Top positive review
23 people found this helpful
Actually not that hard to assemble, and he absolutely loves it !
on 3 April 2016
This toy was bought for my son's 2nd birthday, expecting that he'll like it as he loves anything on wheels. I was right! My son's been playing with it for over 2 weeks now and absolutely loves it. His favorite action seems to be opening the door to get in and then closing it. Oh and not to forget honking the horn and turning the start key. So here's my detailed review of the product:
Price & Packaging:
- I paid £31.99 in March 2016.
- At the time of purchase, I though that this was a good price as having seen it at a family friend's house I though that it should cost at least £50.
- It came in an Amazon branded box which then contained the actual toy's box/packaging (see pics)
- As can be expected from Amazon, it was packaged securely to ensure no damage is incurred whilst in transit
Construction & Body:
- The car is built of strong plastic and feels quite sturdy once assembled.
- Only the left side door opens to allow the child to get into the car. The fact that only one door opens does not suggest a defect nor does it depict a bad design. My son is actually able to slide into the car from the non-opening side of the car. The door has a locking feature with the following three possible settings, of which only one can be selected during assembly:
1) Door in permanent lock position
2) Door in permanent unlock position
3) Door can be locked or unlocked as need be.
- The steering turns but is in no way connected to the wheels to steer the direction of the car.
- There is a horn in the center of the steering that beeps upon depressing it.
- There is a start key that turns and makes a sound whilst doing so.
- There are two slots at the back of the car that are suitable to stand a water bottle to keep your little one hydrated whilst venturing outside.
- The tires are made of plastic and although I believe they will survive being used on a pavement, I think they are better suited indoors on smooth surfaces e.g. laminate.
- There is a fuel cap that opens and closes.
- I had noted that a lot of people had complained about how difficult it was to put this together so I was mentally prepared for a challenging job whilst ordering this product. But to my pleasant surprise it was pretty straight forward to put this together (albeit time consuming) and I faced none of the issues that others had complained about. So either they have complained unfairly, or perhaps the manufacturer has acted upon receiving feedback and rectified some of the issues.
- In addition, many people also complained about sharp edges that had to be filed once the car had been put together, again I experienced none of that and am convinced that it is safe for my toddler to play with the car.
- The main thing to bear in mind whilst assembling this is to give yourself plenty of time and ensure you have all the right tools. Also read the instructions carefully and patiently. I agree that one needs to be at least an average DIY'er to be able to complete this task correctly so if you are unsure then get some help.
- Although the product documentation recommends 2 persons to assemble it, it took me alone around 1 hour and 35 minutes to assemble it end-to-end, including sticking the decals etc. And although I am quite comfortable with putting together flat packs, I do not by any measure consider myself an expert DIY'er.
- Please do note that a drill and a hammer will be required for the assembly. Not everyone will have easy access to a drill so please be aware of this before purchasing.
- It is recommended to arrange some sort of soft material that can absorb hammer strokes. This will be needed whilst hammering the axle ends especially if you would be working on hard/delicate surfaces such as tiles or laminate flooring. I took a piece of the cardboard packaging that the car came in and folded it a few times to make it into a nice thick piece of cardboard that could be used to absorb the hammer strokes.
- Ensure you give yourself plenty of space to put this together
- Do not attempt to assemble this anywhere near your child as not only does the assembly contain small parts that could be a choking hazard, but if the child runs away with a part or misplaces one then you may not be able to complete the assembly.
- In short, my son absolutely loves the car and we love it because he enjoys playing with it. I feel the price paid was reasonable for the quality of the product received and I do not have any safety concerns regarding the car. I would happily recommend this to anyone looking to treat a loved one.