Format: MP3 DownloadChange
Price:£4.99

I came to the music of The Temper Trap, as I'm sure many others have, off the back of `Sweet Disposition' and it has quickly become one of my favourite albums of the year. In fact it is never out of my stereo at the moment. From the opening track `Love Lost' you know you are in for a real treat and this album doesn't let you down at all. This band have their own unique sound and the singer has very distinctive and original vocals, but if you enjoy bands like Death Cab For Cutie then I recommend this album and think it will be right up your street. `Sweet Disposition' is a very strong track and the way it builds with the underlying jangly guitar really adds to it's impact and power. But more subtle tracks like `Soldier On' have real nuance and show the breadth of this bands talents. I also love the chorus of `Science of Fear` which keeps driving the song forward and makes you want to sing along with it full belt. The last track `Drum Song' is instrumental and whilst raw, is a great way to end this album. I could quite easily wax lyrical about this album but suffice it to say that it is original, has excellent song writing and would well benefit you to take a listen. It is one of those life enhancing albums and I can't recommend it enough.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.
on 10 August 2009
A uniquely tuned voice, lead singer Dougy Mandagi could be one of the most exciting prospects to emerge from Australia in years. Supported by a great outfit that gives The Temper Trap an atmospheric, polished sound, they are without doubt my favourite band to emerge in 2009. They were amazing at Glastonbury, then again at Love Box, and now the album's out and it's bloody terrific. Sweet Disposition sounds like it's been sung by sentient beings in orbit above the earth, it feels so expansive and universal. Love Lost makes hairs stand up on your arms and stop what you're doing to listen. Fader storms down the highway like a drag racer powered by pure willpower, with some wonderful backing vocals.
Sometimes the lyrics seem slightly bonkers, and more than a little obtuse, but with a sound this great - I don't mind a bit!
66 comments24 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Yet another CD I have bought on the strength of hearing the music on the soundtrack to a film, this album presents the music/vocals with great clarity. 'The Temper Trap' are an Australian band and considering that this is their debut issue it shows they are already quite accomplished artists with great promise.

Having heard the song 'Sweet Disposition' in the film '300 Days of Summer' (a poor film, notable only for exposing me to some decent music !) I was encouraged to investigate - the highlight of that song for me being the distinctive and really quite striking Falsetto singing voice of the lead vocalist. Not all of the songs on this album feature that precise style of singing, so things don't get 'mundane' and anyway there is enough variation in the melodies on offer to help prevent that happening. The instrumental work is skilful and often quite prominent - this album does not rely on the lead singer alone....

Whilst aside from 'Sweet Disposition' I couldn't really say any the titles themselves of any of the other songs remain in my memory but the music does; things open strongly with 'Love Lost' before the pace quickens into 'Rest' before that false climax of 'Sweet Disposition'. I would say quite a lot of thought has gone into the playing-order of the songs, as there is a definite quickening of tempo as things progress along with the vocals becoming more integrated with the instrumentals, rather then being at the forefront as in the first few tracks (which are the ones I prefer).

If you have heard something of the 'The Temper Trap' then this CD is well worth getting. If you enjoy good quality vocals with rhythmical melodies and haven't heard this group before then I suggest you audition the samples on offer by Amazon; if you like what you hear then, again, buy the CD - it promises some very enjoyable easy-listening with several standout songs.
on 14 September 2009
I'll keep it short...one of the best albums I've heard in 2009!
A beautiful and sometimes haunting sound that you just won't be able to get enough of. From Fader through to Soldier On and the wonderful Sweet Disposition, this album is pure quality
on 8 January 2011
I came to this band as a result of the Center Parcs Tv advert ... I spent a while on YouTube trying to find out what the music was and it turned out to be Sweet Disposition ....possibly the catchiest track I have heard in a couple of years. So I listened to the album and in a way it reminds me of Melody AM by Royksopp ... not in sound but in the way that it is refreshingly different. Having heard it a few times I have to say I do like it .... will Temper Trap fade from my buying habits like Royksopp have? Only time will tell but this is a pretty good album from a band that seems prepared to do its own thing.
on 8 February 2010
When I first heard this I was slightly miffed. It felt slightly coldplay lite in places especially the first track. But as an album it emerges over several listens and the songs start to fall into place. Sweet Disposition is the standout - beautiful, lilting Buckleyesque melody over a Pink Floydian landscape. This feels like a stepping stone on the way to greatness.
on 23 January 2013
Delivered today, I am now on my second play. A chance purchase on the strength of a TV ad sample, and the fact that they have at least been around for a while. I do not know how to describe this lot? You can't really find a 'bag' to put them in. I have 'visions' of the vocals being copied from the Bee Gees impersonating the Commodores, and then being menaced by a nice bit of 'rock' guitar! They are not 'Indie' or 'Alternative', neither are they 'Pop'. You can't really say that they can't fit anywhere, because they are 'original', cos they ain't. Having said all that, they do shove a load of familiar things into their songs, and come out with an album that is quite listenable to an Indie-type, like me. The type of album where I have given seven of the 10 tracks a rating of 7/8 out of ten. Best to give them a listen before you buy.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 February 2010
From start to finish this album is amazing. As other reviews say, yes the first 3 songs are possibly the best on the album, but the rest of the album has so much more to offer on top of that. "Down river" has a mesmerizing drum line from start to finish, "Fader" is the ultimate driving song that gives you a lift like no other on the album, "Fools" is a more mellow sound from start of the album but this song is where Dougy's voice really shines. And these are just a few of the great tracks, not forgetting "love lost" and "sweet disposition" of course.

This is Definately one of my favourite albums from 2009, alongside Mumford and sons moving album Sigh no more, and The Airborne toxic event's self-titled debut album. If you considering buying this album, go for it, give it a try! I don't think you'll be disapointed.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 October 2009
If you only buy one album this year make sure it is this one. I bought this album after hearing sweet disposition and i absolutly love it. There is an odd week track but most of it is stunning. I cant wait to see what they do next.
on 17 October 2009
It's a shame this band is being compared to Coldplay, because the Temper Trap differ in the way that they don't make me want to gouge my eyes out. Perhaps a rare band in the genre of soft-indie-pop-rock-whatever you call it these days, the Temper Trap don't particularly offer something different and unique, they have done something far more important and made a likeable album. Far too often in this genre we hear the same thing again and again, and it's dull, and heartless. "Conditions" just manages to break away from the mould, and there are a handful of songs that you just might listen to sometime next year, rather than forgetting about the band entirely.

The highlight is "Sweet Disposition" which is probably the reason why most of us will buy the album. Nothing else comes close to this, but there is a consistency throughout the album, the band has a very good chemistry, and there is enough there to keep you listening. Other standout songs being "Love Lost", "Soldier On", and "Science of Fear".

All in all, this isn't anything groundbreaking, but the Temper Trap are still one of the best new bands to emerge this year, and "Conditions" is not simply another disposable indie album that we'll forget about next month.