on 14 November 2010
This light has a number of poor design features:-
1) The mounting screws provided are far larger than the holes in the case and would likely split the case. This requires that you either drill or file out the existing holes to accommodate the screws.
2)The cover to the connector block has very little clearance for the wiring - it's very fiddly to fit.
3)The model I received had the connector block mounted with the live wire to the bulb jammed across the top so that it was impossible to connect the incoming mains cable until the complete block had been removed and the internal wiring re-routed and re-connected.
4)The screws for the cable clamp are so small I had to use a jeweller's screwdriver to fit them.
Once installed it has worked OK.
PS for the reviewer who couldn't open the case to insert the bulb: it requires a screwdriver blade inserted in slots in the outer case and used to force the slightly flexible casing open so that the mounting lugs of transparent light cover can pop free. You have to do this four times, once for each lug.
on 3 January 2011
I have had a total of 3 of these units lighting my property for over 6 years now. One of the original 3 failed after 4 years but the other two are still going strong. Unllike PIR security lights which switch on for a small time when they detect movement, this model of light switches on at dusk and then switches off again at dawn. They are all installed in exposed positions and have put up with driving rain, low temperatures (minus 15 on a few occasions), snow, hail and everything else that Scottish weather can throw at them. This says a lot about their construction and reliability. After trying unsuccessfully to source another identical light, I bought a PIR security light to replace the one that failed and it barely lasted a year before giving up the ghost. I then bought another PIR light (different manufacturer) and it has recently failed after just 10 months! Needless to say I have just purchased a Byron Elro after re-discovering them on Amazon!

Bulbs are a little awkward to change as you have to use a flat-blade screwdriver to lever off the lens at 4 points around the lamp. This requires a degree of controlled force and a little perseverance as sometimes the cover springs back into the mounts when you are levering off the lens at another point. A good consequence of this is that it certainly makes unauthorised tampering with the light difficult. Also the tight fit of the lens will undoubtedly contribute to making the unit more weather-proof, thus enhancing reliability. On balance the awkwardness of lens removal is offset by the security and weatherproofing benefits. The internal wiring connectors, however, make fitting the light tricky due to the cable clamp screws (too small) and cable routing, but as long as you take your time and use the right tools it is a fairly straight-forward install.

As you can use low energy bulbs the light is very cheap to run, and the bulbs required use standard screw-in fittings (E27 caps) so they can be bought everywhere for little money.

All-in-all this is a very good product at a low price. If I could, I would have given this product a 4.5/5 review but unfortunately this is not possible. One star is therefore reluctantly removed for the slightly tricky light installation problems as it would have been easy for the manufacturer to use bigger screws in the cable clamp and tidy up the cable routing.

For the price though it really is very hard to complain too loudly given their toughness and reliability. Great product! Recommended!
on 7 September 2010
This is third outdoor dawn to dusk lamp I've bought. It will be going out to Bulgaria to light our outdoors at night.
Easy to fit, takes energy efficient bulbs - so low cost, 6 watt night time usage - and much better than motion sensor lamps which continue to fail.
Excellent price, quality and speedy delivery.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 24 January 2013
Bought to replace a bulkhead light under a porch roof, this one was easy enough to fit, but it does seem to take ages after daylight has come to switch off. So I have deducted one star for that.
Seems watertight enough - the one it replaced was forever getting filled with rain water and the bulb kept blowing. This one has been up a while now and has withstood the rain.

It does the job and for a very reasonable price.

EDIT - December 2013.
The bulb stopped working - even though it was one of those ten year ones - why? The unit was full of water.
So I have emptied the water out and put in a new bulb.
The lid was really tricky to remove, too. No screws to unfasten, just some slots that you have to prise open, which is a nightmare when you know you are probably going to get the water inside sloshed all over you!
So I have deducted another star.
on 3 February 2016
The product comes with a visual instruction book and quite comprehensive detail of how to wire and mount the Bulkhead Light.
A little difficult to prise off the plastic cover, to fit a screw fitting bulb. I opted for a low voltage energy type bulb which fits into the case perfectly.

The screw used for covering the electric connection block are a little basic and are of a philips head variety and could easily be rounded off if care isn't taken.

The light should only be mounted vertically according to the fitting instructions, but that didn't suit the location I wanted to mount it and as a Bulkhead light would be more suited to a horizontal fitting.(After a week I have had no issues with the light fitting it Horizontally)

The dawn till dusk feature works well and Im happy with the amount of light such a compact lamp produces.

So overall for the price - the item is solid enough, care must be taken with some of the screws, but it does the job.
review image
on 28 September 2011
It's fairly cheapish looking, but it's value for money. My wife thinks it looks good so it must be! We use it in a windy location with plenty of sea salt in the air! It will therefore be put through it's paces. Gives a good light, switches itself on a night and off in the morning, so it's on all night! Wife likes the security aspect of this, and I have wired it through a switch (which was already there fortunately!) so option to switch off at night (to save my bill!). Fairly easy to install for the average DIY person. The seals around the light look very adequate. Recommended.
Well it has been installed for 18 months now. It keeps blowing the bulbs every 2 months, although we do have it on all night for security, (60W max in the unit), tried all sorts or bulbs. Went for a halogen, it may have blown the unit! Downgrade recommendation from Recommended. Agree with other comments, the cover is a pain in the *** to remove. The plastic has hardened around the lugs, and you need to be very careful not to break the plastic surround. In the absence of anything decent, and the fact that I have already drilled the holes for this unit, I am going to buy 1 more! But I am questioning my sanity!
on 3 January 2011
arrived on time,great product,safe and secure, dawn to dusk lights, fit them and forget them, you can see when they are on,
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 14 May 2016
Great value all made from plastic so no rust, was a bit of a faff to fit ( having to partially disassemble the insides in order to fit the cable) but once up it does the job. It switches on a little early for my taste but that's just a minor niggle.
I've had it working for over seven months all through the winter using a LED lightbulb and so far its performed perfectly. I would happily recommend it.
on 10 November 2015
This item will give you big problems, believe it or not it sends harmonics back down the neutral and RCD,s wont stay on with them, I had two and both did it, you will need an oscilloscope to see what I mean, but no good if you have an RCD on the circuit, beware took me a while its only because I have a degree in electronics I though there was something deeper at fault and looked into it.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 16 January 2014
There might be better but I like to go with what I know to be good and do the job. The one this replaced is at least ten years old and has been outside on my garage switching on and off every day since. Eventually the rain got in and killed the auto function but after so long at such a reasonable price I bought another. It does what I want and does it daily. It is worth saying that I use a low energy 11 watt lamp in it which fits fine considering it is slightly taller than the ordinary incandescent bulbs used.

Update November 2014:
Oh Dear! It failed. The lamp is OK, the fuse is OK, the wiring is OK. It seems the sensor has failed and it will mean rewiring it to use a timer at the plug as with the previous one. However, the first lasted ten years, this one ten months.I still had one of the original lights of the same make as both of these but never installed because it has a motion sensor. I fitted this one instead and it is working OK and used the older bayonet lamps which I have several of.. Meanwhile this just failed light unit one has been rejigged and will use a timer next time it is re-installed.