Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Amazon Pantry Food & Drink Beauty Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Up to 70% off Fashion Shop All Amazon Fashion Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now

on 4 July 2010
Ordered the iPod Classic from Amazon and received it within 3 days (after cancelling my order for the same product for hmv.com because they were messing me about and couldn't get it!!...rant over, I'll carry on with the review).

I can't fault the product, memory is huge, am still in the process of transferring all of my CDs onto the ipod. be aware that you only get around 148GB of useable space due to the formatting etc. on the device, but that is still a huge capacity. I think these are much better value for money in terms of memory than the iPod Touch.

I have had no problems with the volume; goes more than loud enough for me, with great sound quality. I have loaded one short video onto the ipod and it plays very clearly with great picture and sound quality.

iTunes is really easy to use (even if it is often cheaper to buy an album on CD rather than download it!), but it has a great range of features, allowing you to rip your CD's, add album artwork, lyrics, videos, movies, contacts etc.

Ipod also comes with 3 games; a quiz game (including a quiz based on the music you have put on your ipod), Klondike and another game involving bounicing a ball. All are quite entertaining, and I assume you can download additional games from iTunes if you want.

Also comes with an adaptor for a docking station. Whilst this didn't fit in my docking station, I had some adaptors that came with the docking station and the ipod fits in that one perfectly, allowing me to play music out loud as well as through headphones.

Can't fault this product-if you need memory get the iPod Classic. If you want a touch screen and ability to browse the web etc, you'd be better off with the iPod touch, but at the cost of much smaller memory!!
44 comments393 of 401 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Many reviewers are a bit miffed that Apple have played around somewhat with the classic's capacity but I have bought one only having owned an 8 gig Nano. I wanted the extra space for films & audiobooks and although I really like the iPod Touch it just doesn't have enough space. I want something I can load up with all my favourite tunes, programmes & films + a load of audiobooks to take on holiday. This does the job really well. The capacity is very good and means I dont have to keep swapping items around or decide what I want to take. The screen cannot compete with the touch but it is way bigger than the nano & works well enough although I use a dock to put it through the telly on holiday. The picture is far better than I expected and the sound clear. Everyone knows how well i-Tunes works and the addition of genius, while not vital, is a nice touch. So heres a list of pro's & con's.
For: That huge memory capacity, I got the black finish & it looks lovely,(you can get a personal message inscribed for free but you have to order through Apple for that), rapid response, intuitive controls & layout, a doddle to load, substantial feel/build especially compared to the nano & other makes, lots of accessories, great fun & capable of storing hours of entertainment for when you're away from home.
Against: Can be a little noisy, Films are battery hungry, iTunes charge an arm & a leg for just about everything,(yeah I know that's a bit random but I thought I'd have a whinge anyway), if you don't need the memory save up your shekels & get an iPod Touch, Fairly heavy, dump the headphones coz they're tat & buy some Sennheisers instead.
All in all I love this item & recommend it totally. Have fun!
2020 comments462 of 476 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 December 2009
New Apple iPod classic 160GB - Black

I bought one of these, the latest 8th gen model, despite warnings from other reviewers on Amazon that it now had a cap on volume, which I really didn't want; yes, I know, I had to hear it for myself. It's true, the maximum volume has been reduced by about 30%. This is a problem when listening to quiet music such as classical and acoustic folk in noisy places such as buses, trains and my local gym where I failed to drown out the disco. I have found that many older albums, eg from the 60s such as Bob Dylan and Joni Mitchell albums, have been recorded to CD at a low volume level, and similarly, the maximum volume level attainable from this new iPod is not enough for these. I don't mean ear-shattering volume and 100% of the time, but a proper volume control should allow for all possibilities. There are three ways to up the volume on this model: the volume control, a volume limiter in "settings" on the root menu, and in the iTunes software (although this merely adjusts all songs in your library to the same average level, it doesn't boost volume to any significant degree). Even with all of these up to the max you would have a problem with quiet music in noisy environments.

This is a real shame, I bought one on the basis of hearing the volume and quality from my son's iPod nano, but this just doesn't have the same power. It is, 'though, a beautifully made and feature-packed player, simple to use. If volume isn't an issue for you, then great, no reservations, but if it is, I recommend hearing one if you can, before you buy.
4646 comments453 of 470 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 March 2010
This is for all those people who are having volume issues with this iPod, I did notice that when I bought this iPod it was easily quieter than my wifes previous 60gb she had purchased a few years previous. I looked up how to increase the volume in addition to just changing the volume setting on the iPod itself. Here is a real quick and easy way. This is how to do it on a Mac but on a PC I guess it's just a drop down box from the top. If you highlight your entire music library on iTunes and select "get info" (command & I on a mac) you get a pop up box with all the info including artwork etc. Click the options tab and select volume adjustment then move the bar accross to the right to 100%. then hit ok and depending on the size of you library to the time it takes to update, I have around 30gb and it took a couple of minutes. Then just sync your iPod and the volume has increased I would say by 20% or so. If you add to your library you will have to select that song/album and repeat the process but I go in once a month and select all and it updates any new ones in seconds. Hope this helps and if anyone does this on a PC maybe you could post the keystrokes.
88 comments146 of 154 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 November 2009
This is my first iPod or indeed MP3. I decided to buy it because I was fed up with lugging a load of Minidiscs around with me. In just about every respect I am pleased with the iPod Classic. If find i-tunes easy to use on my PC (Windows XP with Service Pack 3), although I am finding I am filling my computer hard drive quite fast. So far I have only used the iPod for storing music, and the 160GB on the iPod Classic is proving to be more than ample for my needs. So far I have 6.9 Days(i.e. almost one week of continuous music) recorded, which is taking 18.05GB of space. The synchronising with i-tunes is easy. Battery life has not been a problem. So far I have only charged the battery with supplied lead from the USB socket on my PC. Note that whilst mains chargers are available, they optional extras.

My musical taste is almost exclusively classical music of just about every sort from Monteverdi to Mahler. The sound quality at the default settings I find very good. Many people have commented on the maximum volume level. My view is that for private listening at home, the volume is more than adequate using the supplied headphones. When listening on the bus going to work, the maximum volume obtainable is too little for quiet passages, but just about adequate for louder passages. In my view the maximum volume is inadequate for listening on a normal commercial plane.

When importing CDs into the iTunes on my PC, I found that the accuracy of some of the information about the pieces is rather variable, and not available for some CDs (even some from 'mainstream' labels). The same comment also applies to the optional album cover images - some are completely wrong. I prefer to edit the composer name to put the composer's surname at the start of the field (e.g. Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus instead of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart) to make it easier to find pieces by composer. However these are really comments about the accuracy of data available rather than the iPod itself.

The ability to find music by composer and other searching on iPod I have found to be really good.

I also bought the leather flap-up case (not Apple) from Amazon. Whilst this is excellent in terms of easy of use and the protection it provides, I do think that the 'build' quality of the case is rather disappointing in comparison with the iPod itself.

Overall, I am very happy with my purchase. With the benefit of hindsight, I am not sure I needed 160GB of storage (but I am not complaining) and the maximum volume limitations are a little annoying when travelling. Otherwise highly recommended.
77 comments155 of 165 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 February 2012
I have had my 160GB ipod classic for 13 months and it has just registered a fault saying it is corrupt. There is no reason for this as far as I know (i.e. I never disconnect without ejecting first etc). I followed all Apple's troubleshooting advice and researched on lots of forums to find out how it can be fixed as it has functioned perfectly until now. I have tried everything to get this fixed but nothing works and have been told it is cheaper to buy a new ipod than to get it repaired. This is a common known fault with Apple, apparently linked to the latest version of itunes (though reinstalling an older version does not help) and thousands upon thousands of people are suffering the same thing but Apple has no other solution other than 'buy another ipod'. Funny that most of the people I saw posting about this found that this error came up when the ipod was just out of warranty.....
44 comments45 of 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 November 2013
I looked after my i-pod classic as well as i possibly could, but the disc corrupted and I have lost the whole thing! Reading the feedback here it looks like this is a common fault. But as Apple and I-tunes seem to have no interest in giving direct feedback to customers and I was even told they have no complaints procedure I guess they will do nothing about this.
on 20 May 2011
I bought an iPod classic to use in my car, just to save my iPhone getting thrown about the car and being fought over on long journeys... Very impressed.
The 160GB is more than enough for me, I have about 3 series of TV shows on it, and at least 6 films, on top of that just under 3000 songs. The iPod hasn't struggled a bit! Perfect for carrying everything on your computer with you. Or in my case, MORE than everything on my computer.

It's a durable little thing too. It's been dropped, thrown, stood on, bitten... you get the idea. It's basically managed to put up with the stresses and strains of my car since the day I got it. Even when my younger brothers and sisters took a liking to it, it managed to stand up to them.

I have absolutely NO complaints with this thing, and I would recommend it to anyone. Be it someone who needs something for the sturdiness of it or a tech-head that loves their gadgets. It's perfect for everyone! 5 star. I would give it 6 if I could.
on 2 December 2009
Basically delighted with the new Ipod.
Only complaint is that there seems to be a volume limiter built in.
When turned up to the max, volume is fine in a normal environment, but struggles a bit on the underground or in noisy traffic.
Also, Ipod is black; earphones are white. How silly is that?
Service from Amazon - brilliant as always
22 comments20 of 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 May 2010
Ok, so you've read all the reviews below, majority of them singing the praises of the iPod Classic. However, there are some niggling issues that seem to crop up, so here is my view on them:

Volume: Yes, it's been capped (blame the EU, as if you didn't already need a reason), and if you listen to classic, or 'older' songs you may notice this fact. It can be remedied to an extent by right clicking individual songs within iTunes and adjusting the volume (this can be done to +/-100% of the original). Not the best/simplest solution, and you may experience some distortion if you push it too far.

DVD Ripping: There appears to be no desire on Apple's part to introduce this to iTunes, however, it is straight forward enough to do it yourself. Download some DVD ripping software (plenty kicking around for free), and also an mp4 converter (most of these will have an option that converts the files to fit iPod Classic screens without losing quality). Once the DVD is ripped, use the converter to change the file from .avi to .mp4. Add the new mp4 file to iTunes, and enjoy! Yes, it's an extra bit of effort, but to be honest doesn't take too much longer.

iTunes: Once you've used it for 30 minutes, the simple user interface becomes familiar, and adding songs/albums is a doddle if you take the time to read instructions. Naming songs, adding artwork etc, is all done with simply clicking the songs and editing them. In regards to the cost on iTunes, the simple answer is don't buy from it if you don't want to! Buy a CD and rip it to iTunes!

Misc: Dropping it/scratches - happens with all mp3 players, the iPod is no less susceptible. Buy a protective cover if you're worried.

Those seem to be the major issues people have, but I can honestly say it's the best and sturdiest bit of kit I've had. The iPod Classic is simple, elegant and with massive capacity. The major plus point is the fact it still has 'manual' controls, which is a bonus for when you're at the gym, or flicking through songs. For me that is where the iPod touch falls down.

One thing though, buy some new earphones, as that's the only thing that isn't great!