough. Easy to read and a book I will keep close at hand - fits in the handbag. Such good value for money, every page has been used to its full. Well done John Harrison
0Comment|290 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 March 2008
I thought this was very good value - puts some rivals to shame. It's the right size for you pocket or shed too. Sensible advice without being bossy.
I would recommend this to beginners and more experienced gardeners alike.
on 28 May 2008
Have to say the book is written in a way that it is an easy, engaging read, which puts across an interest and detail in the subject that is rather infectious. It gives explanations & descriptions in plain English, as if the author is standing next to you holding a conversation with you rather than talking at you. It doesn't have lots of glossy pictures of marvellous gardens and plants, but it has something far more important: necessary information put across in a way that as a beginner, I felt I wasn't being talked down to in a way some celebrity gardeners do tend to do IMO. The information given is incredibly useful and practical. It's going to be one of those books I pop in and out of when needed, and will be come well-thumbed and well-used. I recommend it.
on 11 October 2008
I can second all other positive comments on here but let you all know that if you get it from www . allotment . org . uk / book / index . php it will cost you £6.99 including postage but, and here's the good bit, you get £10 worth of seeds with it for free!!! (apologies for putting spaces between all the dots and slashes but I have a feeling Amazon don't let you submit reviews containing web links)
33 comments|59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 March 2008
This is a really useful guide in straightforward user-friendly language. I am new to vegetable growing and find the guidance in this book invaluable.
0Comment|108 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 March 2008
You can spend three times as much as this book costs and get lots of glossy photo's and an impressive looking bookcase., but that's all. I doubt if this Book will spend much time on the bookcase anyway.

The joy of this Book is that it gets down to basics, is well set out and unlike some books, you can get to where you want to easily.

Mr. Harrison obviously runs a very efficient vegetable garden. I would imagine he is very well and healthily fed through his practical knowledge!

Worth every penny.
0Comment|167 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 August 2008
Written by a real gardener, it's thorough, concise, inexpensive, well-laid out and a good read.
on 21 November 2008
I bought this book and was really happy that I had. It isn't full of glossy photos but it has lots of information and really tells you what you need to know to get growing. I would recommend this to anyone who wants no nonsense information.
on 19 January 2009
I am very new to all veg growing, so when I read the reviews on this book I sent away for it. It is great, easy to read and understand, I just cant wait now to get started on my growing.
So if you want an easy to read/understand book with lots of tips and help, go for this one.
on 29 January 2009
This is such an informative book, full of tips and recommendations, I would recommend this to any allottment holder, particularly someone just starting out, you can't possible go wrong!