Shop now Shop now Shop Black Friday Deals Refreshed in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Paperwhite Listen in Prime Shop Now Shop now

on 14 November 2010
This light has a number of poor design features:-
1) The mounting screws provided are far larger than the holes in the case and would likely split the case. This requires that you either drill or file out the existing holes to accommodate the screws.
2)The cover to the connector block has very little clearance for the wiring - it's very fiddly to fit.
3)The model I received had the connector block mounted with the live wire to the bulb jammed across the top so that it was impossible to connect the incoming mains cable until the complete block had been removed and the internal wiring re-routed and re-connected.
4)The screws for the cable clamp are so small I had to use a jeweller's screwdriver to fit them.
Once installed it has worked OK.
PS for the reviewer who couldn't open the case to insert the bulb: it requires a screwdriver blade inserted in slots in the outer case and used to force the slightly flexible casing open so that the mounting lugs of transparent light cover can pop free. You have to do this four times, once for each lug.
on 7 September 2010
This is third outdoor dawn to dusk lamp I've bought. It will be going out to Bulgaria to light our outdoors at night.
Easy to fit, takes energy efficient bulbs - so low cost, 6 watt night time usage - and much better than motion sensor lamps which continue to fail.
Excellent price, quality and speedy delivery.
on 3 January 2011
I have had a total of 3 of these units lighting my property for over 6 years now. One of the original 3 failed after 4 years but the other two are still going strong. Unllike PIR security lights which switch on for a small time when they detect movement, this model of light switches on at dusk and then switches off again at dawn. They are all installed in exposed positions and have put up with driving rain, low temperatures (minus 15 on a few occasions), snow, hail and everything else that Scottish weather can throw at them. This says a lot about their construction and reliability. After trying unsuccessfully to source another identical light, I bought a PIR security light to replace the one that failed and it barely lasted a year before giving up the ghost. I then bought another PIR light (different manufacturer) and it has recently failed after just 10 months! Needless to say I have just purchased a Byron Elro after re-discovering them on Amazon!

Bulbs are a little awkward to change as you have to use a flat-blade screwdriver to lever off the lens at 4 points around the lamp. This requires a degree of controlled force and a little perseverance as sometimes the cover springs back into the mounts when you are levering off the lens at another point. A good consequence of this is that it certainly makes unauthorised tampering with the light difficult. Also the tight fit of the lens will undoubtedly contribute to making the unit more weather-proof, thus enhancing reliability. On balance the awkwardness of lens removal is offset by the security and weatherproofing benefits. The internal wiring connectors, however, make fitting the light tricky due to the cable clamp screws (too small) and cable routing, but as long as you take your time and use the right tools it is a fairly straight-forward install.

As you can use low energy bulbs the light is very cheap to run, and the bulbs required use standard screw-in fittings (E27 caps) so they can be bought everywhere for little money.

All-in-all this is a very good product at a low price. If I could, I would have given this product a 4.5/5 review but unfortunately this is not possible. One star is therefore reluctantly removed for the slightly tricky light installation problems as it would have been easy for the manufacturer to use bigger screws in the cable clamp and tidy up the cable routing.

For the price though it really is very hard to complain too loudly given their toughness and reliability. Great product! Recommended!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 24 January 2013
Bought to replace a bulkhead light under a porch roof, this one was easy enough to fit, but it does seem to take ages after daylight has come to switch off. So I have deducted one star for that.
Seems watertight enough - the one it replaced was forever getting filled with rain water and the bulb kept blowing. This one has been up a while now and has withstood the rain.

It does the job and for a very reasonable price.

EDIT - December 2013.
The bulb stopped working - even though it was one of those ten year ones - why? The unit was full of water.
So I have emptied the water out and put in a new bulb.
The lid was really tricky to remove, too. No screws to unfasten, just some slots that you have to prise open, which is a nightmare when you know you are probably going to get the water inside sloshed all over you!
So I have deducted another star.
on 3 January 2011
arrived on time,great product,safe and secure, dawn to dusk lights, fit them and forget them, you can see when they are on,
on 28 September 2011
It's fairly cheapish looking, but it's value for money. My wife thinks it looks good so it must be! We use it in a windy location with plenty of sea salt in the air! It will therefore be put through it's paces. Gives a good light, switches itself on a night and off in the morning, so it's on all night! Wife likes the security aspect of this, and I have wired it through a switch (which was already there fortunately!) so option to switch off at night (to save my bill!). Fairly easy to install for the average DIY person. The seals around the light look very adequate. Recommended.
Well it has been installed for 18 months now. It keeps blowing the bulbs every 2 months, although we do have it on all night for security, (60W max in the unit), tried all sorts or bulbs. Went for a halogen, it may have blown the unit! Downgrade recommendation from Recommended. Agree with other comments, the cover is a pain in the *** to remove. The plastic has hardened around the lugs, and you need to be very careful not to break the plastic surround. In the absence of anything decent, and the fact that I have already drilled the holes for this unit, I am going to buy 1 more! But I am questioning my sanity!
on 13 October 2012
I bought this item to replace a dusk to dawn light that I have had for some years. Some reviews say its fiddly to get the front cover off as you have to prize it apart with a screw driver, well this is a similar design as my old one although a different make so that was no problem, quite easy once you get the knack. One review I read said they understood this light is for indoor use only, if that's the case why is it advertised as weather & corrosion resistant? I have installed it on the end of my shed, it's an ideal safety / security device. My opinion is it's a good solid easy to install practical very reasonably priced product.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 January 2013
1. This item was bought to replace what appeared to be the exact replica of my defunct one.Instead I found that the internals had been re-arranged & a fuse was no longer fitted.
2. the fitting diagrams do not adequately explain the procedure & problems I encountered -it took me nearly an hour to fit that should have been just 15 mins because of poor design.
3.removal of the plastic dome to get at the internals requires careful insertion of a flat-bladed screwdriver in 4 lugs-great care needs to be taken to avoid cracking the dome or the light body, as it is a very tight fit.
4.It was necessary to remove the lamp holder(difficult as the screws were covered by the thick cabling to it)& the screw Terminal block complete to access the supply cable at rear to make the necessary connections-all this could have been avoided by more careful design.
5.Replacing the dome required sharp,heavy bangs on it with the worry of damaging one or more of the tiny plastic lugs.
6. if a Bishop tried to install this perched atop a ladder he would most likely want to kick a hole in a stained -glass window in frustration.There is no substitute for clear, written guidance
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 16 January 2014
There might be better but I like to go with what I know to be good and do the job. The one this replaced is at least ten years old and has been outside on my garage switching on and off every day since. Eventually the rain got in and killed the auto function but after so long at such a reasonable price I bought another. It does what I want and does it daily. It is worth saying that I use a low energy 11 watt lamp in it which fits fine considering it is slightly taller than the ordinary incandescent bulbs used.

Update November 2014:
Oh Dear! It failed. The lamp is OK, the fuse is OK, the wiring is OK. It seems the sensor has failed and it will mean rewiring it to use a timer at the plug as with the previous one. However, the first lasted ten years, this one ten months.I still had one of the original lights of the same make as both of these but never installed because it has a motion sensor. I fitted this one instead and it is working OK and used the older bayonet lamps which I have several of.. Meanwhile this just failed light unit one has been rejigged and will use a timer next time it is re-installed.
on 8 October 2012
This light came within a few days and was very easy to fit and is very sturdy, i have seen some reviews stating that the lid was hard to remove, this is total rubbish, its a nice firm fit that will not let in water etc. works well; i bought an 11 watt energy saving bulb and its brilliant.