Format: DVDChange

on 1 December 2009
Its true, there are many things that are not very good about this DVD. The editing quite frankly leaves allot to be desired. It seems rushed and as the previous reviewer says it can be distracting.

However the show itself is on point! Not as good as Bigger and Blacker but better than Never Scared. I saw the show in London and it was the best show I have ever been to. The atmosphere was electric, it was like being at a Wembley gig. Absolutely quality. Unfortunately, solely because of the editing the shine is somewhat dulled....but only slightly.

Chris Rock is an immensely funny man. His presence, his swagger, his self deprecating stories and other jokes are fresh and or come from angles that make you think and laugh out loud (which isn't easy).

I say buy this DVD if you are a fan, saw the show or just like a few laughs. You won't have seen a performance like this. Chris Rock we salute you.
on 29 January 2010
For those of you who are put off by the way the HBO special edits between the three shows, there is a 3-disc special edition out there for around £20 (not on amazon at the moment) where disc one is the HBO edit, but discs two and three show each of the shows in their entirety.

While admittedly the material is largely similar across the gigs, it is still a decent investment to overcome the issues of the HBO edit.
on 4 January 2010
compared to his other dvds sure its not better than some, but its much better than other stand up dvds i got this xmas, a whole fresh new routine made this for me non of that milking of old material like other comedians.
on 16 January 2015
Not as good as his previous stand up dvds. Editing is very bad, I actually thought there was a fault with the dvd but after seeing my friends copy, it realy has less than mediocre editing, also there are a few gags I have heard before in his previous dvds.
Never the less I was cracking up watching this
I love Chris almost as good as the early Eddie Murphy
P's. When you think it's the end don't turn off your dvd! There is still more footage to watch (again very bad editing. When I watched this dvd I thought it ended around 5 times. Only to realise the dvd had not ended )
on 31 July 2013
Chris Rock is one of the funniest comedians I have ever watched!!

His comedy is on point and relevant and his comedy reaches out across all classes, races and genders!

Taken from his tour in the UK, New York and South Africa Chris Rock discusses the Presidential Elections of the USA, behaviours in the bedroom, racism and children all in a light hearted side splitting way whilst giving you food for thought at the same time.

Next time I would love to be able see him in person!
on 21 November 2013
Chris Rock is in my top 5 comedians and Kill the messenger is one of my favourite stand ups, he went in hard on this and I have alot of respect for him for doing this when he didn't need to do another stand up.

Highly recommend.
on 10 February 2015
Another brilliant dvd from Chris Rock, the only down sides I found were the way it cut between the different shows during the same jokes/rants and that some of the jokes/rants he had done before in previous dvds.
on 24 July 2013
As usual Chris touches on subjects that everyone can relate to. Some of the topics are controversal but that is to be expected with Chris overall this is a very good DVD.
on 3 November 2009
Please note that I bought this on Region 1 and assume that there will be little difference with the presentation and editing of the stand up routine hence I'm only reviewing the show itself and not any extras.

I have enjoyed all of Chris Rocks' specials having watched them all several times both on TV and DVD but this one is just plain annoying.

Rock performs in three different locations during his tour, London, New York and Johannesburg and the producers saw fit to emphasise this with horrible editing that hammers it home by constantly switching the footage between the three locations. (Note to producers - you told us at the start of the DVD that it was the most successful comedy tour in the history of the world, we are capable of remembering this fact for ourselves without the constant reminders. In actual fact, I didn't care how successful the tour was, I just wanted to watch a Chris Rock stand up comedy DVD and have a laugh).

If you are planning to buy this I want to warn you that it is very, very distracting. Rock is wearing a different outfit at each location and the sound quality varies so you are halfway through a joke and the footage switches and becomes quieter and I ended up thinking more about how much the outfit and sound changes were irritating me than whether I found the jokes funny.

The jokes themselves are not up to his own high standards set by the other specials and I think Chris Rock is starting the believe the hype and get big headed, hence less work on the material.

The crowds at the three locations all seemed to be rolling in the aisles but I believe that they had all been drinking at the bar prior to the show and were just happy to be watching Chris Rock live rather than paying attention to what he was actually saying, which wasn't much.

I give this show 2 out of 5 because I just didn't laugh much. It was more like being mildly amused than laughing out loud like I did at his other HBO specials. I love stand up comedy and have many DVDs by a variety of different comedians and am easy to entertain but this just made me go 'meh'.

Unfortunately, I am unlikely to watch this again.

Chris Rock, please don't get involved with the hype and how much everyone 'loves' you. I know you've made your money and that you probably care less than when you started out on your career as you are now rich but if this will be the standard of your output for the future then please call it a day.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 December 2009
Loved it, Chris Rock is a fantastic, edgy comedian with great timing and intelligent observation. not for the sensitive, but if you have seen earlier stuff you will love it.