2,530
Package Quantity: 1Colour: AChange
Price:£14.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

1,939 of 1,973 people found the following review helpful
on 9 November 2010
This product totally works, my son is only 22 mths old, but 5 days later it had completely changed his waking times from 4am to 6am! And 9 days in, he's now consistently waking up between 6.15 - 6.30am. Below is how I did it -

My 22 mth old son has always been a bit of a challenging sleeper, but recently it was just getting ridiculous. 4am starts told me that something needed to be done (not least of all because my husband was away, so I was doing all the early morning starts!) Anyway, I invested in a groclock after a friend recommended one. I have to say, I was a bit dubious, my son is only 22 mths old, and I wondered if he'd actually understand what was going on.

The first day I got it, we read the accompanying book a couple of times, then I spent 3 x 5min sessions with him running through the demo mode, so we saw the sun wink (bye bye Mr Sun!) and turn into the star (Night night! Sleeping time! - we pretended to go to sleep) then into the sun again (Morning Mr Sun! Get up! Get up! - we leapt up and danced around). We did this until it seemed like he understood what was going on. I ambitiously set the sun to come up at 6am, and waited to see how it would go.

Anyway, needless to say, day 1 he woke up at 4am, I went into his room, sat with him, and just kept saying, no, sleeping time, we need to wait until the sun gets up (I'd put some toys in his cot for him to play with, and I encouraged him to do so). After an hour of this, he was beginning to lose the plot, so I subtly changed the clock to the sun, and waited for him to notice. When he did, I made a HUGE fuss of him - yes, yes clever boy, it IS the sun. Let's get up!!

Day 2, woke up at 4.10am. This time I gave it a bit longer before I went in to sit in his room, then again encouraged him to read his books, play with his cars etc. I talked to him about having to wait for Mr Sun, and didn't stay in the whole time, went in, reassured, then went out. At no time did I get him out of his cot, I just encouraged him to wait for the sun.

Day 3, woke up at 5.40am. This time, because it was only 20 mins until he had to get up, I didn't go in at all, just talked to him from outside the door about having to wait for the sun.

Day 4, woke up at 4.55am. I was a bit discouraged, felt like we were going backwards, but this time I didn't go in, just called out to reassure him, and encourage him to play with his cars, read his books, and wait for the sun. Again, I constantly reassured him if he called out or cried, but I didn't go in.

Day 5, woke up at 5.45am, and played until the sun came up

Day 6, woke up AFTER THE SUN!! 6.01am!!

Day 7, woke up at 6.35am

Day 8, woke up at 6.16am (I then took the plunge and changed the wakeup time from 6.00am to 6.15am)

Day 9, woke up at 5.40am, but didn't cry, then put himself back to sleep until 6.20am. He has NEVER put himself back to sleep before.

My top tips for success are

1) Decide you really want to do this before you start. You'll need an iron will to keep going even when bubs is protesting.

2) Once you really decide you want to do it, do NOT get the child out of bed until 'Mr Sun' comes up. I found it was ok to go in and sit with them, encourage them to play in their bed / cot, reassure them etc. If the child really starts to lose it, I would press the button to bring on the sun for the first day, or the second at a real push, but try not to let them see you doing it, otherwise they'll associate you with the sun - and it's key they understand the sun comes out independently of Mummy or Daddy coming into their room! Similarly, try not to go in if you can possibly help it.

3) Set the wake up time as their regular wake up time for the first day, then move it by 15 mins each day until you get to your desired time. I didn't do this, and think it would probably have helped.

4) Think about what you do with your child when they wake up. I thought about it and realised that we were letting him watch telly (mainly because we were so wiped!!), but actually this was reinforcing the early waking, as he was leaping out of bed, so excited about watching Peppa Pig! By not allowing him to watch telly until I was preparing dinner, I removed this association. So now, it's a cup of milk and independent play until 7am, when he has breakfast.

5) Spend a bit of time each day for the first week running through the demo mode with very exaggerated actions and enthusiasm (e.g. loud snores for sleeping, big leaps for getting up). Make it fun. And do it until your child understands. Reinforce it whenever you're reading any book, most kids books have pictures of suns or stars somewhere in them - point at it, and say what is this? Child will say 'sun, stars' etc - say, yes, it's the sun, star - what does that mean? Child - wake up, sleep. You - yes, that's RIGHT. Clever boy/girl - when we see the SUN we WAKE UP!, when we see the STAR we SLEEP.

6) Be consistent - be consistent, be consistent. Don't do it unless you're going to see it through, as your child will absolutely test you to see if you're serious. So this is why it helps to set the wakeup time close to their actual wakeup time to begin with - it's much easier to reinforce if you don't have to deal with an hour of protesting to begin with!
3232 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 2 June 2015
Every once in a while the human race manages to discover or invent something that changes the future forever. From the caveman's discovery of fire, through the invention of the wheel, and more recently the invention of the silicon chip, lives were changed for the better and the generations that followed flowered in the wake of greatness. The Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer is one such landmark advancement. This seemingly simple device took just two weeks to train my 23 month old twins to stay in bed and not wake Daddy up at 5am every day. They now happily lay in bed, chatting, playing peekaboo and waiting for the sunshine to show up. For the last week, I've not had to get up before 7.15am. Yep, seven fifteen. This is the best thing I have ever bought. And for £20 too! If I'd known what a difference this would make to my life I would happily have paid ten times that. When my kids have grown up and no longer need this clock, I'm going to build a shrine around it and give thanks to it every day.
on 30 December 2011
I cannot recommend this light highly enough. We bought it for our daughter last Christmas when she was nearly 3, and I am sure it has given us all hundreds of hours extra sleep over the last year. It took a few nights for her to get used to it (running commentary on the first night!), and we have had the occasional morning when she's come in at 5am insisting it must be broken because it is obviously "wakey-up time". And admitedly she is an owl and not a lark. But I reckon on 29 mornings out of 30, she stays in bed until the sun comes on her clock. Even on Christmas morning. And her body clock is probably now set to wake up at the right time as a result.

In terms of setting it, it's not the most straightforward but to be frank it's no more complicated than the average mobile. We use the "nap" setting to give us all an extra half an hour in bed at weekends :-) which works nicely! She can set the clock herself now (once I have set up the default times) - I didn't show her this so presumably there has been some experimenting at some point! It has a key lock if necessary, which she finds very frustrating :-)

It is fairly bright - similar in intensity to the gro-egg thermometer if you have one. We have them both on a bookcase at the other end of the bed, the light doesn't bother her at all. Most children prefer it not to be pitch black anyway.

Hope the clock helps you as much as it helps us!
on 18 February 2012
This is great - Our son (7 years old) had recently but consistently taken to waking even earlier than his usual 06 a.m start and getting up to play - even at 4 am. (new christmas toys being the lure!) His logic was as its dark anyway in the winter when he gets up how was he to know it was too early? Good point! SO in desperation we turned to this clock. The idea is that you set a time when you want your child to get up and the blue background with a big star changes to a bright orange sun. The clock itself is fairly big, clear, easy to set up and use. The background lighting can be set from almost none to very bright. It does not use batteries.
The first two mornings our son came into our room and asked if it was ok to get up with just one star left (no!) and on the third morning he came in to announce the sun was on and was it ok to get up (yes!) and from then we have had no problems. WE have actually told him that at any time after 06.00 he can get up and play quietly in his room and when the sun is on he can get up and go down if he wants - but sometimes now he sleeps till well after 06 and the bright orange sun doesn't seem to wake him. So all in all a winner. The lead reaches from the socket to his bedside table, we have few sockets in his room, so have covered the lead with a bedside rug to avoid trips. And definitely stopped the night time risings! Phew! Would recommend!
on 25 March 2015
Great product. We bought this for our 3 year old to help her know when it is ok to get up. The night light is good, not too bright and it's simple to use. She loves it. It also plugs into the mains.
on 24 August 2009
I bought this a few weeks ago for my 3 year old son who kept getting up ridiculously early, whatever time he had gone to bed. As he has been growing out of daytime sleeps he was getting really tired and bad tempered in the day.
The price nearly put me off but the clock seemed a good design and I decided to give it a try over the holidays. It has worked perfectly. He has enjoyed setting it in the evenings (watching the sun close its eyes and change into the moon) and comes into our room at 7.30am with a beaming smile every morning telling us that the sun has come up. He has always had a night light in his bedroom and this doubles up as that, plus you can alter the brightness.
Setting it up initially was quite straightforward and if you unplug it to move it or to take away on holiday, it retains the settings. The fact that it can also be set to display digital time and has an audio alarm if required means that it will go on to be useful as he gets older.
In summary we are all getting more sleep and are a much happier household!
on 23 September 2011
This clock is amazing. We bought it for our 2 year old who after a holiday decided she wanted to be in our bed from as early as 3am! After weeks of sleep deprivation we resorted to looking into this clock. I didnt hold much hope for it working but results were almost instant.

We read the story and said goodnight to the sun & my daughter pressed the button for the stars to come out.

At the same time as her deciding not to sleep all night she also decided she wanted lights on so the clock acting as a night light with varying brightness levels sorted that issue.

Before the clock once she got up id take her back to her bed and she would scream the house down. The first night with the clock she came to our room in the early hours, i simply walked her back to her room, told her the stars were still out and she got back into bed - no fuss!! I was amazed! The first week she still got out of bed but this became less and less and later in the mornings. The last few nights she has stayed in her bed all night until the sun has risen.

We initially put the time at 6am as with her getting up so early didnt want to be over optimistic, each time she stayed in bed id add 10 mins to the clock.

This clock is a must for anyone having trouble with little sleepers - give it a few weeks and a step at a time and everyone will soon be getting their much needed beauty sleep!
on 25 January 2014
I never actually thought this clock would work, but was willing to give anything a go....we have been using it a week now and from day 1 it made all the difference. We got it to try and encourage our 2 1/2 year old to stay in bed longer in the morning (5-5.30am was the norm!)-she was a little dubious of the clock at first but once I explained about "Mr Sun" going to sleep and that "Mr Star" means it's night time...so if you see Mr Star it's still night and we must stay in bed-but when we see Mr Sun it means we get up-yay! She went to bed happy-and didn't get up once before falling asleep (she'll normally get up at least 2-3 times before falling asleep). The first night my 8 month old woke at 4am-so my 2 1/2 year old came in to our room-I took her back to her room showed her Mr Star was still there so it was night and we get up with Mr Sun-she got into bed and didn't get up till the sun showed at 5.45am...we did as was suggested and moved the time forward each day, just 10 mins and now she goes to bed at 7pm, and stays there till we hear her say "Morning Mr Sun" at 6.30am and we'll go in say hello to Mr Sun and say "yay-now it's time to get up" and praise her. I would recommend this to everyone who has an early riser or won't stay in bed when they are put to bed-as long as you follow the steps and stick with it, it really does work!
on 2 March 2015
This is an absolute winner in our household. Our 3year-old went from waking 2-3 times a night, and climbing into our bed in the early hours to sleeping straight through the night and only comes into our room when the sun wakes up in just one night!!! I no longer feel sleep deprived-Why I didn't know about this before is beyond me... It is great for children who responds well to visual items. Great tip is to place out of reach, but still in view to stop cheeky fingers from messing with the setting buttons!
on 29 July 2011
Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer

I bought this gro clock for my daughter who is nearly 3. We were struggling to get her to sleep past 5.30am due to the light mornings, she has a blackout blind in her room but still she was waking far too early. The best feature about this clock, comes from the fact there is no argument about whether it is morning or night time. If the stars are on she understands this means night and if the sunshine is on this means it's morning.
Basically you set the clock at bedtime to countdown using stars on a blue screen until the time you want your child to wake up in the morning. When the last star disappears the screen changes to yellow and the sunshine appears. It has a child lock on the buttons so your child can't mess with it!
We have gradually increased the time the clock shows the sunshine, we are now up to 7.10am which is a vast improvement on 5.30am!! We also really like the little story book that comes with the clock, a story about Percy pig and how he learns to get up when he sees the sunshine, my daughter seems to enjoy having this story read to her at bedtime.
I was sceptical that a clock would work with a nearly 3 year old but honestly I am really pleased with it and it has made getting up in the morning a much more pleasant time for everyone!
I would definitely recommend this product.