on 23 November 2009
After reading several reviews for the Veho VFS-002 I was in two minds whether to purchase this product or not. I am very happy to say I am pleased I did purchase it.I agree with R1ster that the slide cases are delicate, but why would you want to manhandle then? The design works perfectly well. As for photo quality, well I haven't had any problems. I can only guess Veho have updated the software. The Arcsoft program (included) has several levels of picture quality adjustment. I instantly used the highest quality which produces around 3.5MB photo from the negative. I have not had any requests for additional payments to use the software application. I have only given this four stars due to the delicate slide cases, but to be honest I can't see how they could improve them. This product is great for the price.
11 comment|213 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 July 2013
I read a lot of positive & negative reviews and then got one for myself. I think some of those negative reviewers may have not been using the device right. Not surprising as the instructions are useless. So take note here are some instructions to use it better:

1/ Make sure you remove the protective see through plastic from the negative holders.

2/ When loading a negative, clean off the dust (use a blower), load it emulsion side up. That's so that the writing is the wrong way around. This does mean you'll need to mirror image, reverse, the final image. But, you'll get a better result.

3/ Make sure you setup the software right for your scan. Acquire from 'Film scanner', set for negative or slide, B&W or colour. Set to maximum resolution for best result. Also set DPI to 3600.

4/ When you start scanning a new roll of film or batch of slides take a second scan of the first shot. I found that it needs to adjust the colour balance over two shots. After that it seems to be set for the batch. That's assuming you are a reasonable photographer and expose your shots well. If you have any well under or over exposed shots again take more than one scan of it.

Amazon's customer service are the best I have dealt with (no I don't work for them). So if you get any drop off at the edges (not on your original) or a pin point of brightness in the centre (not on your original) then you have a fault. Return it. The same if it won't focus. Basically this so called usb scanner appears to be a 5mp camera with backlight. So it has the potential for a fault in the backlight or camera.

One last thing. This device will produce results that are equivalent to scanning a 4x6 photo that you had done at Boots etc. But it will never beat a professional level scanner.

Mike
on 29 July 2009
I had the VFS-004 scanner from Veho which I used for scanning all my family's old 35mm Slides and Negatives. I have been waiting for a scanner that will scan the old 110 Kodak Instamatic negatives as I have loads of these from the 70's and 80's. I bought this scanner as soon as it came out last month and its even easier to use than the previous VFS-004. There are no drivers to load which means I just plugged the scanner into my Mac, loaded the new version of the media impressions software and was scanning in a matter of minutes. Great bit of kit and I am now embarrassing all my old friends on Facebook with photo's from school days.
44 comments|182 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 May 2010
This product is excellent for the intended job I required, reliving memories from 35 mm negatives I have had for over 50 years and having lost or given away many of the original photographs. The scanned pictures are of excellent quality with the added advantage of enhancing and cropping to your own taste.

My only regret is that there is not a scanner available for Negatives size 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 and 2 1/2 x 31/2 Inches as I have many of them also.
on 31 August 2009
Excellent delivery of a well made product.
A bit dissapointed with results but Veho support are trying to assist me to get best from it.
Good product to preserve all those old film negatives
on 3 May 2011
Choosing a slide scanner was particularly difficult! There were mixed reviews on everything in my price range, but I settled on this one.

CONS first.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE USB 2.0 ports on your computer !
This scanner does not work on a USB 1 port.
(Easy to check, the little tree symbol by the port should include a + sign.)

As you might expect, the bundled software is bad mannered and intrusive, tries to set itself as the default for all image files and has very little configurability. Given half a chance it'll set off without permission to try to catalogue all image files on your PC.

It's not a problem, just be cautious during install and untick as many boxes as possible.
I've been using the scanner on a netbook, I created a system restore point before installing the software, and I'll return to it after I've done scanning.

There is definitely a certain amount of vignetting on scans, ie the image is brightest in the middle and falls off toward the edges.

PROS
Despite the cons, it does the job at a good price.

I just wanted it for quick scanning of old family slides and it's fine for that purpose. A couple of evening sessions and I had about 200 slides captured for the family archives and sharing.
I used the "high" quality setting which gave file sizes around 750kb.

If you're a photography enthusiast wanting high quality scans, I think you'll be looking elsewhere.

Four star rating takes substantial account of the price.
on 15 May 2011
We bought this item after reading varied reviews and decided to give it a go. This was a mistake. Every single photo we scanned in had a circle of light in the centre surrounded by dark edges, we emailed the manufacturer and included a couple of the scans and were informed by them that the item was working as it should. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone.
on 4 November 2009
I bought this to preserve my slides but was very disappointed with the quality, i am sending it back straight away it was a waste of money, go for the more expensive scanners, well had on this one, images dark you try to enhance and your colour picture goes green, images arn't sharp, i could go on, but i won't
on 9 April 2013
I purchased this scanner in order to digitize all of the rolls of negatives that my mother has stored. The user image of the river in the South Island of New Zealand taken in 1980 with an Olympus PEN EE is mine.
There is a wide variance of opinion with this product, and normally do not purchase anything under four stars, so took a risk. I have uploaded this 33 year old image so others can judge for themselves.
I was very happy with the results. I did not see any evidence of the image being excessively bright in the middle / dark at the edges that other reviewers suggested. I would caution that at maximum quality, an image is around 14Mb per file.
I do support the other reviewers that recommend letting the scanner focus on the negative for a few seconds before scanning, this greatly sharpens the image.
I also support the reviewers that remark that the trays are somewhat awkward to work with. Unfortunately the set up of the trays takes longer than taking the images themselves. For that reason I have removed one star.
review image
on 16 March 2010
If you are going to "digitalise" all your memories so you can send them to your family and friends on a disc then I would say this is fine - so long as you keep your precious negatives or slides for the future. This is the reason I bought one, and for that purpose it serves very well.

Whilst boasting spec such as 5 megapixels, it is important to remember that this item wont have the optics to back it up, and as such tends to look very much like a camera phone picture. At highest quality the picture sizes are 5112x3408, but at 100% size the quality is appalling. Even more frustrating is the severe - very severe - vignetting. For slides this will cause darkening which is passable, but for negatives this manifests itself as a whitening/pinkening which looks poor. The Veho frequently gets the colour balance a little wrong and any manipulation and brightening will cause the vignette to worsen so be prepared to be a proficient Photoshop user in order to manipulate these areas separately. I don't think that it is caused by an uneven light surface, more the poor pickup device. The capture software has no parameters to change cropping, colour correction or brightness at source - only post capture.

I didn't have too much of a problem with the trays. The slide tray holds three at a time but I don't see why they couldn't have made room for four. The 35mm negative tray doesn't have many sprockets so you may not get all the picture visible in the window (some of the picture will be hidden behind the frame). However the aspect ratio of the capture is not as wide as 35mm anyway so you will have to crop the edges. A lot of negatives that I transferred were from an obsolete film format, so fed the negs through without a tray which gave good enough results, so long as you don't mind cropping the edges off along with all the other manipulation work!

After what seems like a scathing review, you might be surprised to hear me recommend the item. I actually think it does a decent enough job if all you want to do is view your pictures on your PC. The item is not for future proofing, or for printing enlargements. The optics and vignetting puts paid to that, but at the same time I saw some old negatives that were precious to the family for less than £50.