Format: MP3 DownloadChange

on 7 February 2007
Confessing that Duran Duran have been my secret guilty pleasure over the years has not given me much cause for regret. I doubt I'm alone in my admiration for a band that provided a bright, optimistic soundtrack to the cold, cynical `80s that were my formative years. With their star once again in the ascendancy, this 1998 retrospective demonstrates the superior quality of their material compared to most of their pop contemporaries.

Duran Duran have not only had their own distinct and evocative sound, but the calibre of their songwriting also impresses. "Save A Prayer" still sounds as rich and luscious as it did in 1982, and it won't surprise a new listener that the poignant and moving "Ordinary World" won an Ivor Novello award for songwriting in 1994.

Listening to "Planet Earth" and "Girls On Film", it's strange to think that chart-busting pop music was once this fresh and versatile. I can also still recall the "night versions" of these tracks - the band were certainly among the first to remix extended versions of their standard tracks. Back then people with dangerously flammable hair danced to them in discos and nightclubs, now the remixes usually are the standards.

Having the videos on the second disc of "Greatest" is fantastic value for money, as the band's videos are some of the most (in)famous in music history and terrific nostalgia. The "Wild Boys", "Girls On Film" and "Rio" videos bring back all sorts of memories and imitating Simon Le Bon's ludicrous dancing on "Planet Earth" with a friend is the most fun I've had in my front room for months.

I had assumed that the more obvious pop anthems such as "The Reflex" and "Wild Boys" would sound much more dated to my 21st century ears than it actually turned out, and more recent material such as "Serious" and "Electric Barbarella" gives you the sense that you really may have missed something when Le Bon and Rhodes soldiered on with the franchise through the 90s.

This really is a terrific collection, great value for money.
on 18 August 2009
I purchased Duran Duran's greatest hits as I was attending Lovebox, a London festival, where they were due to play. Having grown up with Duran Duran providing a soundtrack to my childhood I know the songs but had long forgotten how much I actually liked them. The album is full of classic pop songs, from an era where originality was in abundance.

Seeing them live was brilliant. Yes, so Simon and the gang are not quite the 'wild boys' they once were but they delivered a slick performance and did the originals justice but added an up to date twist. That said the songs hold their own and still sound fresh today.
on 26 June 2006
I don't like writing reviews but this time I can't help it ! I don't understand why this CD isn't enough reviewed yet ! This is a true must-have for any Duran fan and an excellent way for newcomers to start with. The compilation is beyond my expectations, the DVD is simply awesome ! Buy it before it disappears.
on 12 June 2006
The CD has all the main hits (pre Astronaut) plus a few lesser known hits. Some songs are edited versions so if that is an issue, beware. This is especially evident on the Rio tracks and Ordinary World. For most people, though, these are the versions they know having heard them on the radio for 20+ years. I could say that such and such song should have been included (OK, Violence of Summer) but can not find any real fault in the selection. The sound quality is fine which should not be a surprise; the sound quality of DD was always top class.

The DVD has all the songs from the CD in addition to The Chauffeur and Burning the Ground. The clean version of Girls on Film is included which in my case works well since my 3 year old son watches these videos a lot. The bulk of the videos have aged well, in particular the early songs and those from the Wedding Album. The sound quality here, however, is sub-par, with no surround alternatives.

Overall this is a fine anthology of DD both Sight & Sound wise, although it is tempting ducking a star due to the lack of surround sound in the DVD format.
on 2 May 2006
I have always been a fan of Duran Duran, I thought they were great. It took me years to get hold of their greatest hits album but now I have. Its a good album which lists all of their hits way back to the early '80s. From the likes of 'is there something i should know' with its catchy beat and memorable chorus all the way to the '90s with underrated 'come undone' this album will take you on a trip down memory lane. My favourites are 'Girls on film', 'Save a prayer' and 'Hungry like the wolf' but theres not a bad track on the album. The lyrics are genuine unlike some of the rubbish thats been in the charts. I feel duran duran's greatest rounds off their finest hits quite nicely. Outstanding cd.
on 9 November 2008
Featuring all of Duran's mega 80's hits, and a few 90's ones you may not be familiar with, this collection of hits is an excellent compiliation of the bands best work.
Almost timeless hits on here which quite rightly get their due, a Duran Duran greatest hits had been long overdue, and in 1998 with their commercial success at an all time low, this release was a timely reminder of how good they are.
Re-released in 2004 to even better commerical success during a sell out UK tour, Duran Duran proved that chart success may only be temporary, but class is permenant.
on 1 April 2008
on 16 June 2006
I have never been a fan of Duran Duran, having my female cousins worship them in the 1980's! Having recently heard a few of their songs on the radio I thought I would look to see if they had a greatest hits CD.

When I listened through it I did not realise how many wonderful songs they had created. Some brilliant, subtle chord changes and Simon Le Bons amazing voice. The songs range from really good to great.

The songs have not really dated. They still sound fresh, however they do bring back a feeling of nostalgia.

I have heard some of their recent music on the UK's Radio 2 and these songs have been great. Unlike other 80's bands such as The Pet Shop Boys, Duran Duran's material has been consistently good.

I had the pleasure of meeting Simon Le Bon on a British Airways flight to New York recently. He was asked if a smitten stewardes could come and say hello to him in First Class, he actually got up, walked to the galley in Economy. Sat on an upturned container and chatted with us crew for half an hour!

This CD is a brilliant addition to my collection. I am a convert! Duran Duran are the greatest!
on 24 June 2005
As someone who missed Duran Duran properly first time around I found that I knew many of their hits but didn't own any of them. This CD added them to my collection and let me uncover some of their less well-known tracks. If you are from the younger generation like me, or you just want to complete your collection then I recommend you give this item a try.
on 22 January 2004
This compilation has all the best tracks, although maybe missing a couple, in my opinion - 'The Chauffeur' and 'Careless Memories', so I couldn't do without my other favourite album, 'Arena', too!
Having recently listened to the band's live recording of 'Come Undone', I have to admit that I hadn't really given this track, (the last on the compilation) much air time....until recently!
Brilliant!