on 1 September 2010
I took up the two-week free subscription offer on 27th August 2010. Delivery started the next day. The Kindle automatically selects from Wifi (first choice) and GSM delivery methods and even when overseas on GPRS networks, delivery is smooth and takes only a minute or two maximum from switch on.

No advertisements are included. Thus you might miss an important product or conference announcement. Cartoons, the weather, the crossword, TV programming, some small news items, all the data (including frustratingly the currency tables) are all missing. Only a small number of pictures and graphs are included, and whilst pictures are just of use, they are very small and in the case of graphics the legends are mostly unreadable. There is a facility to enlarge and zoom but I could never master the very slow and awkward process.

On Saturdays, you miss the entire magazine, which is surprising, since it is predominantly a text document.

The formating is good in the main, but the designers seem to have forgotten that the Kindle is page orientated rather than a scrolling reader. This means that page breaks often happen in silly places, for example in the middle of a headline, or in the middle of a long sentence. Ideally they would format paragraphs or at least sentences to be contained on a single page. There are occasional hyphens which end up in the middle of a line,
for example: "head-lines". Sometimes there are text mixups with wrong words or letters appearing for no apparent reason. Although the Kindle is also a browser, hyperlinks in columns like Martin Lukes' do not work.

In summary the design of the FT on the Kindle doesn't yet appear to have been tailored to fulfill the Kindle's potential. For example they have not implemented the hyperlinks, nor is there any easy permanent keyword facility. The page forward mechanism is fine, but a "double click" would better take you to the next article. Etc.

So far, not all good news.

But the surprise is how effective the reading is on the Kindle. Perhaps because of the font size, or even the smallish screen: the absorption of the story seems much higher; I found I could remember much more about the articles afterwards. This might seem a small point but it is really noticable.

A real benefit is that you get free delivery when overseas via the GSM wireless network (3G or GPRS). I went for a short trip in remote rural Andelucia, and found each morning my FT was delivered before dawn with no charge at all! I was miles from anywhere but within GSM coverage. Normally I find it difficult to find the FT outside main cities and to recieve the UK edition first thing for no charge is a real bonus.

All in all, I am staying with my paper copy, (£500 a year; ouch). But for trips away from the UK, I can see a real cost-saving use. For short trips, it would be good if the daily subscription could be turned on and off like a paper subscription can, or if there was say a weekly subscription. As you can guess, I pay for my subscription; if your company's shareholders pay, you may be more relaxed about this!

In summary, I still like my physical copy best. But I would go for the FT on the Kindle when overseas, when on the plane, the train or bus, for reading in bed, or on the beach; perhaps even in a boring meeting!

The subscription comes with a free 14-day trial, so you can try it without cost. The subscription process is simple and works well.

One other niggle; the Kindle seems to have stability problems, freezing-up and either automatically re-booting or needing a tedious manual reset. They need to fix that and I presume Amazon will in due course. (No data/books were lost.)
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 January 2011
I really enjoyed waking up and finding my FT on my Kindle to read over breakfast - it works very well, is convenient to use and I think I did read more of it. However, I would have liked to have been able to combine my Kindle subscription with an online subscription rather than having to pay twice for effectively the same content. As the cost of a standard online subscription is the same as for a Kindle subscription but the website has much more functionality it seems better value to have an online subscription. So for now I am not going to confirm my Kindle subscription until there is some kind of joint offering.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 October 2010
I subscribed to the FT the same day I received my Kindle. Got the first issue within minutes of placing my order. The product has met my exectations as I have been wanting to subscribe to FT for some time but they do not deliver hardcopy papers to my home and with the online version I won't have time to read it until I get home in the evening at which point some of it would be 'old' news.
With the Kindle subscription, I open my Kindle in the morning at breakfast or on the train and its there to hand. I do not need to deal with using two hands or folding the newspaper to read and turn pages. The indexing of the articles means I can jump to Markets or UK Companies. The search function is also useful. If I know something is going on at a particular company I can perform a search of the current issue and it will take me directly to the article(s).
The Kindle is also easier on the eyes than the FT coloured hardcopy.

You don't get market tables. However that is not a problem for me as I can look at it on the office newspaper copy and if there is a significant movement of note, it would likey be covered by an article anyway.

Also there are no adverts which means you can miss out on important notices, but for the convenience Kindle subscription brings thats a minor trade off.

Overal I'm happy with the product and at > £1 per issue I will definitely be keeping the subscription when the trial offer is over.
on 24 October 2010
Overall this has made my life a LOT easier. I never have the time, or space on my busy tube journey, to physically flick through the entire FT each morning. It is also costly to buy the paper version (think it's £2 per day). Using is also not an option for me, as most of my commute is underground, and I like to read the paper before I arrive at work. With the Kindle version, I am able to browse and read all the articles, even underground. It delivers itself wirelessly each morning, and I then access it when I'm on the train. I don't read the entire thing - always the front page articles (which are helpfully categorised in a section called `Front page'), the companies and markets section and Lex. All sections are categorised and you can browse through the headlines (with a small intro) for each article. There is also a useful feature that enables you to `clip' articles that are then saved automatically to the clippings section of your kindle so you can store them for easy and future reference. I tend to use this a lot.

There are some drawbacks, which I ought to point out here, although to be honest these are small things. For example, I have heard that not all articles are included - although I think I normally see what I need to. The other drawback is the lack of pictures, graphs etc - although for key articles, pictures are included. I would also like the articles on the kindle version to make some reference to which page they are on in the paper version. Somehow this helps me understand the importance / prominence of each news item. I would also like to be able to browse through the headlines of the entire paper. For example, at the moment I have to browse through the `Companies and Markets' article list, and then `Companies and Markets UK', and then `Companies and Markets World'. I wish these were all in one list.

Overall, what you are getting is the FT - you can read all the important news of the day with little chance of missing anything. If you are the kind of person that likes to sit back with your breakfast and read the paper from cover to cover, this is not for you. For those who are in a rush in the mornings, or have a busy commute, it is ideal - a LOT more convenient than reading a huge paper.
on 23 February 2011
Someone clearly takes effort with the Kindle FT but not nearly enough. Too much is missing for too high a price point. This ought to be like shooting fish in a barrel for this publisher. Getting it first thing in the morning is great and it is much easier to navigate with the updated kindle firmware but I wont pay to subsidise early adoption-not when there is so little incentive. Trial cancelled at day seven. Such a shame.
on 2 January 2013
Bought my husband a Kindle Fire for Xmas, and he's totally loving the gadget. However his use of it would be greatly enhanced (beyond endless Angry Birds sessions and rugby books) if the FT for Kindle app was available for the Fire ... and more to the point if it was included in his existing website subscription. So he'll be accessing FT content via the website on the Kindle instead ...

FT, why can your website subscribers access the digital edition as included in their subscription on other Android and iOs tablets/ smartphones, but not on the Kindle? Smells of bad sales and marketing to me.
on 21 March 2013
Financial Times - UK Edition
I enjoy getting the FT on my Kindle. It is easy to read on a packed train or tube, it's not like trying to fold an OS Map! I find it a lot faster to read than the hardcopy, flicking through articles is very easy and the content works well on the Kindle format. I also find myself reading more of the FT and absorbing more as well.

BUT, and it is a major but, if I forget to turn on my WIFI the Kindle will of course not download that day's issue of the FT. That's fine. But the issue is that it will NEVER download that day's issue. The Kindle will only download the most recent issue of the FT. That would be fine if you were paying per issue, but you are not.

If your Kindle cannot access the internet for a complete day you will not and never can get that day's FT issue and your money goes down the drain.

That is ridiculous.

If you phone the FT they do not want to know, as apparently the Kindle subscription has nothing to do with them.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 August 2013
My first job was as a desk editor for academic publications. My mission was to make sure existing texts were clearly legible, to correct typesetters' mistakes, to make sure that picture captions were clearly separate from texts etc. In short: to make sure the reader experience was not unnecessarily interrupted. It was a modest job, but my near-retirement boss assured me it was highly important. Since subscribing to the FT Kindle edition, I realize he was right. It's in many of the other reviews, but there are regular toe-curling, avoidable mistakes. E.g. in a recent weekend edition, famous people were asked about their holiday destinations, but we only got text without any indication of the people interviewed. There are random typeset errors like 'f inancial ti-mes'. There's a lot more, but for now my conclusion is that this edition is just about good enough to stay on top of the latest content. I'm now thinking of getting an internet subscription with the paper FT Weekend.
on 9 March 2011
I have been trying out the FT Kindle edition for a few days now. Here is what I think:

The formatting needs vast improvement. It is basically a dump of the paper edition articles onto Kindle with some graphics and photographs missing but with the addition of a front page table to help you get to the right section quickly (which is actually very good). The main problem for me is that the Kindle formatting separates linked articles (or a main and a subsidiary article) on the same subject into two or more separate articles. You can't tell that two articles are on the same subject until you actually go into each one individually. Also, in the paper edition sometimes you have a photograph or an opening paragraph which will put a cryptic headline into context. With the Kindle edition, sometimes you need to go into the article to figure out what is the topic.

The content is good; it is basically the same as the paper edition without the ads, appointments page and data tables.

I am not sure who the target audience for the Kindle edition is. It is obviously a lot cheaper than the paper, it is conveniently delivered and it is easy to carry. However, if you want to flick through the FT, get a broad update of the news and concentrate on a few articles in depth, this can be done much more quickly with the paper.

Finally, if you get any pleasure from reading, that's all gone (lack of photos, regimented layout, etc.).

I will not be subscribing.

I have had to amend my original review and add another star (now 3***), as I have now discovered the "View Articles List" option at the bottom of the page which lets you see the titles of the articles together with the first few lines of text which actually helps to put them in context and decide which ones you want to delve into.

The bottom line is that it takes quite a bit of getting used to and I may eventually be convinced to subscribe!!!
on 17 June 2013
With my annual subscription to the FT coming up for renewal, I decided to try out the Kindle app as an alternative which is both less expensive and avoids cutting down trees and transporting stuff around the place.

The first week of my trial I ran on my phone while walking in the Shetlands. I was very pleased with the app's effectiveness in allowing me to read the FT's content on my phone: they seem to have sorted out the problems mentioned in earlier reviews about navigating around the articles The problems which I had were with getting a good enough mobile phone signal for long enough to be able to download an entire issue (you aren't able to read anything if it fails to download an entire issue). In this respect the Kindle version is much better than the FT's own ePaper as the very small images mean that an entire issue is roughly 5 Mb rather than 50 Mb. It is also much better than as the entire issue is cached on your machine so you are still able to access all the articles when you are out of signal. One oddity: on my phone the characters "fl" came out as the symbol ">" so I read about ">ights" and ">owers".

I returned home for the second week of my trial and switched to using an 8" tablet. The larger display makes the app even better here than on the phone. Yet the ready availability of the physical newspaper as an alternative highlights the real problem with the technology: it's just not up to being used where light levels are high. I like to read in my conservatory. With a physical newspaper it is pure pleasure. With a tablet I am struggling.

With regret, I renewed my subscription to the physical FT and cancelled my trial of the Kindle version.