Style Name: UK versionChange

on 4 September 2012
I bought this to replace a MX Revolution that was dying after five years of heavy use. My first impression is that this is a downgrade in many respects, but only a small one. Here are points to consider for other people moving from a Revolution:

The same
- The shape and feel is roughly similar. If the Revolution fits your hand, this should fit too. It's a little longer, but not obnoxiously so.
- Good response, etc. This one is supposed to be better on difficult surfaces, and that may well be true - I haven't tested it on any.
- Build quality feels good - as it should at the price - and I've no reason to think this won't last me another five years.

- The battery is now a replaceable rechargeable NiMH, and it charges through MicroUSB. The charging socket is at the front of the mouse, so it can be used while charging, with the cable being positioned roughly like the cable on a wired mouse. I don't know how the life compares as yet, but since recharging is less of a chore it matters less.
- Mouse response on difficult surfaces is claimed to be better - not tested.
- Tiny USB adaptor. (A "unified" one so you can share it with a Logitech wireless keyboard if you have one)

- The wheel no longer automatically switches between ratcheted and free-spinning depending on speed. Instead, you can switch it by pressing the (mechanical) button behind the wheel.
- That little button behind the wheel, being a mechanical switch, is no longer mappable. I used to have that as the middle button and use clicking-the-wheel to swap wheel modes. That's no longer possible. For the same reason, I don't think it's possible to have the wheel change mode according to the application you're in.
- There's a much less positive click when pushing the wheel left or right. It works well, it's just not always obvious that it's worked.
- The "second wheel" on the left hand side of the Revolution has been replaced by two buttons (mapped by default to zoom and task switch). These are nicely positioned, but don't have the wheel's benefit of having up to three functions positioned right under your thumb without moving it.
- The total number of mappable actions is reduced by two (one from the wheel, one from the button on top that is now fixed to wheel-mode).
- The forward/back buttons feel a little more awkward to reach - but this may just be a matter of getting used to a slightly different layout.

Overall, I'd rather have another MX Revolution, but in its absence this is a good replacement.
on 26 April 2010
I was an early adopter of laser technology, I bought the first laser mouse Logitech MX1000 when it was released many years ago and it survived until recently when the middle button stopped working. Not a major breakdown, everything else functioned fine, but a significant problem for me nontheless.

Always reliable, I decided to go for Logitech again, and was very attracted to the very tiny Unifying USB dongle. A lot of people settle for a cheap mouse, you can get them for a few quid, but since it is something so important, something in constant use and so integral to computer use, I believe it is worth spending a decent amount on a mouse that does the job well. The Unifying dongle really is tiny. Once plugged into a USB port it sticks out maybe half an inch. This makes it ideal for laptops, it can just be plugged in and forgot about since it doesn't get in the way like the larger dongles.

The mouse itself is very ergonomically shaped to be as comfortable as possible, for right handed people at least. The thumb rests comfortably on a nice curved indentation, and there are 4 buttons easily accessed by a thumb press in this position. The mouse is quite light, so it glides easily across any surface. The new Darkfield technology means there are few surfaces that this mouse cannot be used on, even glass which I believe is a first for mice. Even on conventional surfaces, it is a noticeable difference in response. No stray hairs or clumps of dust have stopped this mouse yet, from day one the movement has been smooth and responsive.

The scroll wheel is a breath of fresh air. With a toggle button positioned below it, the wheel can either scroll incrementally like most mice, or it can be changed to a super-smooth free-scrolling mode which makes it easy to glide through large pages and just feels brilliantly light. It can also be pushed side to side to scroll through wide documents, a function I couldn't do without.

There are enough buttons to satisfy a gamer like me, and the smooth and light form makes an ideal gaming mouse. Using the Logitech Setpoint software you can even set a button to change DPI to make the mouse more or less sensitive depending on what you're using it for. Plus this software allows you to change any button on the mouse to function how you want it, and also program specific settings mean a button can do different things depending on the software you're using.

The mouse runs on a single rechargeable AA battery (included). The mouse can be charged via the packaged USB cable (which also has an adapter for a mains plug), but this causes no down-time at all, you can charge the mouse plugged in via USB while still using it.

This mouse is top of the range. If you want comfort, control and reliability from your primary method of input, then you can't go wrong with this.
on 28 November 2009
If you use a computer for any great length of time in certain industries, you soon appreciate how important a good mouse is. I've tried the Logitech Laser mouse before this but buttons were in the wrong place, one button was located under the tip of your thumb, didn't work. But the MX Performance seems to have got it just right, fully customisable and the lower thumb button feels natural to use. The scroll wheel also has a speed button which is fast becoming a 'can't live without' feature.

I migrated from PC to Mac, so a compatible mouse was important (one button was never going to cut it with me) and the MX ticks all the boxes if you're a Mac user, a quick download and you're ready to use. Comfort wise, like all Logitech mice of this standard it fits snuggly into the palm of your hand, buttons have a light but solid feel and are placed just right for my hand. Tracking is smooth and precise, I've not tried it on glass yet, but I don't have a glass table. The mouse is also surprisingly light despite having a re-chargeble battery, incidentally the battery life is good so far, well I haven't charged it since purchase!

The only downside to the MX is possibly the price, it's not cheap, but I've wasted so much on mice that just don't work for me and this is a product that will undoubtedly last and will not be replaced for a long time.
on 15 March 2010
I use it as a "laptop everywhere" mouse. I am very happy with it.

When my laptop goes into the docking station, I use it as a desktop mouse (so I only have the keyboard attached), as the unifying adapter stays plugged into the laptop. As the unifying adapter works with many peripherals, I could just get a wireless Logitech keyboard (like K800), and leave near the docking station.
I also use this mouse as a remote controller when watching movies from the sofa. I was planning to get an infrared remote, but this gets the job done, too.

I like:
- All surfaces really (vs. MS Bluetrack doesn't work on a highly transparent surface, like glass kitchen table)
- Scroll-wheel can be switched to freewheel and rotary-click on the fly. This is the same cool as the Darkfield technology.
- DPI low/high can be changed on the fly (will have to sacrifice one of the buttons, ex. zoom or application switcher, though), the battery leds blink when dpi is changed
- Application switcher thumb button (although this is different from XP/Vista/7 built in features and only works with the Logitech software)
- Battery can be charged during use; battery can be replaced to use standard AA alkaline battery; Three leds show the battery level
- Can work in parallel with another mouse
- Small radio transmitter (so great for laptops carried in a bag, too)
- No pairing required, just switch on, and it works (vs. Bluetooth and older wireless mouses need pairing and/or connect )
- On-off switch (saves battery power)
- No lag after idle
- No silly blue led that would illuminate

I didn't like (these are just minor things):
- Logitech driver feels old-school (low res icon graphics, non-standard dialogs and menus).
- Ergonomics are fine, just too futuristic for my liking (I prefer the MS/Razor Habu Gaming mouse ergonomics).
- This is unavoidable, but the receiver takes up 1 of 4 USB slots constantly in my laptop (vs Bluetooth mouse can work with built-in bluetooth; however, I don't know how reliable is that)
- Application switcher not fast and smooth enough, so I rarely use it.
- Image zoom works in IrfanView 4.25, but doesn't work in Picasa 3.6.0 (under Windows XP).
- Back-Forward buttons are small for my liking; I prefer the huge buttons on the MS/Razor Habu ergonomics).
- Supplied USB cable is too rigid for mouse use. I use the cable of my Nokia phone, which is much softer.

In the box:
- Mouse
- Unifying transmitter
- USB cable with micro USB connector (cable also works with my Nokia phone, and can charge the mouse with Nokia charger)
- Power adapter has USB socket (compact size, works with the micro USB cable to charge the mouse or any other device, useful for overnight charging)
- USB extender cable (I've never used it)
- 2000 mAh AA NiMH battery GSYUASA EniTime (Sanyo eneloop style, keeps the charge)
- Soft carry bag for the cables (the mouse won't fit in this)
- Driver CD (outdated drives, download from a fresh copy)
- Quick manual

I tried with Windows XP/Vista/7, worked well with all of them.
I think all mouse sensors will switch to the Darkfield or similar technology in 5+ years; it is so good.
I cannot tell of the battery life yet, and didn't try it with games. Very clean glass surfaces need a few minutes to get to work (so the surface gets dusty), as the sensor uses the dust particles to track the position.
It can be used in parallel with a wired mouse on the desktop (ie two mouses connected at the same time).

This is really a "has it all" type of mouse. I recommend both for laptop and desktop use.
For laptops, I recommend it over the Logitech MX Anywhere mouse, as this one can be charged/used with the USB cable, and works on more surfaces than the MS Bluetrack range. Furthermore, the large-sized MS desktop mouses have a huge USB key style adapter, which are not comfortable for laptop use.
Products referred:
Logitech MX Anywhere Mouse (Tracks on Glass)
Microsoft Explorer Mouse with Bluetrack
Microsoft Habu Laser Gaming Mouse

Update (2011 Feb):
* My current Dell E4310 has merely two USB slots - so there is just one left for pendrive, webcam, external HDD, headset, card reader.
* Now I have Windows 7, works well.
* The middle button click in Firefox opens up a link in a new tab - somehow this only works after 3-4 click. I don't know if this is a problem with an addon in * Firefox, or a Mouse driver issue.
* I use one of the additional keys (Application switcher) to switch on off my 2nd screen, and the other auxiliary button (zoom) to move windows from one screen to the other. A great feature.
* Instead of charging, I just bring a box of four Sanyo Eneloop batteries with me when I travel, and swap when low on battery.
* Battery lasts about 2-3 weeks without switching off the mouse and daily use.

Update (2012 Jan):
The middle button click was erratic in all applications (but it seems I used it mainly in Firefox).
Logitech customer support told me to send the mouse back for warranty at the point of purchase.
There is a DIY method to fix it on Inscrutables.

Updated (2012 Apr):
Unfortunately, Amazon gives two years of warranty, which has just elapsed. No luck.

Update (2014 Jan):
The middle click button still was really disturbing, as I would use it more and more (a typical usage is to close tabs in Chrome/Firefox).
I ordered a new mouse, but the middle button had even more problems, so I have sent it back.
Otherwise, the mouse works well.
I use WinsplitRevolution to organize windows on a double screen setup, and I use "Zoom" button to move windows between screens, and the Application Switcher to minimize/maximize windows.

Update (2014 May):
The left mouse button failed. A 100 Euro premium mouse should not fail after only +/-four years of office use. My cheap totally old mouses function error free.
Reduced rating to two stars. Very disappointing.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 January 2014
Unfortunately my mouse had the very well known issue that is described all over the internet: The mouse cursor sometimes just 'hangs'. Even after thorough investigation, including changing usb-ports, different (clean) undergrounds and even other computers there was no pattern to discover. Amazon reacted first class to my complaint, sending instantly a new one. But my excitement turned quickly into disappointment - although the cursor reacted overall better (not flawless though!), this time the mouse wheel button had serious issues. Again, the internet is full of the same descriptions: you have to press from a specific angle and rather hard to have any effect. Many times you end up hearing the 'click' sound although no event is triggered.

Overall very disappointing, especially when you consider the price of the mouse and that these issues seem to be very well known. It would be a great mouse, if it worked - but after two fails, the investment is done better with a different one.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I've had the previous Logitech VX Revolution Wireless Laser Laptop Mouse for years (3 1/2 years) and it proved extremely robust even when slung into an overstuffed bag. But it got to the point where the left and right buttons had to be clicked in a certain way to respond. The VX was really useful, but I've upgraded.
This new mouse is fantastic! Everything about the VX Revolution that didn't contribute to the smoothest experience has been improved! I'm going to sound biassed but I'm as critical of my tools as the next man, and this is a really good mouse (until they invent an eye-tracking mouse, of course).

* to switch between free running scrolling and click scrolling was a switch on the underside, now it is on top (and I find I change modes regularly. Why would you want to? To find your place in a document scrolling line by line or half page by half page [click mode], to race to the start or end [free mode]). Oh it's very useful to scroll sideways as well, but the VX worked exactly the same on this
* zooming in and out of web pages/ documents etc (needed because I have a 13.3" HD 1920x1080 screen, so things can get very tiny) I now touch a button with the side of my thumb and then use the scroll; on the VX my first finger didn't quite find it comfortable (though could still do it without changing hand position)
* the universal receiver really does stay in the laptop out of the way, which means I get the mouse out even on short train journeys because I don't do any faffing around with the receiver
* the "switch windows" button is easy to reach and use
* both the old mouse and the new are very good at tracking mouse movement on every surface I've tried

Is there anything wrong with this mouse?
* some people report a lag whilst it wakes up after going into battery saving mode. I've been using a wireless mouse for so long I don't notice - I've developed a little "pre-wiggle" to wake the mouse up before moving it, completely subconscious and I've only just noticed I do it
* you can still run out of desk space - oh, perhaps that is my desk not the mouse's fault
* it doesn't read my mind. I want it to click on the window I'm looking at so that when I type it appears in the correct document, but unless I touch the mouse, nothing happens. Oh well.

I'm pleased with this mouse, and I think you will be too. NOTE looks as though you can buy exactly the same model for £20 more - don't!
on 16 June 2015
So it is a decent mouse that is generally well-built. However, I'm looking for a replacement, for the following reasons:

- It is too large. This is of course personal preference, but for me, I find my natural style is to rest my palm on the mousemat and generally move the mouse with my fingers, without my palm leaving the mat. For this style, the mouse is too big - my fingers only reach just to the wheel so I'm clicking quite close to the mouse button pivots making the click quite hard. In order to press at the tips of the mouse buttons, you'd have to raise your entire hand off the table. Maybe I just have small hands.
- It is too heavy. Similar to the above - I like to be able to nimbly and quickly move the mouse around with my fingers rather than my whole hand, and this mouse is too heavy for that.
- MAC SOFTWARE - Oh my - they say this is Mac compatible but that's a real stretch. The drivers that come with the Mac are terrible - not only because they contain about 10% of the functionality of the Windows driver (it doesn't even give access to program all of the buttons), but they also contain a whole load of 'enhancements' that make the experience worse, e.g. pointer acceleration that you can't disable. I ended up using a 3rd party driver (USB Overdrive) which gives full control of all the buttons and acceleration.

Other niggles are that the middle wheel left/right buttons are so hard to press they are effectively pointless - and they are inconsistent - pressing left gives a 'click' sound while pressing right does not. Also the 'wheel spin' mode continues to be pretty useless.

For me, I'm going to find a smaller, simpler mouse.
on 29 May 2013
I bought this mouse on the recommendation of a friend, and they have converted me! The all round experience of using this mouse is excellent - from the obvious advantages of tracking on glass down to every little feature. I use it anywhere between 3 and 10 hours a day (I use my PC a lot...), with no comfort issues. There are loads of great things about this mouse, so I'll list some key points:
* Very comfortable for extended durations. I use my mouse with a 'palm grip', in my right hand (NB: this mouse only fits the contours of a right hand) and I haven't had any of the cramp issues I've had with previous mice.
* Useful software for remapping functions - the mouse has 4 hardware buttons under the thumb, which can be mapped to almost any function. I use them for audio controls - Volume Up/Down, Mute and Play/Pause. They work very well for this, and each brings up a translucent window on screen to confirm the function.
* Responsiveness - the mouse is incredibly sensitive in the finest mode, and the settings are highly tunable. Despite scepticism from gamers, I found this mouse fine to use with Counter Strike and Battlefield 3.
* Battery - the mouse ships with a Sanyo Eneloop battery, one of the finest rechargables in its class, and is charged through a USB port in the body of the mouse. It lasts a long time, and charges rapidly. It can also be used while charging, and the cable is designed so that this doesn't ruin gliding.
* Tracking and Gliding is excellent - I use mine on glass, and it's fantastic to be free of my mousepad. It has a good range - covering at least my reasonably sized room.

The packaging is excellent - no frustration or tears and no blister packing, and the accessories are all of a high quality - mirroring the excellent build quality of the mouse itself. It feels like it has a long life to it - I can't imagine it failing any time soon...

In summary, an excellent mouse. It might seem like a big investment in hardware, but it's absolutely worth it for the comfort that this mouse brings, given the time people spend using mice and keyboards these days. Go for it!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Unlike most of the less expensive rechargeable mice, this uses a single AA-size rechargeable battery. I have owned this mouse for at least two years and is undoubtedly the best mouse used to date, surpassing in several respects the MX Revolution previously used. Unlike the older Revolution, it does not use a recharging cradle which I found annoying and slightly flaky, but a micro-USB lead to recharge. It is possible to recharge via a port on your PC if it supports the purpose but a recharging adapter is the better solution and was originally supplied with the product. If not now (and that it was I was told by a recent purchaser) they are now almost universal and easy and inexpensive to obtain.

Although fairly large, the mouse sits comfortably in my hand and a lady friend whose hands are considerably smaller than mine has no problems with it. It is a right-handed mouse and may not best suit left-handers. The mouse supports several functions including a scroll wheel which works in the vertical only, a pair of zoom buttons just under the thumb and an adjacent % button which magnifies screen text.

I find that the battery can be good for 2-3 days of moderately heavy use, but only about 20-24 hours of very heavy use before needing a recharge, which takes about 2 hours or less. When lightly used, it is good for about 7-10 days. I am aware that some of Logitech's current mice claim to be able to survive on a single non-rechargeable battery for several months, but they use a different technology.

The mouse requires use of Logitech's Unifying Receiver, which is supplied, and very tiny at less than 1cm deep once located in a USB socket. This device will support up to five more other Unifying products which can include keyboards, mice and some of the new touch gesture tablets now being offered primarily for Windows 8.

Although not inexpensive, it is currently being offered for much less than its original RRP which was the price I paid when it was first released. It is a little on the heavy side and slightly bulky but it does give the impression of being quite solidly built and has survived several instances of being knocked onto a hard floor without any obvious signs of harm, which is far less likely with a more modestly built alternative.

I like it that much that when Amazon offered a deal where they were sold about about half their original price, I bought a second as a spare. I also encouraged a couple of relatives to buy one each for themselves. Thoroughly recommended.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I have had a number of different brands of mice and bought this together with the Logitech K800 wireless Illuminated Keyboard to replace an aging and worn Microsoft Wireless Comfort Desktop 5000 set. I have got used to this MX Performance mouse very quickly - it looks good and fits my smallish male hand quite well, despite what is said about it being "big" on these pages. I'd refine that by saying the mouse itself isn't noticeably bigger than others to hold, but, because of it's high ergonomic design its footprint is unique and that is what is bigger. The finish and look is good but the mouse is lighter than it looks - as I've said in other reviews, we are no longer in a world where weight and solidity are a guide to durabilty/usability.

For a right handed person this MX mouse feels very comfortable, and, the Setpoint Software gives you the ability to customise the controls. You can change most characteristics of the mouse using the supplied software which installed first time. The MX Mouse is very precise and a joy to use on all surfaces with the scroll wheel having just a slight click to it. It remains charged for quite a long time - without switching it off and using it for say, three or four hours a day it needs a charge only once a week. The battery is a single rechargeable AA cell, so, when it needs replacing it should easy.

This mouse also has a facility to it with a Logitech keyboard, although, I found the version of Setpoint Software and dongle supplied with the MX mouse didn't seem to recognise the keyboard (for example, there was no "settings tab" for the keyboard even after the "unifying process" was completed). However, the other way around using the keyboard dongle and downloading the latest version of Setpoint worked first time after which both products work faultlessly. Another oddity is that the mouse comes with a USB charging lead and a mains charger whereas the K800 keyboard has no mains charger and relies on USB to recharge. The MX package is topped off by an extension lead for the dongle and a very neat case designed for the peripherals but not the mouse itself.

Unless you are left-handed, this mouse has to be on the list of those wanting ultimate mouse control, although, it is not designed as a hard core gamer's mouse. Yes, it costs more than others but then it delivers a lot more too. Recommended.