Format: Audio CD|Change

on 2 January 2013
Coming from South Africa and being of a certain age, I grew up listening to Rodriguez. I was shocked to learn that it was only SA who had discovered and loved his awesome music - he is nothing short of genius!
on 8 January 2013
Rodriguez was a very big part of my life, growing up in South Africa. He is the humblest of rock icons who for more than 2 decades, didn't realise he was a rock icon. If you wnat to know more, watch the movie Searching For Sugar Man. Learn to love this genius' music and buy his 2 albums, because they will affect your soul and enrich your world.

If you are a fan of Leonard Cohen and Bob Dylan, you MUST listen to Rodriguez!
on 9 March 2013
while a lot of people have said how good he is after seeing the film, i for one, was playing his tracks on my radio show in sydney in the 70s. so glad now that i was proved right..."who the hell is rodriguez?" the most comonly asked question!
he only did 2 albums, both on blue goose music in aussie, but they really are gems of the time. most of his songs are observations of his surroundings etc & they give a unique inside into the mind of a musical genius (like dylan, cohen etc).having been to south africa in the 70s, i was struck by how often i heard his music coming from windows etc.
many times "i wondered" what ever happened to him. many tall tales were told of his demise. how lovely that he shunned all the bull involved in the music industry & still lives a very simple plain life.
buy both his cds & you will not be disappointed. wonderfully crafted songs sung with an angst & plaintive voice perfectly captures the inner city life of detroit in the 70s. thewizardfromaus
on 4 September 2012
Great album what a great performer never heard of him until went to see the film would recommend to anyone to go and see the film if you can
on 17 December 2012
I went to see Sixto Rodriquez in Bristol on the 1st December and bought his CDs afterwards. I saw him due to all the hype I'd read about the documentary Searching for Sugarman, had seen him on Later With Jools and also because I love the Bristol band that were supporting him during all his UK tour dates; Phantom Limb.

I wasn't expecting much, knowing that his CDs were recorded in the 1970 and 1971 and there isn't much music from that era, that stands up that well now - apart from the absolute greats: Beatles, Stones, Who, Kinks, Pink Floyd, Queen, Fleetwood Mac, Roxy Music. However I was very pleasantly surprised. All the songs he played live were instantly memorable and I'd only heard Sugarman before the gig. His voice was much better than it was on Later With Jools and indeed his voice is really distinctive - in a good way! He sounds like a cross between, Donovan, Rod Argent (ex the Zombies), Nick Drake and Dylan (but better tone than Dylan). The audience were very responsive, knew all his lyrics and welcomed him as the long-lost hero he surely is. They particularly went mad for Sugarman, Climb Upon My Music, I Think of You (just lovely - beautifully poignant lyrics and melody), Inner City Blues, I Wonder and To Whom It May Concern, but most of all the other numbers were given a standing ovation too. The support he got from Phantom Limb was amazing - you would think they had played back-up to him for years. They really deserve a big break too. Yolanda Quartey's voice is HUGE, she'd blow Aretha out. I hadn't been to a gig for ages where the audience were so responsive. Elbow was the last gig when I came out on a similar high.

Anyway, getting back to the albums, some of the lyrics are those of that time; Sugarman's references to drug culture, jumpers, coke, Mary Jane, etc., and I think some of his lyrics might be "American-specific." I don't understand some of them, but that's just the same with poetry; the words have an "other-world" kind of beauty. I've come across descriptions of his work as "psychedelic", which I find odd. To me his music is in the folk-rock singer-songwriter genre, but very melodic. The majority of his songs have really beautiful melodies, and I find myself humming one or other of them all the time now and my iPod is constantly playing his stuff. I have pre-ordered the Searching for Sugarman DVD but am gutted that it isn't out before Xmas - that must rank as the biggest marketing faux-pas in many a year - missing out on the Xmas market. No doubt now Rodriguez is a legend, he will get the worldwide recognition that he so thoroughly deserves. A real fairy tale/Cinderella story to warm your heart with a moral - just shows you should never give up! I'd recommend that you buy both albums, as both are equally great.
on 13 September 2013
I suppose like a lot of people who bought this I had never heard of Rodriguez until the movie "In Search of Sugarman". His story was so incredible (un-credible?) that I began to think that I was being conned and it was just a movie pretending to be a pseudo documentary. After watching the movie I decided to buy his two albums from Amazon. I have listened to a lot of music (I'm a music teacher) for over 40 years and I couldn't believe my ears. How was this guy missed? He could teach Bob Dylan, Paul Simon, James Taylor, and Bruce Springsteen, a thing or two about writing songs. His songs are almost perfect. His voice is sublime; as seductive as james Taylor but with an edge (not as harsh as Bob Dylan) that makes you believe in what he's singing about. If you like music, buy this, you won't be disappointed - this is a masterclass in writing songs about the struggles of the working man.
on 27 September 2014
If you find this album and do not already have " Cold Fact " You must, must get both. You will never regret it. You may never dance to these poetic stories but your soul will swell and be moved. The work of Sixto Rodriguez is more than just music. He must have been made to deliver to us some difficult truths and hard to swallow honesty, and somewhere, somehow, it didn't quite go to plan. But now you have the chance to face up to some of your own REALITY. Sung to you by a fascinating man. As sweet as Sugar. Listen to the album[s] as a whole and be satisfied you made a good choice today.
on 28 July 2013
i loved the first album and this one is great too but it lacks any killer tracks like sugar man or the one about how many times shed had sex... Still, saw the documentary, loved the fairy tale story and am enkoying the album
on 15 January 2010
Another Masterpiece

The Cold Fact is, this piece of music is pure excellence. Having been listening to his 1st album [Cold Fact] for the past 25yrs. I was eager, to say the least, to get my fill of his 2nd Album [After The Fact, Coming From Reality] & i certainly was not dissapointed. The Question, is it better than 'Cold Fact', is a question discussed by my friends & myself. What we came up with was "ask us in 25yrs". No it isn't 'Cold Fact', it is 'After The Fact, Coming From Reality' & it is exactly what it's title describes. The guy is a lyrical genius only rivaled by Dylan & that is some accolade. As Rodriguez suggests 'Climb Upon My Music', you will not be dissapointed. Hat's off to the guy. He is the man.
on 30 May 2014
Alright, so it's not the master piece that the previous record is, but it still has the same story telling, the same atmospheric textures, if not the same atmosphere. The authenticity and content of this record might not sit comfortably with everyone, which goes some way to explaining the mixed reviews, but it is worth the time to listen to, and not just have on in the background, but listen to.
Rodriguez is a master, and the sooner you climb up on his music, the richer your life will be.