on 9 December 2009
This is a great series and should be used in all school curriculums of modern history. It will inspire you, whet your appetite to find out more. It will dispel a few myths (like Churchill wasn't such a great leader in his earlier years) and make you aware of little known facts (i.e. Air Chief Keith Parks of the RAF and mastermind of us winning the Battle of Britain, was actually New Zealand born). Buy it, be entertained and educated at the same time.

Beware of one thing though. This collection pack includes both 'History of Modern Britain' and the 'Making of Modern Britain' DVDs. When I ordered the pack, it said 'series 1-2 of 'History of Modern Britain' and I therefore ordered ' Making of Modern Britain' thinking it was a separate DVD. I'm returning the latter to Amazon and hopefully they'll refund me in full.
44 comments85 of 88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 December 2010
I bought this for several reasons:
1. I enjoy history and wanted to learn more about Britain's.
2. The price on the Amazon UK site was spectacular compared to the American site.
3. I do have dvd players that can play anything worldwide.

What I found:
This is a very good watch for those who are interested in but not a slave to Britain's modern history. Marr adds some bits of entertainment with costumes, anecdotes, expressions and such so as to enliven the piece. You can find other historical dvd sets that are so scholastic you almost want to take notes for the exam. This is easier but still informative. He recreates figures (that I, at least, found mostly obscure but may not be to others) and their stories as an prelude to the next event he will discuss. I found them mostly enjoyable. He does insert himself, in character and costume, for a few stories and uses some computer generated actions to push the story but that sometimes loses the sincerity of the project. He has an expressive, deep, narrative voice that helps to deliver the mood for each chapter.
Overall, this delves deeper than a primer but doesn't feel like a textbook.
Shipping to the US takes some time (a month) by regular carrier. And you might want to alert your credit card bank that you are purchasing from an online, overseas site.
on 15 January 2010
Frank, engaging, witty and fascinating account of modern Britain, this series is an absolute gem that will be watched again and again.
on 24 April 2010
Best value DVDs on the market. Hours of archive footage and great history, made entertaining and certainly very informative.
on 29 October 2009
Andrew Marr has mined a rich seam of old documentary film footage and assembled it into a punchy, lively, hugely entertaining and informative account of modern Britain. The script is brilliant. The editing is outstandingly good: pacy, sharp and perfectly cut to the rhythm of the text. Marr is full of bounce: quirky, witty and scholarly. And as well as the wonderful collage of film, we also get quite extraordinary artefacts and visits to original locations to illustrate the text.

I shall never forget the clip where Marr, with his hair well-brushed, assures us he is being driven along not in A Silver Ghost, 'This is THE Silver Ghost!' Smirk, smirk, and dont we all wish we were too!
11 comment72 of 76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 December 2009
Andrew Marr brings to life the subject of these DVDs and for anyone with an interest in history it makes facinating viewing I will watch it many times and learn something new each time.
on 16 December 2009
I did exactly the same thing as Dave Clews! Duh. You probably won't make the same mistake, as the description is much clearer now. The other good news is that Amazon will refund what it costs me to get the unneeded DVD back to them. Good attitude, people! Anyway, it tells you what I think about the product that I was prepared to pay double to get hold of it in the first place ... Enjoy.
11 comment16 of 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 18 February 2010
The Andrew Marr Collection is the work of a genius. It combines history presented with the wit and incisiveness that we have come to expect from Mr Marr.

For those like myself who have lived throughout post WW2 Britain it is a sharp reminder of the major changes we have encountered. The work is not just of sentimental interest to old fuddy-duddies like myself but will capture the imagination of younger people who can see the transformation of Britain. Marr himself is a relative youngster.

Buy this collection and/or the excellent books and you will not be disappointed
on 23 March 2010
Being as enjoyed the History of Modern Britain I wanted to see it again and show my children how Britain has evolved since WW2. The Andrew Marr collection is excellent in that it covers all major issues and holds one's interest throughout.
on 13 February 2011
For me, this was as enjoyable the second time through as the first. I am amazed at how much history there is and how honestly presented it is, even the coverage of Maggie, in such a short series. In about 5 hours, enough of the evolution of cultural life is woven into the story to also feel the sea change in expectations and life style.

As an American, I was very pleased with the time spend developing the role of the USA, for good or ill, in modern British history. An American can watch this series without fear of being painted with too broad a brush.

Midway through the series, I was stuck with how much like James Burke, Andrew Marr manages to be. To me, this is a sincere complement.