Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£6.59

on 1 April 2002
Lauryn Hill's debut solo album is one of the best debut's I've ever heard. She put it all together by herself with help of additional song elements, musicians, producers and vocals the album becomes are big success! The introduction of the album gives you a rough idea of what the album is about. She talks about her reality in this album being her caring mother in "To Zion" with Carlos Santana playing the guitar. She also talks about young people and their problems in "Doo Wop (That Thing)" and "Everything Is Everything" She talks about her past "Every Ghetto, Every City" her present "The Miseducation Of Lauryn Hill" and her future in some parts of other songs. "Lost Ones" pure hip hop "Forgive Them Father" religious Jamaican song with help from "Concrete Jungle" by Bob Marley with a guest apperance by Shelly Thunder. She talks also about love "Ex-Factor" "When It Hurts So Bad" "I Used To Love" with Mary J. Blige "Nothing Even Matters" with D'Angelo and "Superstar" with elements of "Light My Fire" by popular 70's and 80's group The Doors. She also speaks about the "Final Hour" and does a nice cover of "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" with the album ending in "Tell Him" I would say go and get the album it has all music styles ranging from pop to hip hop. Buy it now!
on 4 January 2000
I think it takes something to reduce a man to tears, and this album did it. With what was technically her debut album, Lauryn Hill proved that she could take influences from Stevie Wonder, Aretha Franklin and Bob Marley and still put her own spin on it. Like Stevie Wonder's 1976 album 'Songs in the Key of Life', 'The Miseducation....' is diverse, both musically and lyrically.
You can hear gospel, soul, r&b, hip-hop, reggae.....etc She sings about love with deep, heartfelt passion ('Ex-factor'), religion ('Forgive Them Father'), her past and childhood ('Every Ghetto Every City'), motherhood ('To Zion'), hip-hop ('Superstar') as well as life in general (Everything is Everything'). This is simply a classic album, and maybe unrepeatable. If there is an album to own from the 1990's it is this one.
VINE VOICEon 24 January 2004
It's very hard for to make a definit choice when someone asks me what my favourite album of all time is, but this album is definitely up there in my top 5!

I think this album is somewhat underrated because the singles 'Ex Factor' and 'Doo Wop (That Thing)', do not represent the brilliance of the album. Fantastic in their own right, I don't think they are the stand out tracks of the album.

There's a lot of different musical influences on this album which is what has made it such a critically acclaimed milestone in musical history. I'd say 90% of this album is solely put together by Lauryn Hill with influences ranging from hip hop, soul, R n B and Jazz.

The standout tracks for me had to be the "hidden" ones which are "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" (an incredible reworking of the famous song) and "Tell Him" (strong beats and some amazing vocal harmonies going on here). However, you can't slate any track from this album as they all differ from each other. Also amazing is the track 'Miseducation of Lauryn Hill', with some incredible piano work going on.

I don't want to break down the album reviewing track by track because this is really something you need to hear for yourself. If you like real talent or even just the amazing voice of Lauryn, do not delay in buying this!
on 13 June 2000
One of the smoothest and classiest albums I've ever heard! I'm not a big fan of the black US hip-hop type scene, but this was recommended to me and its been one of my favourite albums ever since!
As far as I'm concerned, this is the definitive summer album! Never ever drive to the beach without this on the stereo.
The released songs are obviously classy (doo wop etc), but the album is consistently superb - with the duet with Carlos Santana a definate high point!
I defy anyone to but this and be disappointed!
A modern day classic.
on 29 January 2004
"The Miseducation of..." shows the artists of the R&B/Soul/Hip-Hop genre how a real album is done. Undeniably 1998's Grammy winner: ALBUM OF THE YEAR. (Back when the Grammy's recognized good music!).
The critically acclaimed record features vast amounts of musical diversity. From hard-core hip-hop on "Lost Ones", to the Spanish Guitar intro of "To Zion", to its sweet but hard hit gospel chorus, to the organic melody of "Everything Is Everything", to the classical piano training of the title track.
Mrs. Hill addresses many themes/subjects which other artists in the genre won't. She questions the negativity and (sexual) immorality of hip-hop acts on "Superstar", to the emotionally killing Love/Hate romance we've all experienced on "Ex-Factor". To warning us about the dangers of sexual immorality on "Doo Wop (That Thing)", to God's unchanging grace and forgiveness on "Forgive Them Father", all the way to testimonial Lauryn on "Final Hour".
Like most R&B albums, a vast majority of songs feature samples of '60s and '70s songs. On "Superstar" she cleverly incorporates lyrical and musical excerpts of Jim Morrison and the Doors' classic "Light My Fire" to prove her point on the downfall of pop music. Another highlight of '60s flashback is on her rendition of karaoke hit "Can't Take My Eyes Off You".
It is thought provoking, inspirational, fascinating and even life changing. Lauryn makes people around the world think of their actions. In my opinion one of the greatest gospel records, my opinion of 'Gospel' is telling people of God's word. And the way Lauryn Hill gives us lectures on Christian ethics in the C21st on sex, money, temptation and sin never sounded so good!
This album gets a well deserved 5/5, because it's one of the most soulful, real and relatable album of 1998 to 2003. Plus Lauryn wrote, arranged and produced the entire album, not bad for a One-Woman show!
on 21 October 2014
WONDERFUL EDITION, THE UNCERTAINTY THAT WERE BOUGHT THIS EDITION BONUS TRACKS AS would come, BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT INCLUDED IN THE HOOD .. LOVE THIS DISC LP

Disc: 1 SIDE A

4. Everything Is Everything 04:57
5. The Miseducation Of Lauryn Hill 03:55
6. Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You 04:29
7. Tell Him 04:40

ON THE COVER ONLY CONTAIN THE NAME OF THE ORIGINAL SONGS ALBUM LAUNCHED IN NORMAL, THE BONUS TRACKS ARE HIDDEN

THIS EDITION VINYL IS WONDERFUL
on 16 November 1999
If you like any of her songs, you will definitely like this cd. This is a wicked cd. If you like anything with a little bit of funk and a little bit of soul and a little bit of rhythm and, well, everything this is one heck of a cd. When I first purchased it, I only listened to "Doo Wop (that thing)" over and over again. However, once the novelty of this song wore off - and don't get me wrong, I still love it - I began to listen to the rest of the songs. All the reviews and all the
awards were absolutely well deserved and she should have received even more. For a solo debut, this cd is incredible. Shoot - it would be incredible for a third or fourth release much less a debut! I can hardly wait for her to come out with her next release, as I will be the first in line. Lauryn Hill is an amazing artist and a great role model for struggling young women. I would recommend this cd in a heartbeat.
on 14 September 2015
I love this album and think the classroom narrative throughout the album is really well used, original and well recorded. I obviously knew songs like Everything is Everything, but the song I have come to repeat is To Zion. Lauryn's melodic singing coupled with her strong speaking/rapping voice is a beautiful contrast. I have read many comments on YouTube comparing her to Nicky Minaj and whilst I like Nicky's rapping, her singing voice is so diluted in production, I believe there is no comparison. This album is truly brilliant and is a different experience to just buying individual tracks. It is an album you can put on and enjoy, without straining your ears and makes you feel a part of the music with the message of love. Also, Lauryn is not bad to look at, so deserves respect for not over-using her sexuality to sell her music. The half-life of her music and the Fugees will be a hell of a lot longer than those who do.
on 9 March 2005
Quite simply one of the best albums of the 90s, probably one of the best albums ever.
It is a little difficult to put your finger on why this album is so fantastic - is it Lauren Hill's wonderful voice? The way that the album seamlessly blends a variety of musical styles, including soul, reggae and hip-hop? The fantastic guests including Mary J. Blige and Carlos Santana? The excellent material (although the material is so uniformly excellent that the singles do not really stand out)?
This album has stood the test of time and sounds as fresh today as it did when it was first released.
It is an essential element in everyone's collection. If you do not already own it, find it and buy it.
on 29 October 2004
this is a really great cd as u can see from the title. some of the better tracks are- ex factor, which has some excellent harmonies on it (not included in the track listing above- confused about that because i only got my copy about a week ago and it has it on it so ???), doo-wop (that thing), and nothing really matters. lauryn's voice is so great on this album it's unbelievable. almost as good as the fugee's greatest hits, but i'm sure the rest of the tracks will grow on me, seeing as i haven't really heard many of the tracks on it. hey, i'm only twelve!