Format: DVD|Change

on 7 January 2009
Yes, of course if you've read the books you should definitely go see the movie. And yes, you will probably enjoy it. BUT, that said, as a book-to-movie adaptation, of course it could also be better.

Personally, I always wonder where they find the screenwriters who're crazy enough to take on a job like this. No matter what you do, no matter how faithful you are to the book, or conversely how much you change it, very, very rarely is a film version ever better than the novel that stemmed it. Twilight is no exception.

Certainly, it has it's good points. The casting, for one, I think is exceptional: while I had some qualms before I saw it, I loved all the actors, and wouldn't change a single one. They have their moments, of course, but for a young cast they're really rather impressive, particularly Robert Pattinson: I'm disappointed Catherine Hardwicke wouldn't let him play the part as 'dark' as he wanted to.

And that, I think, is where most of the problems with this film lie: with Hardwicke, its director, and Melisssa Rosenberg, it's screenwriter. For starters, I can't help but question Rosenberg's credentials. She's written a lot for TV, but only one other screenplay to date (that being 'Step Up', of all things) and sure, everyone's got to start somewhere... but with one of the biggest films of the year? Maybe not.

I can't fathom many of the changes Rosenberg made. Adding in scenes like the extra scenes with the 'bad' vampires, thus shifting the films emphasis from the 'love story' to the 'action' or 'horror' factor, or like the entirely pointless Biology trip (the conversation that took place there could easily have happened in its original setting), and shifting the order of scenes... the entire Port Angeles scene was thrown out of sync by the fact that Bella did not find out Edward was a vampire until after. And then when she planned to confront him, she went off into the forest with him, not knowing he was 'vegetarian'! In the book, I never thought of Bella as crazy... in the film, I can't help but question it. I simply do not understand the need to change things like that, which would have been so much better if left as they originally were.

Then there's the fact that both Rosenberg and Hardwicke seem greatly preoccupied with showing of the 'scenery' of the the American Northwest. Great, so there are lots of trees. We don't need to see Bella and Edward running off into the woods and climbing trees (besides the point that Edward would never let Bella do that anyway because he'd be too scared of Bella falling out of one), because its supposed to be from Bella's perspective... and Bella doesn't like the great out doors and Forks, in her opinion is far too 'green'. So, skip the theatrics, and give us the love story.

But, err... what love story? If you have not read the books, you could call Bella and Edward's romance entire non-sensical. They've barely talked to each other, and suddenly they're saying 'I'm only afraid of losing you' or 'you're my life now'. Although, never once do they say 'I love you'. And isn't that what it's really supposed to be about? The ultimate love story. Sadly, it's not.

But,all that said, i will see the film again, and I will be buying it on DVD because the essence of Stephenie Meyers work is still there. The plot is still good, the characters still similiar (though Bella is more annoying), and Kristen Stewart and Rob Pattinson do have good chemistry, they're just not given enough chance to prove it.

I really hope they do better with examining the love story in 'New Moon'... but seeing as there's less of it, I really doubt it.
2222 comments| 235 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 February 2009
I had never read the Twilight books when I went to see the movie. I vaguely remember the hype of Breaking Dawn's release, but it didn't mean anything to me. I saw the queues for the opening of the film and it meant nothing to me, apart from about 3000 people in Dublin being stupid enough to queue for hours in the rain to see a film.

I love vampires and werewolves though, so, at a loose end one weekend, I convinced my boyfriend that it wasnt a horror, and there was nothing else to do. we laughed for about the first hour. it was very funny. But by the middle of the tree top scene I was hooked. we both were.

I rushed home and ordered all four books that night. I read the series straight through twice, and dragged my mom to see the film with me. (I'm in my mid 20's, she's considerably older....)I sat, completely unmoving the whole way through the move. it was like I was greeting old friends. once I knew the story, all of the humour went out of the film, and it became totally engrossing. my mom thought so too.

lots of little things were changed, obviously. the book is better. obviously. I didnt like Stewert (?) as Bella. she played her as too self assured, too graceful. it wasnt Bella for me. But Pattinson brought Edward to life in a way that was so different. I actually liked him more after seeing the film that in the books.

Kellan Lutz is missing the dimples and curls but hes still the same adorable, deep as a puddle Emmet we all love.

the film is more of a companion to the book, it makes the scenery solid. I thought that was actually a plus of the movie, I knew what the characters looked like, I was a little fuzzy on what their neighbourhood was like. the film filled that in. when midnight Sun is published the three will stand together to give a 360 view of Bella and the Cullens world.

WIll I buy the DVD? yes. WIll I watch it a million times, of course. but I'll read the books one million and one ;)
88 comments| 209 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 August 2012
I think that watching Twilight for the second time was one of the best ideas I have had for a long time. The Sorrows of loosing a parent to someone else and having to move your entire life and live with your other estranged parent is in my opinion portrayed wonderfully by Kristen Stewart.

Having never joined a new school myself the awkwardness, discomfort and inadequacies that are portrayed really give me a feeling of how hard it must be for someone of 16 or 17 years old to want to give up and lose hope. Especially if someone you have a crush seems to not want to know you at all.

Robert Pattinson plays his role brilliantly. He is able to make a smooth transition from utter disdain to showing how much his character, Edward, cares for Bella's emotional and physical well-being.

Catherine Hardwicke's direction and the use of camera angles, especially landscape and horizon shots really took my breathe away. Showing such a beautiful scenic location in almost every scene and of course the use of steady-cam and cam-cranes really makes you feel as though you're right in the middle of all the action. The baseball scene in particular is a favourite of mine because it shows the strength, speed, agility and playful side of vampires and how they're not just bloodthirsty sadistic killers.

Carter Burwell's score really sets every scene from slow heart warming ballads to a fast heart pounding rush of emotion that really puts every hair on end. All in all I have to say that Twilight is one of the best films I have seen in the last 10 years. From the amazing award winning cast, beautiful scenery, fantastic soundtrack and the elegant execution of page to screen. Well Done.
-- Chris Brown, 31 Chesterfield
on 16 January 2009
I am a self-confessed twihard. I've lost track of the number of times I've read the book and I've seen the film 3 times at the cinema, and I will be buying the DVD. However...

Generally a good film and anyone who has read the books will love it, but there is a concern that those who have not read the books will miss a lot of the subtlties and not understand parts of the plot. Anyone who is looking for a 'normal' vampire film (e.g. underworld) should not bother, it's not that sort of vampire film.

The first time I saw it I was caught in the story from start to finish and I couldn't even think of any criticisms until I had time to reflect, since then several faults have come to light.

1) Casting. Brilliant with one exception - Jasper. I mean no offence to the actor but in the books he's described as a 'brooding movie star'. While the actor does what he can some serious work neds to be done in the sequils to bring him up to the level of the other characters.

2) Essential elements have been missed out. In the books there are more moments between Bella and Edward as they get to know each other, by missing these out (presumably to attempt to attract more males) the relationship between them appears to jump from hating each other to being in love with no inbetween stage.

3) Extra bits added. While some added bits are brilliant (particularly going to meet the Cullens) some is completely unnecessary and could have been left out to make more room for the relationship. Bits to remove include the first murder by the nomads and standing in the trees.

4) The script. In some places laughable, the declarations of love just appear out of the blue and are put across too seriously. The humor of Edward has been lost and it just ruins it, although hopefully this will be remedied in the sequils.

5) Special effects. It was a low budget film and it shows.

If you can look past it's flaws if is a great film to loose yourself in for a couple of hours and enjoyable for anyone looking for a bit of romance. but I would recommend reading the books first.
on 28 April 2012
Before i start i just want to mention that im a 30 year old old woman with 3 children and a huge horror/thriller lover. Dont really like syfy far fetched stuff, so anyway!
a few of my good friends are all going on about how good TWILIGHT and the rest of the movies are "edward this "edward that "jacub this "jacub that (r u team edward or team jacub?) WHAT THE HELL they talking about, their married women in their 30s being obsessed with teenage movies and teenage boys. i had to laugh must be going through mid life crisis early lol.
So one night i was sitting flicking through channels and saw that twilight was just about to start and thought i would see what all the hype was about, well let me tell you i was hooked within the first 20 mins and couldnt look away. I couldnt honestly take my mind of it all night i was hooked and still am!
Ive since ordered all the books and all the movies and i watch the movies one after another then when ive finished i start again and same with the books haha (how sad am i)
Anyway all i can say never judge until you watch something and im a huge lover of the twilight series
I would highly recommend this film!
OHH YEH AND IM TEAM EDWARD!!!!!!
on 10 April 2010
Twilight - 2 Disc Special Edition [DVD] [2008]

Absolutely fabulous. I watched the film before the the 'Extras' disc. I wish I hadn't. Having read all the Twilight Saga books first, I was initially disappointed with the film. However, I changed my mind after watching the 'Extras' disc. It explains a lot about the making of the film, why particular parts of the book weren't included, interviews with the cast and Stephenie Meyers -too much to mention here but it all enhances your enjoyment of the film. When I watched Twilight over again I thought, 'Yeh, now I understand'. It rocks. I don't think I'll ever get tired of it. Just purchased New Moon - Two Disc Special Edition. I'd go for the Special Editions everytime from now on. You just get so much more from the film.
on 24 June 2016
As a open minded male I quite like the whole series although, they did need more fighting in pretty much every film and the films would probably be almost perfect. It is a shame as they seem to be more aimed at teenage girls.

Worth a watch though.
on 25 February 2009
I went to see this the weekend it first came out on the recommendation of some people who had read the books - definately the best movie I have seen in a very long time! I love pretty much all vampire movies, but essentially this is a love story and it loses none of it's integrity from either genre in translation to film. The chemistry between Bella and Edward is fantastic and that's central to the film - it's rare to see that, and essentially given that their epic love is supposed to compare to Rome & Juliett I'm so glad they got the casting right. The movie's also not shot in the typical smoothe Hollywood fashion, instead it's much more vivid with interesting camera angles that completely draw you in. The scenary in the film is also absolutely amazing and gives the film a real vitality - it's almost worth seeing for that alone regardless of the story.

The film got me so addicted I decided to read the books to find out if they were better (inevitably they were as you get the extra detail), and then I went back to see the movie with a different friend which was an interesting comparison. Actually the essence of the books is captured really well - as I said the chemistry between Bella and Edward was vital. As to the rest of the casting, having read the books I absolutely couldn't fault it (which is rare). The movie makes perfect sense without reading the books, so it can definately stand alone. In order to translate a book to film, inevitably some really good scenes from the book have to be cut, and the changed script in places did help to convey some of the additional information that you need to understand the context. However, on second viewing (after reading the books) I was left a bit baffled as to why they changed the some of the scenes and story order completely unnecessarily (e.g. the change to a field trip, going to Port Angeles before Bella works out fully what Edward is). Also, whilst I get they were probably playing up the 'vampire movie' angle, the books didn't need to focus on the 'other' vampires hunting and I would have preferred the movie not to spend so much time on those additions, but to instead tried to convey the sense of time passing a bit more - the book is set out over an entire academic year where as the movie tells us 'a month' (via Mike's prom referenc), which is worth remembering if you are wondering why Bella and Edward go from frosty to talking about forever quite so quickly in the film! The extra scene that I did, however, absolutely love was when Edward took Bella up into the trees - great effects, absolutely amazing scenary and you got a real sense of the romance between them - I really missed it when I read the book!

As I say, an absolutely brilliant move, well worth seeing. It's one of the very few movies I've every paid to see twice and would be willing to pay full price for the DVD.
on 16 November 2009
After all the hype you would have expected a touch of plot, a soupcon of acting, a drop of fair to middling dialogue but no. What do we have instead?? A pasty, whining, wimpy boy who happens to be a vampire (big deal) and the twist is he wants to do the impaling. Enter the "personal brand of heroine", a drippy, pasty, sour faced auld boot who mopes around for two hours wanting to get her mitts on vlad's stake. Trust me, you'll all be demanding narcotics if only to get you through the two hours of crud. Oh, and if bagging a vamp isn't enough for missy, her indian mate turns out to be a werewolf who wants to howl at her moon. Let me guess, next we're gonna be enduring her getting it on with the mummy or is that too risque for a kids film??
VINE VOICEon 10 September 2009
It's a well known fact that some books do not make great movies. Twilight is one of them.
Whilst remaining faithful to the plot, the characters are not nearly as rounded and as complex as in the original novel. In fact, the two main characters seem somewhat dull, especially Edward, who is an extremely watered-down version of the Edward we meet in the novel.
On the whole, the film works as your typical girl-meets-boy-and-faces-adversity teen movie, and it is watchable. But having read and loved the novel, I feel that it should have been much more than that. The book attracted a wide audience, despite being initially aimed at the young adult market. However, the film doesn't have the same demographic simply because it's not quite good enough to attract the same wide audience.
It's a shame, because it could have been so much better if more thought had been put into it.