Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Black Friday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now DIYED Shop Fire Shop Kindle Paperwhite Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

on 8 October 2009
For the last 25 years at least I have been using Sennheiser headphones.
I currently have 5 pairs that I use very frequently but the newest ones are the ones you want to know about.

I had been using a pair of Sennheiser HD280 Pro [64 Ohm] and I was very happy with them and then early this year I heard about the "upgrade" to these, the HD 380 Pro and being a bit of a sound nerd I had to have some.
Was it worth it? Well, yes it was!

They are slightly lighter, they fold better and come with their own case, they have a curly lead rather than the straight one for the 280s and they are even more comfortable for long time listening!

But what you really want to know about is the sound quality - they are better in all respects . . . the sound is great!
The bass is tight with a crisp attack but it does go quite deep and sounds really good.
The midrange is musical, well controlled with a good soundstage - the instruments are well placed.
The treble is tight, high without being shrill and hangs onto the top notes say of cymbals without becoming papery and thin.
The sound altogether is musical, well controlled and not coloured - if you want deep booming bass and greatly coloured sound then these are not for you.
All told, these for me are superb headphones and I am delighted to have made their acquaintance.
Oh yes . . . and I also use them with my iPod and that sounds even better too . . .

I give them 5 stars for sound and 5 stars for comfort.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 September 2010
After a good while deciding what new headphones to get have just taken delivery of these and they are fantastic. Come with neat case and pack away tidily so very portable for a full size headphone. Sound quality is brilliant, currently listening to all my old collection again and marvelling at the new detail I can hear. Have been listening to Pink Floyd since I was a teenager back in the 1970s through dozens of different systems and these blow everything away. Very comfortable (for someone who has been known as "wingnut" in the past...enough said!) and well built. Good screw on adaptor. A clever design well executed, you won't be dissapointed.
on 9 September 2012
I'm not an audiophile, but having purchased a pair of Sennheiser MM50i in-ear headphones last year I was astounded by the difference from my old Sony in-ear plugs. As a result, I was looking for a decent pair of headphones for home / travel use.

Having read the many reviews on various headphones between £25 & £100 (and been thoroughly confused), I kept comping back to these, at the top end of my budget. These seemed to have a good number of positive reviews, seemed to have a sturdy wire/lead and had the benefit of being foldable.

Having owned the headphones for a few months now, I can confirm that they are more or less what I was looking for. The sound quality is (for me at least) perfect. Great balanced range of sound, from the base through to the high end. The wire/lead is definitely sturdy to the point of being too heavy. It is a coiled lead which I prefer, as it saves having several meters of loose cable flowing around getting trapped in things.

You can quite easily stick your phone in your pocket and tuck a small look of cable into your pocket to take the weight off your headphones. As stated in other reviews, the lead is replaceable should the unthinkable happen. It sounds strange, but the headphones fit nice & close to your head all over. You don't have a large weird looking loop sitting several inches above your head that some of the other brands seem to give.

The headphones hold onto your head firmly, securely and are remarkably comfortable during extended use. I was surprised by the level of external noise penetration considering they are a full enclosed design. During quieter moments between tracks and during quiet music, I can hear quite clearly the TV in the background etc. I had the opportunity to use these headphones on a long haul flight recently, and have to say I was just a little disappointed at the level of aircraft notice that penetrated. That said, I still only needed the volume on the in-flight system set to the first volume position (very low). I don't know why, but I was hoping for more isolation. My MM50's would have been a better choice for noise isolation.

Sound leakage (my sounds leaking out) seem to be very good. I don't have my music blaring and my wife says that she doesn't hear anything from them. I have slightly large ears and was very pleased with the space within the cup. Both length and also depth. At no point are my ears squeezed or really touching anything which makes them very comfortable in use.

As stated in other reviews, these headphones are fold-able and come with a semi-hard carry case which is a really nice touch and means I can carry them in my work bag without fear of damaging them.

If I was having to pick some negative points or points for improvement they would be:

- Choice of a lighter cable/lead
- Better external sound isolation
- Maybe slightly smaller cups

Overall I am very happy with my purchase and see these lasting me for the next few years.
on 24 October 2011
I've had my pair of 380s for just under two years now and i still love them to this day.

- Brilliant sound reproduction suitable for all types of music.
- Lovely frequency response all across the range; detailed (but not harsh) high end, lovely warm mid and very good bass on the low end.
- Easy drive, these can sound great with portable devices as well as proper hi-fi equipment and computer sound cards.
- Excellent build quality. Construction is good, cable is a long length and a good thickness.
- Folds up easily for convenient transport.
- Comes with a handy travelling case and 3.5mm to 6.3mm adapter.

- Not the most comfortable phone i've ever had. They clamp pretty tight on the head which can get uncomfortable after about an hour. Also with it being so tight your ears warm up fast if the room your in is not cool.
- Not the best looking phone when worn, the headband is a strange shape.
- Considering they are pro headphones there is noticeable coloring to the sound. When i listen to this and compare them with my hi-fi speakers and Grado phones there is a massive difference in sound. However you do get used to this very quickly
- Although wire is good length it is coiled! This is a pain as it looks bad, weighs a lot and puts stress on the headphone jack when you sit far away from the source.

Overall i love these headphones. As musical equipment they are great with a wide frequency response and suitable to all types of music, but aesthetically then are not as good as others i've had by Sennheiser in the past. They can get uncomfortable after a relatively short time which is a shame as the sound they produce is un-fatiguing and down-right nice. Sennheiser could've done with working on the design too as they look pretty weird to wear!
on 11 January 2012
After 3 previous pairs of(high quality) Sennheiser headphones, I can safely say these are my favorite pair. The product is entirely durable, the snapping method feels very strong after 3 months of nearly constant wear. The product contains box packaging sealing The headphones, tough/zip case in which the headphones snap to a mould. Also there is a 1/4" Adapter. Here are my personal pro's and con's as according to my need or regular use:

. Strong sound stage and music placement. (Shown best in the electric counterpoint Steve Reich works)
. Bass accurate but not overpowering,if you are looking for strong bass you may need to look elsewhere. And mids to highs are squeaky clean.
. Case is high build quality matches the black plastic headphones perfectly.
. Headphones are themselves tough and extremely comfortable.
. Cable is long (around 1/2 m) and virtually untangle-able.
. Perfect quality at top and lowest volumes.
. Considerable sound isolation due to 'clamp' mechanism.
. All parts are replaceable and reasonably cheap.
. Standard 3 year warranty

. Due to clamp mechanism headphones are uncomfortable when worn around the neck.
. Coiled cable is perhaps to long for on-the-move use.
. The look of the headphones may not appeal to some people.
. Exposes music of lower quality than 128kbps.

Overall perfect for my home and on the move use and feel as if they have many years of use to come. Sennheiser wins again, those clever devils.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
on 8 March 2011
When I came to buying some new headphones I spent a long time researching, starting with Sennheiser and Sony as they are brands I have used before.
I have previously used The HD 280 for sound engineering at university and found them very balanced and not to biased to bass or treble and almost bought them until I saw these beauties!
The ability to collapse them and the free zip-case that came with them swayed it for me as I now carry them with me everywhere I go.
I use them for everything from eq-ing and monitoring radio microphones to skyping with friends to listening to music (and I tell you, you haven't really heard your music until you plug these babies into your iPod!)

My only dislikes are the coily-cable and the slightly flimsy-feeling folding mechanism (not had any problems yet, touch wood, but it feels a bit flimsy). You also do get a little hot when wearing them for a long period of time, but I recon you'd get that with any proper closed headphones!

All in all, pretty good and extremely pleased with!
on 20 July 2014
Whilst initially I found these headphones to be quite impressive, after some prolonged listening they proved themselves not to be so. The main issue is that the low end frequencies are massively over pronounced, and whilst this sounded okay for some recordings from the 70s which I checked them on (Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" is one of my go-to albums for testing anything) when I tried it with some more recent heavy metal stuff the bottom end became unbearable, even at low volumes it resulted in ear and headaches before the albums were over. I work in a mastering studio and I found these impossible to use for testing my masters on. Sadly this greatly increased low end really ruins what would otherwise be an excellent pair of headphones. Otherwise I found them to have a great deal of detail in the mids and higher ranges, they're incredibly comfortable, sturdy in build and the additional case is very useful.
on 28 December 2010
The headphones were everything I hoped for, and more...but unfortunately they fit a little too tight on the head which leads to your ears getting a bit sweaty if you're in a warm room.

Also the cord is a bit annoying as its curled, I'm going to get that sorted and replaced soon. All those points are superficial in regards to the actual quality of the headphones - which s fantastic.

Conclusion - def buy this but maybe think twice if your studio is very warm..
on 2 August 2010
The sound quality is the best I've heard on any headphones yet, and the build quality is right up there as well. As long as you have the padding covering you head without any gaps, ie glasses creating gaps, the bass response is simply amazing. I had a pair of Sony MDR-V500DJ headphones which broke only after 8 months of use, but looking at the build quality of these headphones I'm sure they will last a lot longer.
on 19 January 2011
I brought these headphones as replacement and improvement on my old HD 205 headphones. After 2 years of service the 205's had failed at the jack; some kind of electrical connection failure. Shame, because for the money they are very good. One of the reason's I brought the 380's is because of the replaceable cable; it is really annoying when something simple like that kills a perfectly good piece of equipment with no chance of repair.

The one thing I have above all else is a good ear for balance and audio quality; apparently, I don't think I am anything special in this field but the rest of my secondary music department used my for anything to do with sound quality. I have been doing music of various forms for the past 12 years (that might have something to do with it, I don't know) and I have never come across anything this good at this price range. I have been lucky enough to have tried a pair of Sennheiser HD 800 headphones (RRP £999!) and of course the 800's are better but for a 8th of the price (on amazon anyway) the 380's produce stunning quality.

For testing purposes I used several tracks on my iPod touch which I thought wolf give the headphones a good work out...

-Enterprising Young Men -Michael Giacchino -Star Trek The motion Picture
-Uprising -Muse - The Resistance
-Adagio For Strings - Tiesto -Parade Of The Athletes
-Four Seasons -Joe Satriani -Live
-1st Movement -Mahler -Symphony Number 4
-Requiem For Tower -Escala -Escala
-Glitter And Trauma -Biffy Clyro -Infinity Land

(All of these, bar Four Seasons was ripped at full quality on iTunes, which was a 480p video on youtube through the touch.)

The 380's performed superbly on every occasion. They gave a very full quality to the brass, allowed the rumble of the timpani's to carry on and even brought out some bass notes that I did not know existed in Enterprising Young Men. Let the synths and guitar sing out while still giving my ears a right good thump in Uprising; not to mention the crack of the snare. Let me hear the tiniest details in the synthisiser of Adagio For Strings while once again letting me hear the rumble of the bass beat. Four Seasons was a surprise though, I seemed quite messy at times, unclear. The guitar stuck out well but the backing sound like a mash of noise. However this was the lowest quality track by a big margin. The sleigh bells in Mahler 4 were crystal clear and the quality of each instrument was superb, even catching the very full sound of the string and woodwind double ups. Requiem For Tower was a wonder. A full and round double bass, singing violins over the top with a forceful and the 380's even showed up the slight rasp from the beginning of the trumpet note. I even heard a guiero in there as well as rainstick which were both completely new to me.
Last but not least Glitter And Trauma. Now I have been to see Biffy on a number of occasions at various venues and I have heard Glitter And Trauma at most of them. Ok, nothing compares to live music but I still got that same excitement and glee when I heard them through the 380's. Yes music is a BIG part of my life and I am probably more emotional about it than most people but you cant deny that you don't get a serious kick when you are in the right place at the right time listening to your favourite piece of music. And these headphones make it all the sweeter.

Overall these are great headphones that please on every level musically and for comfort. The cable is a little heavy but it is going to last a heck of a lot longer than your standard headphone cable and if it does get damages it is replaceable. I am going to spend many hours enjoying my music with these headphones and when I return to reality be very very glad I got them; they are sensational!