Top positive review
349 of 354 people found this helpful
Good product, but some cautions
on 24 September 2009
I have been a user of an electric toothbrush (Braun) for years, and I know my dentist recommends this over manual brushing. I thought this Philips product would be ideal for my family, as I have 2 children aged 4 and 11. After using it for a week, I am generally quite impressed, but there are a few points for a potential buyer to consider.
- Seems a good quality product - decent materials, feels solid and well put together
- Brush is colourful and attractive
- Rubberised grip is easy to hold
- Controls are easy to understand - one button to change between gentle and stronger vibration, one for on/off
- My dental hygenist tells me that this type of 'sonic' brush is the most effective type currently available
- The timing feature, which issues a little electronic tune to tell the child when to move on to a new part of their teeth, really works in helping instill a good brushing routine
- Different toothbrush sizes suit smaller and larger teeth/mouth
- Interchangeable covers are a bit gimmicky. They are adhesive, so I suspect they would not stand up to constant changing and would eventually fall off if treated this way. Fine if your kids are happy to settle on one colour and stick with it.
- Stand only has holders for 2 brushes, so if you have 3+ kids, other brushes will just have to lie around
- The brush vibrates extremely fast (which is why it is effective) but my youngest simply finds this too tickly and consequently (after initial enthusiasm) is now refusing to use it. Consider carefully before buying for a very young child. Not the sort of thing a shop will let you "try before you buy", so unless you have a friend who has one, it's just a judgement/risk you need to take
One final point of information. If you have not had an electric toothbrush before, they all seem to come with a 2-pin plug, and this is no exception. I assume this is for plugging in to a bathroom shaver socket, but if you do not have one you will need a two-to-three pin plug adapter before you can charge it.