4.7 out of 5 stars2,491
Format: DVDChange

on 5 January 2010
But I mean it in a good way! This is, without any shadow of a doubt, the most intensive workout DVD I've ever tried (and I have a good few, including Davina, Nell McAndrew, The Firm etc etc...) Jillian and her two helpers (one advanced, one 'normal') take you through three 20 minute workouts - Levels 1, 2 and 3. Each workout is made up of three circuits which comprise of 3 minutes of weights, 2 minutes of cardio and 1 minute of ab work.

Like me, you may well be thinking this sounds reasonable, quick and easy. It isn't! Even Level 1 is an intensive workout - lots of jumping jacks, squats, bum kicks etc., and Jillian doesn't let up for a second, constantly keeping you moving. I found I had to use lighter weights than I would for a Davina workout; the exercises are so quick and intense that I couldn't keep up with my usual ones. The exercises have a real 'military' feel and change quickly, and you are given plenty of instruction and encouragement. The music isn't great, but then you probably won't have the energy to think much about it while you're doing this workout!

Levels 2 and 3 contain harder exercises (such as burpees, mountain climbs, jumping jacks from the plank position). I've got a passable fitness level, but on finishing Level 2 I was in a collapsed screaming heap on the floor, thoroughly worked out! Jillian screams at some point in Level 2 "I want you to feel like you're gonna DIE!" - and if you're anything like me, you will! On the plus side, if you can do Level 2, I don't think you'll find Level 3 too much of a difference in intensity, unless you have weak abs as this section pushes them to the limit.

This is a fantastic workout to try if you're looking to push yourself hard, but it is NOT for the faint hearted. Jillian and her helpers are very toned, but also quite bulky - to avoid this it might be a good idea to alternate this DVD with some less intense workouts (as I intend to do!) But the fact remains - there is absolutely no doubt that if you did this DVD every day, even doing just one of the three levels per day, you would lose weight and get results very quickly.
5454 comments1,647 of 1,725 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 October 2015
Really enjoyed 30 day shred. I feel stronger and fitter after the 30 days! I didn't lose weight although I was eating my normal diet but I lost inches from my whole body. The 20mins goes by so quickly so it was easy to motivate myself on days when I really couldn't be bothered.
on 14 December 2013
Bought this DVD for my wife. With the diet and the workout, she's lost 11lb in 5 weeks. So proud of her.
33 comments180 of 215 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 December 2015
Love this DVD!! Lost a stone In weight. Didn't need really diet just cut back on few things. Body shape has changed and dropped a dress size. Did it for 30days then couple times a week after
on 5 February 2016
Bought this dvd on a recommendation to help get rid of my 'apron' i have bought many home workout dvds and i normally give up after watching once from the comfort of my couch but for some reason i have been sticking to this one. It is realy intense i dont think i have ever sweat so much in my life. Im still on stage one as i think stage two might actually kill me off at the moment. There are two helpers in the background one who does a easier version and one who does the harder version of the moves and i am sort of invetween the so thats not too bad. I thought i was in pain after doing the dvd but when i woke up the next morning i hurt in places i didnt know existed which i hope means the dvd is working. If you are a big busted lady like me a well fitted sports bra is a must otherwise you will end up with black eyes. Not being a sporty person i dont own any weights so instead i use tins out the cupboard. Chopped tomatoes are my prefered ones at the minute but any will do. Partner finds this very funny. The only other advice i can give you is make sure the curtains/ blinds are shut before you start as you dont want to scare the neighbours!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 January 2016
I have just finished Level 1 and am so looking forward to Level 2. I have completed Insanity twice, T25, I am a keen runner all because I like to eat chocolate and crisps. I consider myself fairly fit and in reasonable shape for aged 48. What was not obvious to me was that you can actually get in shape after about 6 days with only doing 20 mins a day. My body has toned, my body fat has reduced all for doing Level 1 in 20 mins over 10 days. Yes it isn't easy but it is a whole lot easier to complete than Insanity and T25 but the results are a lot quicker to notice with this one. I cannot wait to try Level 2 and will provide an update. For those of you that are starting this from scratch with no prior exercise experience then do follow the modified version as I have to admit I had to follow this a couple of times myself until I got into about day 4 then I seemed to have built more strength. Just keep going I am seeing amazing results with this and it fits into my work life and dog walking life perfectly. Who doesn't have 20 mins?
on 29 September 2012
I was very nervous about this... However I am 5ft2 and did weigh 16.9 stone!!! Not a healthy size and needed to "shred" the fat!

I had learnt about the programme via a community health group I joined several months ago however the class was 1hr a week and was seeing results, as well as eating less crap! I decided that to have more impact with weight-loss I needed to do more and knew I had 20 mins at the very least once a day, even though I do need another 20 to recover its a positive recovery period and feel every ache and pain as that step closer to losing weight and inches!

Jillian for me is very motivational direct, to the point (see her on biggest loser Us!!) and for some like me who has used every trick and excuse in the book for the reason not to exercise or that I am big boned, or too unfit to exercise etc I need someone who is harsh, not fluffy and just speaks facts!!

This is not easy, had a very low fitness level and still sweat a hell of a lot with Level 2, but I am getting better, stronger and more importantly slimmer!! I do not stick to the strict diet but do think more about what I eat, especially before and after!!

As you can do this in your house it is OK not to complete the 20 mins whilst you get used to it, no one is looking, its OK to fall over or lose your balance... no one is watching your in the comfort of your own home and you WILL pick it up and get stronger... little dramatic maybe but I am down to 14 st 6 lbs in 2 months.... MEGA!!! It has been a very long time since I have lost weight, felt better and less concious but also keep it off an actually enjoy my 20mins of brutal torture with Jillian...

I can not recommend this DVD enough and looking forward to mastering it and then looking at other Jillian DVD's to mix it up!

I would advise you may need a mat and I used tin of beans to start and then invested in pretty pink dumbbells so I could gradually mix it up & enjoy my new strength!!

I would advise if you have 20mins a day for one week and cut out the crisps / chocolate / sweets etc and drink water you will see a difference, maybe not on the scales but you will feel it in your clothes!!

HAPPY SHREDDING!!!
33 comments435 of 561 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 January 2016
love this you can really feel it working, jillian michaels is annoying as hell and doesn't really do much so its best to have her on mute
on 22 May 2012
Day 1
I watched the DVD through and thought it was attainable. I then completed Level 1 Day 1 and was a quivering, perspiring wreck. I knew it was going to be a challenge when my enthusiasm turned to gasping after two of the twenty minutes. On Day 2 I hope to reach three minutes before beginning to suffer. I woke up this morning with aching thighs and abdominals. Hopes are high that pain equals gain.

Days 2-4
Abdominal and thigh aches subsiding. Endurance definitely increasing. Even after four days there is improved definition - "one pack" gradually turning into "six pack". I like Ms Michaels' style - whimps need not apply. Had a brief look at Level 3 = X-rated.

Days 5-11
Still very hard work, but getting easier and recovery much faster. Even after only 11 days I can honestly say that I've never been as toned, especially around my abdominal muscles, in my adult life.

Days 12-16
Continued improvement in all areas. Abdominals becoming more defined on a daily basis. Previously tight shorts now slack. Time to move to Level 2...

Days 17-22
Other reviewers have suggested that Level 2 is not a marked step up in severity. I disagree. Twenty minutes of the higher level have left me even more of a quivering, perspiring wreck than Level 1. For me squat thrusts have always been hard and that remains the case. But there is no doubt that the benefit is felt. After six days at the higher level I am finding each part of the three circuits that bit easier (a relative term), but as I say, the end product is a truly exhausted (but ever more ripped) individual. A telling statistic is that my heart rate at rest before starting the Shred = 72, now = 60.

Days 23-28
Level 2 continues to prove a challenge, but is unquestionably becoming less lethal. Level 3 beckons before long. The effects continue to be felt: a tighter notch on my belt unused for some time is once again performing a service and yesterday I turned to the side and my wife lost sight of me. Oh, and I feel physically great.

Day 29 onwards
Level 3 was attacked after 40 days (my shredding process is indefinite). My word, it was jolly hard work. Ascending the Eiger can't be as demanding as when first trying Ms Michaels' "mountain climbers", and star jumps with 3.5kg in each hand at first seems an unlikely prospect. But it's the third circuit of Level 3 that leaves you gasping most: travelling push ups and arm/leg raises from a plank on your weights. Even now as I start that six minute turn I can't quite believe I'm going to do it, but one digs in...

So how about weight loss and toning? The former has been significant (waist line down several inches) and the latter is very satisfying (genuine six pack now evident). While my waist was previously trying to catch up with my age, they are now diverging. I have never felt as good, and as my wife wife says when she feels content, I feel like I could kick my height.

So a recommendation from me for this DVD? Oh, yes! But if you're expecting gain without pain, think again.

And don't forget, "If you think you're going to die, follow Anita". You'll soon know what I mean...

Update at eight months - my diet has not been compromised one iota and I moved from a daily shred to every other day in October. I have shredded 165 times since May 2012 and my physique is unrecognisable. I have lost one stone (I suspect that means 1.5 of fat off and 0.5 of muscle on): 12st11lbs to 11st10lbs. Still exhausted after every shred, but just love that feel good feeling. Ripped.

Update at twenty-two months - I still shred three times per week and despite continuing to eat and drink as I please my weight has remained solidly level for nearly two years at just shy of 12st. Every Tuesday and Thursday morning at 0630 hours plus on a Sunday afternoon Ms Michaels and her accomplices drag me to continued fitness. I am grateful.
22 comments84 of 110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 January 2016
Great so long as you stick to it. I got to 6 days. However, i have friends who have made it all the way to 30 and they swear it works for them. There are three levels to choose from. I found level 1 quite difficult, but very quickly managed to get to level 2. VERY IMPORTANT to do the warm up and warm down otherwise you will be aching in the morning!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse