Price:£51.62 - £161.58

on 15 September 2011
Bought this HRM to use while running and mountain biking. It is very good looking which makes it a pleasure to wear even when I'm not training, and when training all the functions are very useful, and given I don't need the GPS tracking (I use my cellphone for that)It's the best match between price/functionality I've found.

The watch and the chest strap are comfortable and work perfectly, just wish there was a way to transfer the info to the PC without having to spend more money on the Polar transmitter, and that it had a bit more memory to store previous trains.

UPDATE 12-01-2014

While I maintain my previous observations about the Polar RS300X I have since significantly lowered it's review out of the simple fact that after about one and a half year one the plastic cover of the buttons fell off, merely an aesthetically problem as it continued working and being waterproof and after two years(not daily use, maybe 2 time a week only) the bracelet broke and there is no way to replace it has the whole casing and bracelet are a single piece, rendering the watch useless! Terrible design flaw.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 January 2013
Very pleased with this HRM. I had a more basic one but the additional information that is captured and broken down is very helpful. Whereas I used to note my heart rate but fairly well ignored it in terms of adjusting my pace. With this Polar RS300X I have run much more to the pace I should.

The HRM reads the heart rate very reliably and accurately. I don't have the GPS or footpod attachments but using the Endomondo app with my mobile provides all the information I need.

I have found the fitness test useful in setting a benchmark and will be interested to monitor improvements over time.

I did wonder whether the £20 more than a simple model was worth spending. I think that the additional functionality did make this a good investment for me. Whether it is better value for you, you will need to judge.

Overalll, highly recommended.
on 24 November 2009
Having been training regularly for little over a year I felt I needed something to kickstart my regime again, as I felt I'd plateau'd. I kept reading people's suggestions online and in various magazines about heart rate monitors but never felt I'd need one as, though I want to get fit, it's hardly a pressing priority in my life. I exercise as regularly as I can and that's enough for me. But I'd noticed my time in the gym wasn't proving as effective and I felt to some extent a little disheartened when spending a lot of time training and not reaping the benefits. So I needed a new decent sports watch and looking on Amazin found this Polar RS300X for slightly more than I wanted to pay, but given it's heart rate monitor, a bargain price.

I've had this now for four weeks and can honestly say its totally reinvigorated my training. what's more, due to the set-up I have I now train faster and harder in the time allotted. So my training has improved, I'm back on track and I'm actually spending less time doing weights, as I'm well aware that I need to try to keep my heart rate round my specific target. No time for slacking off, so it helps keep pushing me on.

The heart rate monitor is an essential tool in training, be it for professionals or amateurs. This one is the first I've owned and I love it, plus its a funky orange colour! Great watch, great training device with tons of functions. Excellent value. I can't recommend it enough.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 August 2011
Strap has broken within 18 months of purchase. As the watch is built in such a way that the strap can't be replace the watch is now useless!
Built in redundancy??
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 February 2015
Only let down by the fact that you cant replace the strap as it is all one unit. Functionally no issues though
on 7 February 2010
This HRM does what it says on the tin. I wear it all the time as it is a good regular watch, not too bulky or ugly, as it is a HRM. I use it just with the chest strap, but I like the fact I have the option to buy other accessories to enhance it's performance, footpod etc.
on 24 December 2010
I have been using this monitor for nearly a year now and I am quite happy with it. I use it for spinning lessons and when I am out training. The fitness test is quite useful as well as the training diary. Even after a year of use the watch still looks like new and is wearing well.
on 2 March 2015
This is an excellent buy, easy to use although the instructions that come with it are a bit vague but easy to down load the full instructions from the polar website. However it may not be suitable for very petite women like myself as the face of the watch is rather large and is very uncomfortable. Also if like myself you wear weight lifting gloves, the edge of the gloves hits the control pins and as they are extremely sensitive this alters the display. I have reverted back to my old polar watch and wear it with the new chest band.
on 26 November 2011
I bought this hrm expecting it to be good, however it didn't always pick my my heart rate - it missed a few beats consistently. When you're training at a high level, you just can't have that - it's got to be spot-on. I currently have a very reasonable hrm (£25) which picks up my heart rate perfectly, so on reflection, perhaps this one was faulty. Also, the heart rate alarm kept sounding over 174bpm, even when I tld it my age was 18 yrs (to increase max heart rate). Inputting age seems to make no difference in this respect. Believe it or not, but my cheap £25 hrm which I currently use gives a more accurate reading of my heart rate than the Polar RS300. Very poor procuct imo, would not recommend at all. Also the instruction manual is very poor - very few of the features are explained or even mentioned at all - I honestly couldn't believe it. I returned it to Amazon who are currently processing my refund. Excellent service as always from Amazon, much appreciated.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 May 2010
I wanted to write this review to express my dissatifaction with the Polar RS300X with G1 GPS sensor. I have purchased Polar products twice before and was very happy with the products until I purchased this one.
To Begin with, the telemetry strap works intermittently. While the strap will work for five to six days, when it stops working it I have reapplied water to the sensors, detached and reattached the transmitter, stopped and restarted the exercise monitoring program on the wrist watch, readjusted the strap, checked to make sure the battery cover is still closed, and still was not able to get a heart rate signal. It is not until after 20-30 minutes of leaving the watch program on that I exit the program and then restart it and it actually starts working, but I am usually done with my work out.
Lastly, the GPS sensor is the most aggrivating piece of equipment I have ever used. There is only one button to operate it and having consulted the onstructions several times I am still unable to get it to start working after the first button press. In fact, I end up pressing the button ~ten times just to get the red light to blink once, then another ~ten times before it starts blinking steadily looking for satellites. It has taken anywhere from a minute to as much as ten minutes to get a GPS signal. Usually it works fine afterwards, but today when I finished my run it had switched itself off.
To be fair, the watch works excelellently and the USB link works flawlessly so no complaints there.
I bought this watch primarily for it's recording abiity so the failures of the GPS and and at times the telemetry strap is causing a disruption in my training as I at times spend up to 20 minutes just getting the sensors to work and when I up load my data to the web site it is erroneous since it is missing heart rate, distance, and speed data.
I would recommend chosing the Garmin fitness monitor watch over this watch as I was thinking on getting it but thought I could trust Polar's products based off of previous purchases.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse