3,262

on 9 November 2010
This product totally works, my son is only 22 mths old, but 5 days later it had completely changed his waking times from 4am to 6am! And 9 days in, he's now consistently waking up between 6.15 - 6.30am. Below is how I did it -

My 22 mth old son has always been a bit of a challenging sleeper, but recently it was just getting ridiculous. 4am starts told me that something needed to be done (not least of all because my husband was away, so I was doing all the early morning starts!) Anyway, I invested in a groclock after a friend recommended one. I have to say, I was a bit dubious, my son is only 22 mths old, and I wondered if he'd actually understand what was going on.

The first day I got it, we read the accompanying book a couple of times, then I spent 3 x 5min sessions with him running through the demo mode, so we saw the sun wink (bye bye Mr Sun!) and turn into the star (Night night! Sleeping time! - we pretended to go to sleep) then into the sun again (Morning Mr Sun! Get up! Get up! - we leapt up and danced around). We did this until it seemed like he understood what was going on. I ambitiously set the sun to come up at 6am, and waited to see how it would go.

Anyway, needless to say, day 1 he woke up at 4am, I went into his room, sat with him, and just kept saying, no, sleeping time, we need to wait until the sun gets up (I'd put some toys in his cot for him to play with, and I encouraged him to do so). After an hour of this, he was beginning to lose the plot, so I subtly changed the clock to the sun, and waited for him to notice. When he did, I made a HUGE fuss of him - yes, yes clever boy, it IS the sun. Let's get up!!

Day 2, woke up at 4.10am. This time I gave it a bit longer before I went in to sit in his room, then again encouraged him to read his books, play with his cars etc. I talked to him about having to wait for Mr Sun, and didn't stay in the whole time, went in, reassured, then went out. At no time did I get him out of his cot, I just encouraged him to wait for the sun.

Day 3, woke up at 5.40am. This time, because it was only 20 mins until he had to get up, I didn't go in at all, just talked to him from outside the door about having to wait for the sun.

Day 4, woke up at 4.55am. I was a bit discouraged, felt like we were going backwards, but this time I didn't go in, just called out to reassure him, and encourage him to play with his cars, read his books, and wait for the sun. Again, I constantly reassured him if he called out or cried, but I didn't go in.

Day 5, woke up at 5.45am, and played until the sun came up

Day 6, woke up AFTER THE SUN!! 6.01am!!

Day 7, woke up at 6.35am

Day 8, woke up at 6.16am (I then took the plunge and changed the wakeup time from 6.00am to 6.15am)

Day 9, woke up at 5.40am, but didn't cry, then put himself back to sleep until 6.20am. He has NEVER put himself back to sleep before.

My top tips for success are

1) Decide you really want to do this before you start. You'll need an iron will to keep going even when bubs is protesting.

2) Once you really decide you want to do it, do NOT get the child out of bed until 'Mr Sun' comes up. I found it was ok to go in and sit with them, encourage them to play in their bed / cot, reassure them etc. If the child really starts to lose it, I would press the button to bring on the sun for the first day, or the second at a real push, but try not to let them see you doing it, otherwise they'll associate you with the sun - and it's key they understand the sun comes out independently of Mummy or Daddy coming into their room! Similarly, try not to go in if you can possibly help it.

3) Set the wake up time as their regular wake up time for the first day, then move it by 15 mins each day until you get to your desired time. I didn't do this, and think it would probably have helped.

4) Think about what you do with your child when they wake up. I thought about it and realised that we were letting him watch telly (mainly because we were so wiped!!), but actually this was reinforcing the early waking, as he was leaping out of bed, so excited about watching Peppa Pig! By not allowing him to watch telly until I was preparing dinner, I removed this association. So now, it's a cup of milk and independent play until 7am, when he has breakfast.

5) Spend a bit of time each day for the first week running through the demo mode with very exaggerated actions and enthusiasm (e.g. loud snores for sleeping, big leaps for getting up). Make it fun. And do it until your child understands. Reinforce it whenever you're reading any book, most kids books have pictures of suns or stars somewhere in them - point at it, and say what is this? Child will say 'sun, stars' etc - say, yes, it's the sun, star - what does that mean? Child - wake up, sleep. You - yes, that's RIGHT. Clever boy/girl - when we see the SUN we WAKE UP!, when we see the STAR we SLEEP.

6) Be consistent - be consistent, be consistent. Don't do it unless you're going to see it through, as your child will absolutely test you to see if you're serious. So this is why it helps to set the wakeup time close to their actual wakeup time to begin with - it's much easier to reinforce if you don't have to deal with an hour of protesting to begin with!
3232 comments| 2,184 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 October 2015
I'd love to give this 5 stars because it's so cute, brilliant idea, great as a night light and the sweet little story that comes with it is great.

However.... It is currently 9.14pm and I've been sitting by my 27 month old son's bed since 7.45. He's cried, he's laughed, his wanted to hold my hand, cuddle my belly (he's obsessed) he's jumped about, he's shouted "baby crying" to alert me to the fact that his shouting has once again woken his 5 month old brother. He's then decided he'd like to start breastfeeding again, just because the baby is. I am exhausted.

And the cute blue stars, and the sweet little story just are not enough to make this child sleep. I'm not sure anything is... Infact, sometimes I'm not even sure this child is human!! It's been 27 months for God sake. 27 months of sleepless nights. Why I thought it'd be a good idea to have another baby in the middle of all this I don't know....

But anyway. The clock is brilliant. Maybe a bit better for ages 3+, or children who are actually human and need sleep to function... I do love the idea and it looks great.
on 2 June 2015
Every once in a while the human race manages to discover or invent something that changes the future forever. From the caveman's discovery of fire, through the invention of the wheel, and more recently the invention of the silicon chip, lives were changed for the better and the generations that followed flowered in the wake of greatness. The Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer is one such landmark advancement. This seemingly simple device took just two weeks to train my 23 month old twins to stay in bed and not wake Daddy up at 5am every day. They now happily lay in bed, chatting, playing peekaboo and waiting for the sunshine to show up. For the last week, I've not had to get up before 7.15am. Yep, seven fifteen. This is the best thing I have ever bought. And for £20 too! If I'd known what a difference this would make to my life I would happily have paid ten times that. When my kids have grown up and no longer need this clock, I'm going to build a shrine around it and give thanks to it every day.
22 comments| 229 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 July 2016
Oh my this clock has saved my life and sanity!

I have had this clock for a year now and its great used it first on our older child 3 and within 2 days she had it and stopped waking us up at silly o clock. It took a little longer with our younger about a week but he cracked it and no more 4 am wake ups.
It is especially good when changing time zones as kids don't get it and so playing god and changing the time the sun comes up is great.
We did find with our first that it was a bit bright and could if she was sleeping lightly wake her up easy enough to change the brightness however and this solved the problem.
Nice features of this clock:
brightness change
audible alarm
key lock (comes in good when they learn how to use the clock and get the sun out themselves)
2 time zones (weekend lie in as we call it)

If I was being super picky the only annoying thing is when you unplug it to take on holiday you need to reset the time no battery backup.

Great product would advise anyone to get it and have!
on 19 June 2016
We have been having real problems getting out two boys off to sleep, so on the recommendation of a friend bought this clock. I have to say it has been an absolute godsend. It is easy to set up and gives off a nice soothing blue light, it has been far more effective than my wife and I could have ever hoped for.
on 24 August 2009
I bought this a few weeks ago for my 3 year old son who kept getting up ridiculously early, whatever time he had gone to bed. As he has been growing out of daytime sleeps he was getting really tired and bad tempered in the day.
The price nearly put me off but the clock seemed a good design and I decided to give it a try over the holidays. It has worked perfectly. He has enjoyed setting it in the evenings (watching the sun close its eyes and change into the moon) and comes into our room at 7.30am with a beaming smile every morning telling us that the sun has come up. He has always had a night light in his bedroom and this doubles up as that, plus you can alter the brightness.
Setting it up initially was quite straightforward and if you unplug it to move it or to take away on holiday, it retains the settings. The fact that it can also be set to display digital time and has an audio alarm if required means that it will go on to be useful as he gets older.
In summary we are all getting more sleep and are a much happier household!
0Comment| 253 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 August 2009
I had great hopes for this item after reading the other reviews, but unfortunately this only lasted 3 days in our household before I returned it.

The product quality and build are very good and the concept is great. However, we found one major flaw. The clock face is quite large and the image is back-lit, so that the whole face lights up. At 2am in a dark room, this is a REALLY bright light, and it would wake my daughter up and she would say that it had to be morning time because it was so bright in her room. We moved the position of the clock so that it wasn't shining over her bed, but then she couldn't see when the moon had turned into the sun, so that was pointless. We turned the brightness down to the lowest setting, but it was still extremely bright.

It would be much better if the moon symbol was illuminated and not the whole clockface. This would mena that their concept of the moon turning into the sun to show get-up time would still work, but it wouldn't look like Blackpool Illuminations in the child's bedroom!
3939 comments| 350 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 June 2009
We bought this clock for our son for his birthday, when he turned 3 a month ago. He had been waking at 5.30 - 6.30 wanting to get into our bed or to get us sleeping on the floor in his room.

We showed him the demo of Moon with stars countdown and how "Mr Sunshine" would appear when it was "morning" - we optimistically chose 7am. From the first day it worked - I must say I was amazed, he did wake me at 5.30 to tell me the moon was still there for a couple of days.

But he is now checking before he shouts us in the morning - we hear him stir then go quiet if it's pre-7am, then we are woken with a cheery, "Mummy it's morning - the sunshine is here".

My friend has had similar joy with hers too.

Well worth a try - and the clock is lovely addition to boy or girl's nursery - much nicer than the other "pre-time-telling" clocks available.

I think it would even suit children younger than 3 as it comes with a cute storybook to introduce the idea to them at bedtime.
0Comment| 269 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 December 2011
I cannot recommend this light highly enough. We bought it for our daughter last Christmas when she was nearly 3, and I am sure it has given us all hundreds of hours extra sleep over the last year. It took a few nights for her to get used to it (running commentary on the first night!), and we have had the occasional morning when she's come in at 5am insisting it must be broken because it is obviously "wakey-up time". And admitedly she is an owl and not a lark. But I reckon on 29 mornings out of 30, she stays in bed until the sun comes on her clock. Even on Christmas morning. And her body clock is probably now set to wake up at the right time as a result.

In terms of setting it, it's not the most straightforward but to be frank it's no more complicated than the average mobile. We use the "nap" setting to give us all an extra half an hour in bed at weekends :-) which works nicely! She can set the clock herself now (once I have set up the default times) - I didn't show her this so presumably there has been some experimenting at some point! It has a key lock if necessary, which she finds very frustrating :-)

It is fairly bright - similar in intensity to the gro-egg thermometer if you have one. We have them both on a bookcase at the other end of the bed, the light doesn't bother her at all. Most children prefer it not to be pitch black anyway.

Hope the clock helps you as much as it helps us!
on 31 January 2015
Great clock, I bought it as my 3yr old kept waking earlier and earlier during the end of 2014, some days 6am. Once I set the wake up time and explained that no getting up until the sunshine appears, that means it's morning. Omg it actually works, we now set the wake up time at weekends for 8am and believe it or not we do not get woken until that time, it's heaven !!